FTB Infinity mod choices

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

totalhamman

Jul 29, 2019
Since I was unable to find any other threads regarding this, figured I would start one.

When looking over the modlist for Infinity I noticed a couple odd omissions. I know there are probably extremely well-thought out reasons for their lack of inclusion, however I am curious to know of the reasons before I add them in myself.

RotaryCraft / ReactorCraft:
I'm assuming they were not included due to the API issues. He mentioned in his thread on minecraftforum about 24 hours ago that those are fixed, but no indication of stable release.

Reliquary:
Honestly curious why this was not included.

Mekanism:
I am a huge fan of this mod for the cool things you can do with it, also curious why not included.

Obsidiplates:
I'm assuming this was simply missed as I cannot think of a logical reason for it not to be included.

Stackie:
Same reason above.

Galaticacraft:
With Mystcraft, RFTools, and Twilight Forest I am assuming this was not included to lower total number of dimensions possible for server stability. But curious if there was another reason.

PneumaticCraft:
Another fun mod with cool things to do. Only reason for not including I can think of is the plants, but those are highly configurable in the config file.

Now for the super controversial one...
VeinMiner:
I LOVE this mod, though admit it can be super-OP. If the reason is it's OP nature, PortableJim uploaded an addon tonight to Curse that forces VeinMiner to be an enchant for tools / modifier for TinkersConstruct.

I am sure there are other mods that people like / are missing from the pack. If anyone involved with making the pack could briefly explain reasons behind these and other common mods not being included that would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I'm assuming they were not included due to the API issues. He mentioned in his thread on minecraftforum about 24 hours ago that those are fixed, but no indication of stable release.
You can easily fix the API/version issues yourself; the main reason they are not present, as far as I have been told, is because FTB wants to focus on RF for tech mods, since it is far more popular.

totalhamman

Jul 29, 2019
You can easily fix the API/version issues yourself; the main reason they are not present, as far as I have been told, is because FTB wants to focus on RF for tech mods, since it is far more popular.
If you don't mind my asking, how would I go about fixing the API issues? Is it a certain combination of mod versions or some other trickery?

The reason I ask is I attempted to drop RotaryCraft into the Direwolf20 pack but kept getting NoSuchMethod errors and could not find any solutions in my brief Google search attempts. I assumed it was something that would be addressed by you at some point so decided to keep an eye on your forum post until then.

As far as the RF reason, I can see that. Though it makes IC2's inclusion odd if that is the reason.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Obsidiplates:
I'm assuming this was simply missed as I cannot think of a logical reason for it not to be included.
EnderIO has basically the same thing, and ObsidiPlates is obsoleting it.

Mekanism:
I am a huge fan of this mod for the cool things you can do with it, also curious why not included.
It was not in Monster either. And they already have EnderIO, TE and IC2.

VeinMiner:
I LOVE this mod, though admit it can be super-OP. If the reason is it's OP nature, PortableJim uploaded an addon tonight to Curse that forces VeinMiner to be an enchant for tools / modifier for TinkersConstruct.
I agree. The addon would be nice.

But then again, they did include IC2. Maybe it's because the pack is already large enough.

totalhamman

Jul 29, 2019
It was not in Monster either. And they already have EnderIO, TE and IC2.

None of those mods has the Digital Miner or the RF Windmills. I'm sure given enough time I could find other items in Mekanism that are not mirrored in the other mods.

True, it was not in Monster, but that is not a reason to ignore a mod in my opinion.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
If you don't mind my asking, how would I go about fixing the API issues? Is it a certain combination of mod versions or some other trickery?

For the most part, deleting the API from DragonAPI works. The only exceptions are WAILA, where you have to also add the new API, and BC 6.3, which is not an API issue but a mod incompatibility.

totalhamman

Jul 29, 2019
For the most part, deleting the API from DragonAPI works. The only exceptions are WAILA, where you have to also add the new API, and BC 6.3, which is not an API issue but a mod incompatibility.
Is this mod incompatibility as a result of Asie's changes in 6.3? If so is it something you can / are planning on addressing?

The reason I ask is I only recently started looking into RC and was going to add it into the next big kitchen-sink pack I played. But if BC 6.3 and RC cannot live together that forces some very hard decisions. I don't want to have to choose between one of the other.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder what the Buildcraft API is used for, since Buildcraft uses RF

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Is this mod incompatibility as a result of Asie's changes in 6.3? If so is it something you can / are planning on addressing?

The reason I ask is I only recently started looking into RC and was going to add it into the next big kitchen-sink pack I played. But if BC 6.3 and RC cannot live together that forces some very hard decisions. I don't want to have to choose between one of the other.
Already fixed in v4.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
None of those mods has the Digital Miner or the RF Windmills. I'm sure given enough time I could find other items in Mekanism that are not mirrored in the other mods.
True, it was not in Monster, but that is not a reason to ignore a mod in my opinion.
Pack designers don't need reasons to "ignore" mods, they need sufficient reasons to include it. A few blocks that aren't perfectly duplicated in other mods may not qualify, particularly if adding that mod (hypothetically) creates more trouble than its worth (by, for instance, rendering piles of other mods or mechanics irrelevant)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Pack designers don't need reasons to "ignore" mods, they need sufficient reasons to include it. A few blocks that aren't perfectly duplicated in other mods may not qualify, particularly if adding that mod (hypothetically) creates more trouble than its worth (by, for instance, rendering piles of other mods or mechanics irrelevant)
Or obnoxious worldgen (whick Mekanism does not have, but some "why is this mod not installed?" mods do), or things like tickhandlers that generate CPU load even if the mod is unused.

Reactions: Padfoote and Pyure

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
This^, this is great.

Since I was unable to find any other threads regarding this, figured I would start one.

When looking over the modlist for Infinity I noticed a couple odd omissions. I know there are probably extremely well-thought out reasons for their lack of inclusion, however I am curious to know of the reasons before I add them in myself.

Reliquary:
Honestly curious why this was not included.

Mekanism:

Obsidiplates:

Stackie:
Same reason above.

Galaticacraft:
With Mystcraft, RFTools, and Twilight Forest I am assuming this was not included to lower total number of dimensions possible for server stability. But curious if there was another reason.

PneumaticCraft:
Another fun mod with cool things to do. Only reason for not including I can think of is the plants, but those are highly configurable in the config file.

Now for the super controversial one...
VeinMiner:

I am sure there are other mods that people like / are missing from the pack. If anyone involved with making the pack could briefly explain reasons behind these and other common mods not being included that would be appreciated.

It is a kitchen sink pack, so if you want to add those mods then you could do that yourself.

Reactions: Padfoote

totalhamman

Jul 29, 2019
It is a kitchen sink pack, so if you want to add those mods then you could do that yourself.

I was planning on adding each of them unless there was some specific incompatibility that would prevent that from working. I'm probably not going to add Obsidiplates because I forgot about the EnderIO version.

Already fixed in v4.

I apologize if this is bad form, but do you have a planned release time for v4? The latest download on your site is still v3d.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I apologize if this is bad form, but do you have a planned release time for v4? The latest download on your site is still v3d.

BrOhzcv.png

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Or, you know, be civil and say "probably in the next 1-14 days" like I typically do when someone asks me a development update :p

Just me, but I don't subscribe to the "never ask" pattern. Yes, I do get hordes of people asking me about dev etas. No, I don't really care, I'm a nice person.

Reactions: kleshas

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
Or, you know, be civil and say "probably in the next 1-14 days" like I typically do when someone asks me a development update :p

Just me, but I don't subscribe to the "never ask" pattern. Yes, I do get hordes of people asking me about dev etas. No, I don't really care, I'm a nice person.

It's not really a matter of being nice or civil. Stating it that way seems to say you expect all mod creators to behave in the way you do or they are not'nice or uncivil. Not all people handle getting the same impatient "ARE WE THERE YET????!" type of question, over an over. I totally understand the frustration of many delvelopers when every 3rd poster is asking for a status update. Especially when the same people don't bother to scroll up or read a couple of pages back to see if they can find the info themselves.

The question was: do you have an eta? the answer was 'no'. I don't see how this is being uncivil in any way. Hell, I'm surprised he even saw the question in the first place to answer it.

On another subject, i highly agree with Pyrule's comments on why mods are included/not included. The people putting the modpack together don't just toss it all into a cauldron and stir. Even in a kitchen sink pack, you only can have so many tech mods that essentially do the same thing.

Reactions: Azzanine