1.0.0: Extremely Prolonged Start-Up

finalfrontiersman64

Jul 29, 2019
Version:

What is the bug:
Launching the pack is extremely slow, as is some loading within the game. From clicking launch, it takes about 8 minutes to reach the Minecraft title screen, with most of that time spent on the white Mojang screen. Furthermore, opening a world takes around 3 minutes. Once I'm in the world, however, things usually run smoothly. This is admittedly my first foray into modded Minecraft, but this seems wrong...

Mod & Version:

Paste.feed-the-beast.com log:
http://paste.feed-the-beast.com/view/30ff8b8b

Can it be repeated:
Yes, every time.

Known Fix:
None known.

Sen-Mithrarin

Jul 29, 2019
Well, reading the log makes some guesses possible.

1) Java ! It seems there is something odd with your Java-installation. There is a really old 1.6 as system-lib and a 1.7 as "internet plugin". You should clean this up be completely removing anything Java-related and install the latest JRE from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html (use the jre-8u25-macosx-x64.dmg file).
2) low RAM : your log shows that you have 4GB total but only 1GB free (at least at the time this log was created). The current DW-pack needs at least 2GB FREE to even run, 4GB is recommended. So if poissible a RAM-upgrade to 8GB might help. If a RAM-upgrade isn't possible you should make clear to close all unneeded applications to get as much free RAM as possible. If you can't get enough free RAM ... welll ... there is no other solution.
3) maybe old/bad/very slow hard-drive : Ok, even on my system the pack takes up a few seconds to boot up, but 8 minutes ? There must be something really wrong. Mostly such problems are caused by an old hard-drive wich is about to die. A slow HDD and very low free RAM ... there is a lot of swapping wich need even more system-resources and slowing down the loading ...

Overall : the loading-times you stated shows that there are only 2 reasons likely : your system is just to old and have enough power ... or there is something really wrong that should be fixed soon.

FInaldeath

Jul 29, 2019
I really wish Oracle would stop using java applets to update java so that it could uninstall old versions when installing the newest version without us having to go back and do it manually, makes updating fairly useless since stuff tends to continue using the first version installed for some reason. I always forget to remove the old version because i am used to everything else doing it automatically.

Sen-Mithrarin

Jul 29, 2019
Well, Java-installers never removed older versions, so there is no difference if you are forced by an applet or if you are using the "retail" version. Java only installs new version, or do, if enabled, in-place updates. The removal of older versions was ever done by the user, never by the installer of the new version.
Also, the convenience that older versions got removed or replaced by newer one is done by your systems software management. So it's not Suns/Oracles fault as the way the installers work was never changed.

I don't know the Mac version, but on Windows and Linux the installer change system-configs (on windows it changes the registry) so only the latest installed version is used (that's way you have to install x86 first and x64 second on a windows-system so that the x64 is used as system-default). And if I have to guess I would say that the same is done on Mac. Also the current FTB-launcher has a auto-detection code wich scans the system and selects the latest JVM. So it should be ok if you just install the latest version.
The hint to clean up the system before installing the latest version is to prevent well known issues when different JREs installed the same time.

FInaldeath

Jul 29, 2019
Well, Java-installers never removed older versions, so there is no difference if you are forced by an applet or if you are using the "retail" version. Java only installs new version, or do, if enabled, in-place updates. The removal of older versions was ever done by the user, never by the installer of the new version.
Also, the convenience that older versions got removed or replaced by newer one is done by your systems software management. So it's not Suns/Oracles fault as the way the installers work was never changed.

I don't know the Mac version, but on Windows and Linux the installer change system-configs (on windows it changes the registry) so only the latest installed version is used (that's way you have to install x86 first and x64 second on a windows-system so that the x64 is used as system-default). And if I have to guess I would say that the same is done on Mac. Also the current FTB-launcher has a auto-detection code wich scans the system and selects the latest JVM. So it should be ok if you just install the latest version.
The hint to clean up the system before installing the latest version is to prevent well known issues when different JREs installed the same time.

It does remove old versions and has for a while, the problem is since the update installer is java based it cannot uninstall the version you installed prior to the one you are actually installing, this is why i said i wish it used a regular installer so that it could cleanly remove all old files to replace with the new ones. I am aware that some programs are smart enough to use the most recent version, the problem is not all programs are. Then on top of that the problem like you mentioned of issues coming up now and then related to still having an older version on your system. This wouldn't be an issue if the Java developers would stop being lazy and make a proper updating tool, specially if they want to stay relevant for much longer, the only reason many people even install java anymore is because of Minecraft and it will stay that way until they get their act together and stop acting like it's the 90's.