1.0.2: Swapping dimensions lag

djmulder

Jul 29, 2019
Version:

What is the bug:
I've read about that there's a memory leak regarding (any) dimensions. I just couldn't find the fix for it and it seems to be affecting me.

So what's happening: well when you swap dimensions in any way (be it nether/be it the end/be it mystcraft) it get's sluggier and sluggier the more often you swap.

I've seen ppl talk about it showing in the logs, I just couldn't find it in mine. Server seems fine although lately I'm getting kicked from my server due to a timeout, so it "might" be affected.

I tried to use fastcraft to fix it. But that didn't seem to do the trick.

Mod & Version:

Paste.feed-the-beast.com log:

Can it be repeated:
Well for me it's repeatable just when swapping dimensions.

Known Fix:
That's what I'm looking for

Pontiac

Jul 29, 2019
I can also confirm for 1.0.3. Had a first gen I7-960 w/ 12gig of 1600mhz DDR3 running primarily off an nVidia GTX570. I upgraded to an I7-4760 w/ 16gig of 1800+mhz this past weekend and still noticing lag after even 3 swaps between dimensions. In my case, I added the mining dimension, but, just swapping between dim 0 and the nether I notice problems crop up. Restarting the client seems to work. Server is running on an i5 via GIG E on my LAN through one gigE switch. Both my new rig and the server machine are literally touching cases at the moment.

Edit: As per DW suggestion, I tried installing FastCraft on the client. For a bit, things were smooth, but I couldn't break 60fps. After about 40 minutes, started to go down to 6fps and hit around a steady 20. Restarting the client works. Memory leaks I be thinking. Attempting to get opis running to see if I can find anything else

Last edited:

tindin

Jul 29, 2019
ok the easyest way to say this....

when you switch maps your using (client side) 2 x the amount of resource to do so. The map your on doesn't just unload the moment you switch to a new map and the new map needs to generate so for a few mins (not sure the real time) your client is running and loading 2 maps.

Pontiac

Jul 29, 2019
Even with that said, switching between a max of 3 dimensions on an i7 3.6ghz machine and only a single chunk loader that is 3x3 in my mining world shouldn't drop my frames down to practically nothing in a matter of an hour or so. I just finished playing for about an hour and going from my mining realm, which was hitting 80fps to start, to the main dimension (dim0) and then to the Nether SHOULDN'T knock my brand new machine down to an average of 12fps, yet, it did just now. The actual switch from the mining realm to the main dimension (Which was day, so no mobs) to the nether was probably about 30 blocks away, start to finish I'd say.

I also turned FTB up in logging and I didn't see any kind of error messages during game play. I need to figure out Opis and see if it is reporting anything odd, but I'm having permission problems.

To note, even though I'm running as a server, I'm the ONLY player on it. It is 100% private.

tindin

Jul 29, 2019
sorry the way your all saying it it just sounds like your bounching from one wold to the other over and over again.

Pontiac

Jul 29, 2019
And with what you've said, I'd have a max of 3 dimensions loaded and running, chewing at CPU. So even if I swapped 30 times between all three dimensions, it'd still be a maximum of 3 dimensions loaded and running, not 90 (And if that were the case, having 90 dimensions running, I would expect UI lag). On an quad core, 8-threaded system, running ONLY as a client, 3 dimensions shouldn't kill a system as fast as it is. And even then, the dimensions should be loaded and unloaded at the server, not the client. The server is running on a completely different machine. My problem is 100% client side. The server is showing very little use when I'm not using it. The frames do NOT recover, even after just sitting idle. CPU use continues to climb.

I just built this machine this past Saturday, and running a brand new install of Win7. No AV software, all drivers up to date (Other than Java. Running on the most recent of 1.7 I can use due to work related material I'll eventually have to expose this machine to) and no crapware installed.

Tomorrow after work, I'm going to install vanilla MC and swap between Dim0 and the nether several times and see if I start getting UI lag. Right now, I gotta go to bed.

Trisscar

Jul 29, 2019
I have to agree with Pon on this one, long play sessions get progressively worse much faster if you go anywhere dimension-wise. This noting that eventually you will lose some fps even if you stay home, but it's a lot more noticeable and affected if you don't.

tindin

Jul 29, 2019
if it is happening with the default maps nether over world then there really isn't anyone can do other then restart the client.

you could take out ever mod that does some kind of world gen and mob spawning and add them one by one and see if you can find the one that is making it happen, And then see if it's the way it's doing it or if it's the way forge is handling it that is causing the the lag/leak(?).

Trisscar

Jul 29, 2019
Much better, thank you.
I've mostly noticed it happening with the nether and deep dark recently, as those are the two I've been working in. Oddly, having an ender quarry in the DD doesn't seem to be causing major issues, but swapping to it does. I don't happen to remember if having my lava pump running was causing lag, but I can turn it on later to check.

tindin

Jul 29, 2019
if it's the ender pump then it has been known to cause funny things for random ppl. Bad ticks loading unloading maps cause massive lag

Dannyaaaa

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried using F3 + A to reload your chunks or lowering your render distance? I don't have the best laptop, but doing that takes me from 10-15 fps to 25-30. It might be because you computer is loading 2 or 3 world's chunks at the same time, and F3 + A will unload all chunks, then load the ones around you.

Pontiac

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is a memory leak during warp between worlds, which seems to only exist in moded minecraft, but not 100% sure if it is directly dealing with just forge or if it is a mod. With the FTB loader, I downloaded a new instance of Infinity. I went into creative mode, created a portal to the nether, walked back and forth between the dimensions, and the memory used kept going up by 100s of megs. I then went to DW and noted the same thing. I installed a fresh copy of stock MC 1.7.10 and did the same thing with the portal, and at about 500meg of memory used in total. The memory count did go from about 300 to 500, but ended up not going any further.

Next, probably tomorrow, going to get just forge going, no mods, and see what else I can dig up.