[1.12.2] Factory Tech: A challenging automation-focused tech mod (October 29: 1.6)

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
This is very similar to how the immersive engineering Excavator works. Each chunk has a chance of having some vein, supposedly below bedrock. The presence type and size of the vein are generated and stored per chunk, abstractly. You can find this information with a core sample drill.
Once you find a vein you like, you place an Excavator and let it "mine" the vein in that chunk.

That's a good point - I definitely don't want to just copy IE's functionality. Any thoughts on how I could make it more original?

EDIT: Hmm, what if the Mining Machine gave you a generic ore slurry that gave different things depending on how you process it?

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
That's a good point - I definitely don't want to just copy IE's functionality. Any thoughts on how I could make it more original?

EDIT: Hmm, what if the Mining Machine gave you a generic ore slurry that gave different things depending on how you process it?
I like this as an idea! Then different processing techniques will give different amounts of different types of materials? One other thing you could do is get it to produce a generic named "ore batch" that perhaps has connected attributes, such as size and average density (visible to the player) and metals content (hidden) say? Something like that anyway; and you could try and throw it through your processing dependent on density (so higher density is more likely to contain lead or gold, for example), or perhaps examine it to determine the type of ore batch you've got and then process it?

Reactions: lucariomaster2

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
I like this as an idea! Then different processing techniques will give different amounts of different types of materials? One other thing you could do is get it to produce a generic named "ore batch" that perhaps has connected attributes, such as size and average density (visible to the player) and metals content (hidden) say? Something like that anyway; and you could try and throw it through your processing dependent on density (so higher density is more likely to contain lead or gold, for example), or perhaps examine it to determine the type of ore batch you've got and then process it?

That's a good idea in theory, but I don't think I really like it, mostly because it would mean each ore batch would have to have NBT data, meaning they wouldn't stack, which would be a massive pain for automation.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
That's a good idea in theory, but I don't think I really like it, mostly because it would mean each ore batch would have to have NBT data, meaning they wouldn't stack, which would be a massive pain for automation.
Yep, you're absolutely right - I think that might work for a different mod, but not for what you want to do here :) I'm just nerding out a bit, don't mind me!

I think your ore slurry is a great idea, and the concept of different processing circuits for different returns fits with what you've mentioned so far.

EDIT: Am I right in thinking you've got some electricity going on? I'm wondering if you could have some sort of electrowinning process for getting copper, a la how its done in real life...

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
EDIT: Am I right in thinking you've got some electricity going on? I'm wondering if you could have some sort of electrowinning process for getting copper, a la how its done in real life...

Yes, you are right - there's the electroplater which is currently used to redouble ground ores to get 4x duplication overall. I'm thinking about having a magnetic processor for iron/nickel and then electroplating for copper and gold. For nonmetals I'll probably either have the Miner pull up a separate type of product (something like "Unprocessed Ore" vs. "Sparkling Ore" representing its high Redstone content) which can then be centrifuged to get Redstone/Lapis/Coal. Diamonds would be pulled up directly but very rarely.

The only thing left to consider would be integration for ores from other mods, which I'm still trying to figure out a good way to do.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Yes, you are right - there's the electroplater which is currently used to redouble ground ores to get 4x duplication overall. I'm thinking about having a magnetic processor for iron/nickel and then electroplating for copper and gold. For nonmetals I'll probably either have the Miner pull up a separate type of product (something like "Unprocessed Ore" vs. "Sparkling Ore" representing its high Redstone content) which can then be centrifuged to get Redstone/Lapis/Coal. Diamonds would be pulled up directly but very rarely.

The only thing left to consider would be integration for ores from other mods, which I'm still trying to figure out a good way to do.
Sounds awesome! :) very cool!

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
Just uploaded 1.3.5, which means two main things.

First, machine parts now only stack to 4. This was done to force, to at least some degree, actual moving production lines instead of the significantly less interesting mass-craft-and-stash strategy. There's an option in the config file to change the maximum part stack size.

Second, the Mining Machine now gives Ore Chunks on occasion. They can be ground up and either centrifuged (using the new Magnetic Centrifuge) to get ferrous metals, or Electroplated to get iron and nickel. They also hold the dubious honour of having the worst artwork in the mod. I still consider their processing flowchart to be a work in progress - would people please give their feedback on them?

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
Here's something I'd like to get everyone's ideas and input on.

Right now, Factory Tech has a lot of machines, but most of them are purely for progression. Of those that aren't, such as the Potion Mixer, pretty much none really feel like ones that you would go out of your way to try to automate. Basically, I want to add more optional machines.

Sentry turrets are cool and all, and I probably will add them at some point, but in all honesty they're very fleshed out in other mods and there's not much point to them with only FT and Vanilla. I'm also going to add a machine to generate RF from Batteries and Cores, although that's a very minor thing. My question to you guys is: what machines do you want to see, that don't belong to the progression line but that would still be worth putting in effort to automate? An important note is that the required automation doesn't have to be limited to part consumption!

C

Closet Gamer

Here's something I'd like to get everyone's ideas and input on.

Right now, Factory Tech has a lot of machines, but most of them are purely for progression. Of those that aren't, such as the Potion Mixer, pretty much none really feel like ones that you would go out of your way to try to automate. Basically, I want to add more optional machines.

Sentry turrets are cool and all, and I probably will add them at some point, but in all honesty they're very fleshed out in other mods and there's not much point to them with only FT and Vanilla. I'm also going to add a machine to generate RF from Batteries and Cores, although that's a very minor thing. My question to you guys is: what machines do you want to see, that don't belong to the progression line but that would still be worth putting in effort to automate? An important note is that the required automation doesn't have to be limited to part consumption!
I would open this question up to Reddit - there seems to be a lot of suggestions going on there.

------------------------
My Age of Engineering Series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUZaEaeCvlj6ChY3jks-N8rW74_3qEtmD

U

umbrood

This might not be the place for it, but what was your intended tool for controlling the redstone signal for the tempering oven? ( Playing modern skyblock and can not get passed this point ).

If anyone else have any hints, please help? ;)

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
This might not be the place for it, but what was your intended tool for controlling the redstone signal for the tempering oven? ( Playing modern skyblock and can not get passed this point ).

If anyone else have any hints, please help? ;)

Vanilla Repeater chain + T Flip-flop or Piston tape :p

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
Hoping someone will be able to help me out here. What needs to be done so that custom entities respond to the player right-clicking them? I've narrowed the problem down to them not showing up in raytraces, probably because I've forgotten to register them somewhere.

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
Nevertheless, 1.3.8 is now released, which does not have the entities mentioned above but does have a few nice tweaks!

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
It's been far too long, but I'm pleased to announce that Factory Tech 1.4 is released! Changelog is on the main page, as usual. A lot of things have changed behind the scenes, so please report any problems you find!

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
As a bit of an update, right now I'm working on more forms of automation, as well as rewriting conveyors to store items internally instead of transporting item entities, to help reduce lag.

Reactions: Nuclear_Creeper0

mathwiz617

Apr 29, 2015
First off, a bug report: Gold Wire Motors require a part that doesn't exist (sawblade-7.name, or metadata 7), where instead they should require a gold wire (wire-1, or metadata 21). This is with standard recipes.

Next, I'm looking to make a pack with Factory Tech integrated into the progression line. Any suggestions on how to do this? I'm thinking about using energy cores and tempered parts for "set and fill with RF" style machines, and perhaps filling power cells with energite instead of destabilized redstone.

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
First off, a bug report: Gold Wire Motors require a part that doesn't exist (sawblade-7.name, or metadata 7), where instead they should require a gold wire (wire-1, or metadata 21). This is with standard recipes.

Next, I'm looking to make a pack with Factory Tech integrated into the progression line. Any suggestions on how to do this? I'm thinking about using energy cores and tempered parts for "set and fill with RF" style machines, and perhaps filling power cells with energite instead of destabilized redstone.

Gold wire motors are fixed for the next version. For integrating the mod into a pack, those sound like great ideas! I think my only suggestion would be to avoid doing what MSB3 did, where it gated a ton of stuff behind Factory Tech but then only required you to make a bunch of machines to "complete" it.

Also, I'm planning on the next release having some RF generators that can use batteries and cores. Of course, Factory Tech wouldn't have anything to actually use the RF, but you could use it in other mods.

Last edited:

mathwiz617

Apr 29, 2015
Gold wire motors are fixed for the next version. For integrating the mod into a pack, those sound like great ideas! I think my only suggestion would be to avoid doing what MSB3 did, where it gated a ton of stuff behind Factory Tech but then only required you to make a bunch of machines to "complete" it.

Also, I'm planning on the next release having some RF generators that can use batteries and cores. Of course, Factory Tech wouldn't have anything to actually use the RF, but you could use it in other mods.

Oh, that sounds fun!

On another note, there's a bug causing crashes with the book. When viewing the entry about energy core stabilization (page starts with "Several things can go wrong"), clicking one page further will crash the game (not sure if client + server, or just client).

EDIT: The crash log: https://hastebin.com/ereqacugaz.cs