[1.5.2] [Public Mod Pack] ShneekeyCraft: Less Is More!

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
ShneekeyCraft: Less Is More!
A Lightweight Steampunk-themed Public Mod Pack for 1.5.2

Pretty much what it says on the tin. I had two primary driving criteria when deciding which mods to include and which to not include: First: CPU Load, and Second: Steampunk themed. As a third criteria, I needed mods I knew I could include, so I only included those which either had blanket permission granted in their minecraft thread, wiki, or website... or those which had given permission in the General Permissions thread. This makes my life much simpler.

Needless to say, these three criteria significantly restricted the list of mods I had to select from.

So, who might want to use this mod?
  • Someone who is running Minecraft from an older computer without the CPU necessary to run something like the Ultimate Pack
  • Someone who is running a small, private server on their spare machine, and is thus resource-limited
  • Someone new to modded minecraft play, and is wanting to get their feet wet with a simple mod pack that doesn't overwhelm you with too many options
  • Someone who feels that most of the mod packs out there are 'cluttered'
Installation Instructions:
  • Run the FTB Launcher
  • Click on the 'Private Packs' button (just under the Texture packs button on the far top right corner of the launcher)
  • Use the seekret password "ShneekeyCraft". The caps are necessary, the quotes are not.
List of Mods
As per the terms of Railcraft's Mod Pack Permissions post, I will also be listing permissions, as some of these mods do not appear on the General Permissions thread, killing two birds with one stone. I'm probably doing more effort than is necessary here, but I much prefer to err on the side of caution.

I also highly suggest checking out each of these mod authors and their websites, wikis, or forum posts. Many of your questions about these mods can be answered there. If you really enjoy them, show your support!

Suggestions and Tweaks:

Well, I can't fit everything in. So here's some ideas that might help tweak things:
  • Texture Pack. I'd suggest JSTR personally, since it has an excellent steampunk vibe. Keep in mind that I don't think Natura or Tinker's Constructs has any texture packs out yet, so their worldgen might seem a bit out of place
  • For a more 'Magitech' theme, Thaumcraft, Extra Bees, and MagicBees are also easily installed with no Block or Item ID conflicts.

Changelog:
  • Railcraft, Forestry, Buildcraft, Tinker's Constructs, and Natura updated.
  • Invisible Aura block from Railcraft removed. This will break Railman's Goggles functionality, but it was breaking the Tinker's Constructs Smelter functionality as well as interfering with other mods functionality.
  • FINAL 1.5.2 update. All mod authors are now updating for 1.6, this will be a long-term release for 1.5.2.

• Iron Chests updated. Should no longer have problems connecting to BC pipes or interacting with Forestry Backpacks
  • Applied Energistics updated! Check the changelog, this is a major update
  • ADDED: REI's Minimap. Because blanket permission was updated on the page, and why not?
  • All mods updated. General bugfixing and compatibility stuffs happened.
  • DISABLED the Railcraft Aura thingy because it prevented TC's Smeltery from functioning properly. This may break functionality and possibly even cause a crash with the goggles, I would not suggest using them.
  • Updated icon. Now it isn't my face!
  • This *should* be long-term stable, and will hopefully be the final update for 1.5.x

• Update to Forestry and MFR. Better functionality from Rednet and some other changes
  • Harvester now functions properly on berry and oreberry bushes, will not take the bush
  • Certus Quartz and Dust will now fit in your Miner's Backpack
  • SWITCHED CRAFTGUDE FOR NEI. By popular demand.
  • Update to MC Cer 1.5.2
  • Most mods updated to reflect this
  • WARNING! Backup your data, this might cause compatibility issues!
  • Updated Forestry's Backpack.cfg for enhanced cross-mod compatibility
    • Forester's Backpack now accepts Natura Berries and bushes, as well as Natura saplings
    • Forester's Backpack now accepts Tinker's Constructs Oreberries and bushes
    • Adventurer's Backpack updated to be able to hold many tools, including the Minium Stone and TC's tools
  • Hired the Mechanicsburg Bugstomper Squad to squash some bugs.
  • List of mods on splash-page is more correct
1.0.0 - RELEASE!

TO DO List (and known bugs):

• Look at the possibility of including Mekanism
  • Railcraft Goggles bugged out, please do not use

Feel free to post if you encounter any bugs, if you wish to offer constructive criticism, or if you want to share your experiences with us! I'm a big fan of feedback, so let me know what you think!

LeDerpius

Jul 29, 2019
Neat hold off for 1.5, but besides that it doesn't seem to include anything overly unique that the Ultimate Pack doesn't have or won't have once it goes to 1.5. Maybe try to include more "Steampunk-themed" mods as now it doesn't seem to live up to that theme.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Neat hold off for 1.5, but besides that it doesn't seem to include anything overly unique that the Ultimate Pack doesn't have or won't have once it goes to 1.5. Maybe try to include more "Steampunk-themed" mods as now it doesn't seem to live up to that theme.
It can also run on 512MB RAM. Ultimate requires 3GB to run effectively. Hence the term 'lightweight'.

Castaras

Jul 29, 2019
I've been having issues trying to add in mods to the modpack - I find that if I try and add in any mods (Zan minimap, thaumcraft, extra bees) either as a group or a single one of these when loading the modpack the game hangs on "Loading Minecraft Class". Any ideas what's going on?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I've been having issues trying to add in mods to the modpack - I find that if I try and add in any mods (Zan minimap, thaumcraft, extra bees) either as a group or a single one of these when loading the modpack the game hangs on "Loading Minecraft Class". Any ideas what's going on?
I think it is still subject to this bug. I can't even get the pack itself to load yet. I think the only solution here is patience and to wait a while longer.

Castaras

Jul 29, 2019
Huh, weird. Because I'm fine with loading it up normally, it's just the addition of mods causing issues. Interesting.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Odd, it loads up fine for me. Castaras, pastebin the console log.

Castaras

Jul 29, 2019
http://pastebin.com/RGurbsHF this is what happens when I add a mod to the modpack. After the "Loading minecraft class" it loads up nothing else. I can, however, still click in the launcher the edit mod pack button, change versions, all the buttons at the top of the middle tab of the launcher, and click through the different mod packs in the list. dunno if that has relevance as well.Will add in what happens when I don't add any extra mods.

Edit: I tried loading it up without mods, and it hung. A force update through the launcher allowed it to load up fine and dandy.

http://pastebin.com/zuHJ7vRn here's the pastebin when I force updated.

Beppin

Jul 29, 2019
I am experiencing the same freezing at the minecraft class line. If i delete the Shneeky folder and let it download everything again; it will run and allow me to create a game etc, except i won't have any sound.

When i exit the game and relaunch it says that an update is found, would i like to backup configs and then proceed to just hang at the "Loading minecraft class"

http://pastebin.com/FVS7Urdu

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Ahha. There is a file I put in the bin folder that tells the launcher which version of minecraft to use. If it is the recommended version of the pack, it doesn't use that file, but as soon as you "change" the pack by adding a mod, it tries to download 1.4.7, since I apparently put the wrong file in. I'll get a fixed version up. Wait about an hour from this message to it to cache on the repo and force update.

Reactions: Goggles998

Goggles998

Jul 29, 2019
I put the pack into MultiMc to solve the problem above. I love the pack, I never thought I would like a single power infrastructure this much. Thank you!

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Actually, I'm getting an interesting problem with not being able to download from the repo. Pastebin

EDIT: Replacing the lwjgl files (including natives) allowed me to load, but it comes up vanilla. Pastebin. Looks like it is having a problem with not making an instMods folder

EDIT2: Manually creating an instMods folder doesn't help much either

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
Oh wow, thank you so much for putting this together - you're awesome.

I'm going to try to manually add TC. Are you using standard FTB configs?

Thanks again <3

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Oh wow, thank you so much for putting this together - you're awesome.

I'm going to try to manually add TC. Are you using standard FTB configs?

Thanks again <3
Actually, most of the configs are 'default settings'. The only mod that conflicted was Microblocks used the same block as one of the forestry blocks, so I moved it to 500/501. Thinking back on it, I probably should have used the standard FTB configs. However, now I'm caught in the position of 'if I change the configs, I'll ruin everyone's worlds because the configs changed'.

There were a few config tweaks I did. I removed the Nitro Creeper spawning by default (you can still turn it back on if you want), I disabled 'core' MPS recipes and enabled the TE MPS Recipes. As a result, I also tweaked Silver spawning upwards slightly, because Wire now requires 6x copper and 3x silver for 8x wires. But most of the Block and Item ID's I left alone.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
First try launching the launcher as administrator. If that doesn't work, delete the ShneekeyCraft folder in your install location.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
First try launching the launcher as administrator. If that doesn't work, delete the ShneekeyCraft folder in your install location.
Ummm.... I run Linux, not Windows. However, I ran it through Sudo, which is effectively root-level access even after deleting the ShneekeyCraft folder, and the same problem happened.

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
I added a few mods and it's playing really well. So just an FYI: extra bees, Thaumcraft and Thaumic bees are easily added if anyone was interested.

Thanks again :)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I added a few mods and it's playing really well. So just an FYI: extra bees, Thaumcraft and Thaumic bees are easily added if anyone was interested.

Thanks again :)
Included in the 'suggestions and tweaks' section. Thanks for experimenting!

I ultimately decided against Thaumcraft in the main mod pack because a) it is fairly resource intensive, and b) it was more magic than tech. However, for those who want to include them, it is nice that it is easy to do so.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Ummm.... I run Linux, not Windows. However, I ran it through Sudo, which is effectively root-level access even after deleting the ShneekeyCraft folder, and the same problem happened.
Well, the issue is the launcher not properly deleting all the files before trying to put the new ones in. So delete the ShneekyCraft folder.