[1.6.X/1.7X - FORGE] Chests+ v2 - Formerly Colored Chests

dmillerw

Jul 29, 2019
7ih65.png

Decorating your home, but sick of the ugly mismatched chests littering the place? Then give them a splash of customization with Chests+! This mod is incredibly simple, but allows you to dye chests using any of the dye colors Minecraft offers.

Dying a chest is simple, and can be done at any stage.
Crafting a chest and want it to be red? Create a chest like normal but toss a piece of red dye in the middle.
Already have a chest and want to make it green? Just toss it anywhere in the crafting grid along with that beautiful green dye.
Have a brown chest but want it to be blue? Just toss it in a crafting grid with a piece of blue dye.
Already have a chest placed and full of items, simply sneak and right-click with any dye to change its color.
Finally, want to get a normal vanilla chest back? Simply put any colored chest in the crafting grid and receive a vanilla one in return!
Dynamic Chests! Crafted like a normal chest, but with smooth-stone in the middle. Place one in the world and shift-right-click with a block to change the chest's texture.
7jtjI.png
NEW: Lockable chests! Crafting a key (recipe below) and right-clicking on the chest latch will lock it to you and you alone. Unlocking it with that same key will allow anyone to access it.

These chests act just like a single vanilla chest, but they won't connect to adjacent chests, allowing for more compact placement.

Direct Download (1.7.2)
Direct Download (1.6.4)

NOTE: The 1.6.X version hasn't yet been updated to v2. It will be coming shortly.

Installation:
This mod is for 1.7.X (1.7.0 - 1.7.2); grab the files using one of the download links above! I will only be supporting the most current version of Minecraft so please do not ask about updates for 1.6.4.
Installation notes:
This is a Forge mod for Minecraft version 1.7.X. Make sure you are using the latest version of Forge for 1.7.X and put the jar file in your mods folder.

Regarding Mod Packs:
I've had a lot of people ask me about mod packs lately, so this is my official say on the matter. Permission is automatically granted, unless a mod pack is found to be breaking a mod's license/the author's wishes regarding packs, in which case permission is automatically revoked.

Last edited:

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
*drools*

mmmm colours :D

so you will probably get this question asked eventually so might as well put it at the top, but will you add any other functions to the chests like inventory upgrades? or is it just colours?

If you don't want that maybe betterstorage/ironchests support to dye those chests? Anyways, great mod!

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Are these as inefficient as vanilla chests in terms of ticks? I'm debating as to whether or not replacing my entire floor with these in my summer house.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Quick question, do clear chests render the contents of it's inventory like crystal chests in the Iron Chests mod?

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
I had a problem with previous versions of this mod, where when I tried to shift-click to place a block on the back, or any side, of a vanilla chest, it would change it into a dynamic chest with the cover of the block I had used. This would also happen for blocks that weren't full blocks, such as Bibliocraft chest labels or ExtraUtilities Item Transfer Nodes, leading to some... interesting texture effects. Does this still happen? If not, I'm totally getting this again. :)

dmillerw

Jul 29, 2019
Quick question, do clear chests render the contents of it's inventory like crystal chests in the Iron Chests mod?
No, because I honestly didn't see the point. It always could be added though.

I had a problem with previous versions of this mod, where when I tried to shift-click to place a block on the back, or any side, of a vanilla chest, it would change it into a dynamic chest with the cover of the block I had used. This would also happen for blocks that weren't full blocks, such as Bibliocraft chest labels or ExtraUtilities Item Transfer Nodes, leading to some... interesting texture effects. Does this still happen? If not, I'm totally getting this again. :)
It still does this, because that's the method I chose to turn chests into dynamic chests. Now that you mention it though, that is a bit of an issue... I'll probably make dynamic chests simply a crafting recipe.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
I see the point as knowing what's in the chest so you don't go trolling through each chest to find what you want without having to slap a sign near it.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for taking it into consideration, that's really awesome of you.

Just a tip though, the item rendering in Iron Chests reportedly gives performance issues to computers with low specs, not sure if it's fixed yet, but you may want to allow render toggling in the configs just in case for whatever reason in the event you may have the same problem, if you so choose to implement it.

Cheers again.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
It still does this, because that's the method I chose to turn chests into dynamic chests. Now that you mention it though, that is a bit of an issue... I'll probably make dynamic chests simply a crafting recipe.
Thanks for addressing this.
Also, since I was (with all due respect) ninja'd about the performance, I will give voice to my other thought instead: when it gets to the point where you have an army of Soaryn-clear-chests camping in your house, how would you ever find what you're looking for? Items over here, over there... it could be a bit of an organization issue. But at least it would look really neat and future-tech-ish-y --
Oh! Hmm... Transvector Dislocators, linked to a hidden AE network... *brainstorms happen*

dmillerw

Jul 29, 2019
v2.0.1 Released!

Some improvements when interacting with chests
Some improvements to rendering of partially transparent chests
Chests can now be locked (info in OP)