Closed 1.2.0: Emeralds not part of World Gen? [SOLVED]

Fearlessagent

Jul 29, 2019
Version:

What is the bug:
I know this was an issue at some point and it was resolved. I knew nothing about it until i went looking for others with the same issue.

Truth is I've just recently got back into Minecraft, so my world was generated with version 1.2.0. I set up in an Extreme Hills Biome, specifically for the Emeralds and it turns out they don't generate.

I have confirmed this through NEI. If you look at the recipes for diamonds (item), there is a page which shows the ore-gen for it. In fact this is the case for all ores/items. This is not the case for emeralds and only gives you spawns in Dungeon Chests. I haven't edited any of the config, so this is a fresh install of FTB Infinity v1.2.0 for Minecraft 1.7.10

I find all of this strange because I know others - including streamers have found emerald in 1.2.0 generated worlds. Please let me know what else I can do to provide information.

Mod & Version:

Paste.feed-the-beast.com log:

Can it be repeated:
Yes? I can. Creating additional worlds doesn't change anything and I've re-downloaded the modpack a couple times from scratch by now. This works with Normal World Type or Biomes O' Plenty.

Known Fix:
Unknown - don't have much experience with how much these mods have changed in the past year or two.

Note: The config/cofh/world/Vanilla.json doesn't include an entry for emerald with every other vanilla ore, but this might not be part of the fix and could be intended.

Swiegetank

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. They do spawn. They are just extremely rare. In 27 chunks of extreme hills i have found 7 emerald ore. (This is on a 1.2.0 world)

Also keep in mind that they spawn in highland and mountain biomes from BOP.
As well as nether emerald ore being available.

Fearlessagent

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. They do spawn. They are just extremely rare. In 27 chunks of extreme hills i have found 7 emerald ore. (This is on a 1.2.0 world)

Also keep in mind that they spawn in highland and mountain biomes from BOP.
As well as nether emerald ore being available.

Any reason why you think the ore-gen for emerald doesn't show in NEI even though it does for all others? Also I'll add I've opened the world in MCEdit and flown around my world (mostly Extreme Hills since I've specifically explored and stayed inside of it). While the biome is actually quite large I haven't found a single emerald ore. Either the emerald generation rate is rare beyond belief or they aren't spawning at all.

I still think they aren't spawning - mostly because of NEI and the COFH config file I mentioned in the OP. Would you be able to confirm these two things are the same for you as well with you finding emeralds? If we can rule those two out I guess I'll have to look around even more than I already have for emerald.

Swiegetank

Jul 29, 2019
It doesn't have a NEI display because it doesnt a cofh config. It doesn't have a cofh config because emerald ore can not be altered at this point in time. Its a forge limitation.
To quote King Lemming himself
"..." Forge doesn't expose emeralds as something that can be replaced.

You can add new ones, that works. "...". But you're stuck with the vanilla default spawns in addition. It's a Forge issue, sorry.

https://github.com/CoFH/Feedback/issues/239

Emeralds appear in biomes that are coded to have them, with a low spawn rate.

Emerald spawn rate was severely decreased between 1.6x and 1.7x versions of minecraft.
The best source of emeralds at this point in time is villagers. Breeding/spawning them and liquefying them in a tico smeltery.

Fearlessagent

Jul 29, 2019
It doesn't have a NEI display because it doesnt a cofh config. It doesn't have a cofh config because emerald ore can not be altered at this point in time. Its a forge limitation.
To quote King Lemming himself

https://github.com/CoFH/Feedback/issues/239

Emeralds appear in biomes that are coded to have them, with a low spawn rate.

Emerald spawn rate was severely decreased between 1.6x and 1.7x versions of minecraft.
The best source of emeralds at this point in time is villagers. Breeding/spawning them and liquefying them in a tico smeltery.

Well that makes some sense. With all the modded ores added it effectively decreases the likelyhood that emeralds is the ore that spawns. I guess I also expected that since BoP overrides vanilla biomes, it would be able to specify that in a way, but apparently not. Thanks for your help.

Swiegetank

Jul 29, 2019
Well that makes some sense. With all the modded ores added it effectively decreases the likelyhood that emeralds is the ore that spawns. I guess I also expected that since BoP overrides vanilla biomes, it would be able to specify that in a way, but apparently not. Thanks for your help.

Quite a few BOP biomes can spawn emeralds, its just the vanilla spawn rate was decreased a lot. I find myself lucky if i see 1 emerald ore in 5 chunks of extreme hills.