Forge and Nova

Apparently I own this thread now...Is NOVA a good thing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
//JOB

What else?

(please, no, not my Jr. High days, and half of my undergrad work, please don't come back to me ... too late)

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
isn't buildcraft opensource? So you can just fork and port. though whether the official BC mod will be ported will depend on Covert

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Right now its license requires the user to "own a legally acquired copy of Minecraft". So it needs to be relicensed first.
But I'm not sure if that's everything.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
First bukkit and now nova? can't you guys get along. we dont need another drama bomb on politics. just remember that whatever you guys do, you effect the players in the end. its bad enough that forge and opifine can never be used together.

If you bothered to read up, you'd realize that NOVA was created exactly to let the same mods run on multiple loaders. Also, Minecraft 1.7 includes most rendering features that made OptiFine good, and 1.8 extends that to chunk loading features.

Also, if you bothered to read up, you'd realize that not only did Bukkit come MONTHS before Forge or even ModLoader (as its story starts with hMod), it also serves A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PURPOSE from Forge.

About me porting BuildCraft... for now, that is a closed story. However, there are words of MineTweaker 4 being NOVA-based.

luacs1998

Jul 29, 2019
Basically, I'm going to have to be the cynic here and slap the "dark horse" label on NOVA. Their "About" page doesn't really give me a lot of confidence in their plans.

What are you guys trying to achieve by building yet another abstraction layer? Why not work with the Sponge guys? Sponge already has plans for client-side modding as well.

My argument against yet another abstraction layer is that there will be the inevitable people who code very deeply into the innards of Minecraft, thus defeating the point of an abstraction layer because "what for, when your mod only works on one implementation?" Also, there will still be people who will try to run Minecraft mods on Terasology, for example, and NOVA will make it only easier. Are you prepared to deal with the disjointedness, the "it's not supposed to be there" feeling and the differences in architectures and design principles between voxel games? Are you prepared to redesign your mod 5 times because it's perfectly balanced in Minetest but hopelessly OP in Minecraft and in need of severe buffing in Minia (or whatever Eloraam calls what she's working on)?

I fear that switching to primarily using an abstraction layer will be detrimental towards Minecraft modding. Look at Bukkit, for example. All the people reflecting into net.minecraft.server because they want to do Minecraft-specific things which the Bukkit API didn't allow. And when bukkit broke that... The shitstorm, I don't even want to remember. Or more recently, when Emperor LexManos in a fit of rage threatened to ban coremods... How did everyone react?

Having a low-level hook layer like what Forge already is would be better. NOVA would serve a considerably different purpose from Forge, the way I look at it. Forge needs to be replaced (or improved, but is that ever going to happen under current management?), not abstracted away with yet another abstraction layer.

Just my 2 cents.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I'm also doubting a bit as to how well mods would fit into other games and how portable they would be.

Take my glass shards mod as an example: It kinda relies on there being a glass block. And I need to know which block that is and it needs to not drop anything. I don't know if it's feasible to port it to Nova.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
Basically, I'm going to have to be the cynic here and slap the "dark horse" label on NOVA. Their "About" page doesn't really give me a lot of confidence in their plans.

What are you guys trying to achieve by building yet another abstraction layer? Why not work with the Sponge guys? Sponge already has plans for client-side modding as well.

My argument against yet another abstraction layer is that there will be the inevitable people who code very deeply into the innards of Minecraft, thus defeating the point of an abstraction layer because "what for, when your mod only works on one implementation?" Also, there will still be people who will try to run Minecraft mods on Terasology, for example, and NOVA will make it only easier. Are you prepared to deal with the disjointedness, the "it's not supposed to be there" feeling and the differences in architectures and design principles between voxel games? Are you prepared to redesign your mod 5 times because it's perfectly balanced in Minetest but hopelessly OP in Minecraft and in need of severe buffing in Minia (or whatever Eloraam calls what she's working on)?

I fear that switching to primarily using an abstraction layer will be detrimental towards Minecraft modding. Look at Bukkit, for example. All the people reflecting into net.minecraft.server because they want to do Minecraft-specific things which the Bukkit API didn't allow. And when bukkit broke that... The shitstorm, I don't even want to remember. Or more recently, when Emperor LexManos in a fit of rage threatened to ban coremods... How did everyone react?

Having a low-level hook layer like what Forge already is would be better. NOVA would serve a considerably different purpose from Forge, the way I look at it. Forge needs to be replaced (or improved, but is that ever going to happen under current management?), not abstracted away with yet another abstraction layer.

Just my 2 cents.
1. Config files, config files, config files for balance.
2. If it hooks inside Minecraft engine code too much, the mod is not meant for NOVA.
3. I do not like the way Sponge's API is designed on the inside. I did look into it before starting NOVA.
4. We are discouraging any direct Minecraft hooking - I was actually considering blocking it altogether.

What are we trying to achieve? I was (note: was) trying to make an escape hatch for when and if bad things happen to Forge or Minecraft.

Note, too, that a huge chunk of Minetest mods is ripoffs of Minecraft stuff already.

Reactions: Strikingwolf

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
1. Config files, config files, config files for balance.
2. If it hooks inside Minecraft engine code too much, the mod is not meant for NOVA.
3. I do not like the way Sponge's API is designed on the inside. I did look into it before starting NOVA.
4. We are discouraging any direct Minecraft hooking - I was actually considering blocking it altogether.

What are we trying to achieve? I was (note: was) trying to make an escape hatch for when and if bad things happen to Forge or Minecraft.

Note, too, that a huge chunk of Minetest mods is ripoffs of Minecraft stuff already.
IMO there needs to be a way to directly hook into code, but it should be discouraged if it isn't the only option. Also, y'all should make a way to check what game the mod is running on if yall haven't already ;)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com

Just my 2 cents.
An adjunct to this: I fear that some mods being cross-game-compatible will only increase the number of people complaining about things like "Why no werk with Terraria?", or trying to install them and obviously failing.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
An adjunct to this: I fear that some mods being cross-game-compatible will only increase the number of people complaining about things like "Why no werk with Terraria?", or trying to install them and obviously failing.

There has never bin any shortage of such people. And while it might be tempting to call them stupid It would be more appropriate to call them ignorant. Stupid people you can do nothing about but the ignorant must simply be taught. And to teach others while a trial is a blessing not a curse. And should be embraced.

Reactions: Strikingwolf

Arkandos

Jul 29, 2019
Would it not be pretty easy to just specify which games your mod can work on?
That would mean developers could easily choose if they only want to support Minecraft/some other game or not.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
There has never bin any shortage of such people. And while it might be tempting to call them stupid It would be more appropriate to call them ignorant. Stupid people you can do nothing about but the ignorant must simply be taught. And to teach others while a trial is a blessing not a curse. And should be embraced.
The problem is that right now, no mod works across games, so the fact that even now there are people making that mistake means there will be floods of them when some mods do.

Reactions: 1SDAN and Padfoote