1.0.0: Invisible Gems

Nitrogue

Jul 29, 2019
Version:

What is the bug:
Not sure if this is a bug or something else.

When I have been mining I have been finding ore viens as you would expect. Some of these veins have ores like emerald, ruby and saphires in them but they just appear as normal stone blocks in the world. I only saw them because of waila. When as an item (i.e. after you have mined them) they have a proper texture.

Any help?

Thanks

Mod & Version:

Paste.feed-the-beast.com log:

Can it be repeated:

Known Fix:

retep998

NoLifeBunny
Wiki Staff
Dec 31, 2012
Worcester, Massachusetts
This can be caused by desynchronization between the server and client where the server doesn't realize that an ore block is visible to the client and forgets to send data on which ore it is.

Reactions: Nitrogue

Nitrogue

Jul 29, 2019
Ok thanks. Do you know of any way to fix this?
Yes this is on a SMP server, but it is a new server with a new provider started about 1-2 weeks ago so there are bound to be a few hiccups.
This might aso explain why when mining some blocks have visually changed from being a stone block to an ore block when exposed.

Athyrio

Jul 29, 2019
This happens on my world as well. Seen it in several YouTube streams. Folks say it is part of Greg Tech to prevent X-Ray// But if this is a bug, I can repeat it

Nitrogue

Jul 29, 2019
Well if it is to prevent xray it will have a problem as:
1. I reckon they'll still show as they are still defined as ore blocks and not stone (its only a visual bug)
2. You'll be able to see the mass of other ores that surround the ores, i.e. berylium around emeralds.
Im not sure how xray mods work, so these points may be invalid.

retep998

NoLifeBunny
Wiki Staff
Dec 31, 2012
Worcester, Massachusetts
It has nothing to do with x-ray.
Because GregTech has so many ores, it would consume the limited amount of block IDs if he used that, so instead he has to send the data about which ore it is in a separate packet.
Due to concerns and complaints regarding excessive network bandwidth usage, GregTech now only sends that information once the ore is visible.
Unfortunately this means that when you first uncover an ore it looks like stone until the packet is sent from the server, which may take a while if your server is lagging excessively.
If for whatever reason the packet is never sent, and it remains looking like stone forever, then that is indeed a bug, and is most likely due to a mod breaking some blocks in a non-standard way that doesn't send block updates to neighboring blocks.

Reactions: SatanicSanta