1.0.1: Rampaging MFR Harvester

Trisscar

Jul 29, 2019
Version:

What is the bug:
So I've built my base in a jungle biome next to a large lake. I set up a 5x5 area a bit away from the trees with a harvester/planter setup, so I wouldn't have to deforest the area to get wood. I've had giant trees in it before, and nothing untoward has occurred.

This time I threw some jungle saplings in and went to go do research for a while. I was underground for about an hour or so, and didn't realize that the harvester's chest was half full when I left.
I resurfaced to grab some materials, and went to check on the harvester's progress. The chest was full, so there was a giant mass of jungle tree in the middle of the 5x5 plot. So I grabbed some stuff out of the chest to start it up again.

Imagine my surprise when, instead of working on the mass of tree, I heard leaves being sheared in the tree line behind me.
Long story short, I ended up having to use MCEdit to repopulate about ten to twelve chunks of jungle biome, because the harvester decided that a lapis (+1 range on all sides) upgrade meant that it had to harvest everything in a several mile radius. XD

I'm inclined to think this is a bug or a piece of hidden bad coding of some kind (though likely not ftb's fault) since I've had this setup running for quite a while, and it's done giant jungle trees many times. Plus this session I was having issues with frame rate and things not appearing when I placed them.

Mod & Version:
Minefactory Reloaded

Paste.feed-the-beast.com log:

Can it be repeated:
I'd rather not repeat it to be honest. XD

Known Fix:

Yaeger

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if it is a bug, I think this has been the way the MFR harvester has been working for quite some time now. The harvester starts harvesting on trees within its catch area. The trees however can grow outside of that area, but the harvester will harvest that as well. Now, if a tree inside the catch area touches a tree outside of the area, it will continue harvesting the tree outside of it as well. I 'lost' several trees in this way. I also harvester trees in this way, by connecting up trees with leaf blocks.

You can test this in a world, just create a 'line of trees', and put a harvester at one end ;)

yoy1zoz2mom3

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, harvesters harvest inside its harvesting area but also anything the harvesters harvestee is touching of a wooden or leafy nature and so on ad infinatum