What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Transparent? I knew it glowed; I did not know mobs could see through it.
I think he meant it acts more like glass or dim glowstone. In that case (athough I have no confirmation of this), it would be possible to rig a trap where a player walks over a redstone ore, which then stops blocking a redstone signal passing underneath it, triggering some TNT or something.

There aren't many blocks that mobs can see through at all- with the exception of spiders and mobs that are already aggroed at you, almost any block (probably including glass and torches) will block mobs' line of sight. Spiders can see you through anything, and aggressive mobs that have already spotted you will chase you despite almost anything in the way.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
^That.
But the important part is that it switches states from opaque to transparent when touched. When it glows, it lets light through.

Gamefury64

Jul 29, 2019
That big reactor turbines dont have a limit to RPM
Thank god...

Attachments

• 2015-02-03_17.00.33.png
    2015-02-03_17.00.33.png
    143.7 KB · Views: 93

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
I found out that it's possible to have your nether portal spawn underneath a giant lava lake. After spending about half an hour trying to find a way up, nearly burning to death because I can't tell where the lava ends, I eventually just went creative and built a new portal above the lava...which unfortunately came out several hundred blocks away from my base. Thankfully it's just a temporary base, so hopefully my permanent base spawns me a better nether portal.

Reactions: Gamefury64

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I found out that it's possible to have your nether portal spawn underneath a giant lava lake. After spending about half an hour trying to find a way up, nearly burning to death because I can't tell where the lava ends, I eventually just went creative and built a new portal above the lava...which unfortunately came out several hundred blocks away from my base. Thankfully it's just a temporary base, so hopefully my permanent base spawns me a better nether portal.

So, two questions:
1. Are you talking about the lake from around Y=31 to Y=23-ish?
Can't you just dig sideways until you find the end?
2. Does lava "drip" down through single layers of netherrack? (Never looked, believe it or not :).
3. Did you try the "automatic portal control" behavior of a water bucket inside a dispenser, in the nether, pointed at the portal, triggered by a redstone delay to go off a few seconds after you left? The water bucket should still put out the portal. (Back in 147, you could "place" water in the nether at your feet; if you were on fire, the fire was put out before the water went poof. I never saw anything in the changelogs to indicate that this no longer worked)

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, it was the lake at the bottom of the nether. My portal formed in a cave system around y 18.

It does drip, but pretty slowly, and it doesn't drip sideways, which was how I kept encountering lava. I kept digging sideways, but there was no way to tell when I'd actually hit something solid...a number of times I just happened to find 2 think netherrack above me. It's pretty darn hard to dig just one netherrack if you have a decent pick, so...I took a couple lava showers.

As for your last question, no I didn't, as it really wouldn't have solved anything. My options were basically try a new portal elsewhere in the overworld, or do what I did. It wasn't really a big deal, I was just startled it could happen, because in vanilla it would have been a major pain in the ass to deal with.

I was also surprised that my portal back (when I built the new portal in the nether) was on top of a tree.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
That so many tools that I never really considered as proper tools can actually be enchanted(with books in anvil). Like Carpenter's Blocks "Carpenter's Hammer", Random Things "Block Replacer", Project Red "Screwdriver", FMB Saws etc.

Generally they are often so cheap to make that they are probably not worth enchanting, but just the practicality of not having to replace them nearly as often(with unbreaking) can be quite handy. Specially the Carpenter's Hammer. Even though I set all durability hit configs to 0, I am still going through them quite fast :p Unbreaking 3 on it helps a lot.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
That so many tools that I never really considered as proper tools can actually be enchanted(with books in anvil). Like Carpenter's Blocks "Carpenter's Hammer", Random Things "Block Replacer", Project Red "Screwdriver", FMB Saws etc.

Generally they are often so cheap to make that they are probably not worth enchanting, but just the practicality of not having to replace them nearly as often(with unbreaking) can be quite handy. Specially the Carpenter's Hammer. Even though I set all durability hit configs to 0, I am still going through them quite fast :p Unbreaking 3 on it helps a lot.
I actually like this tip, I tend to go through too many project red screwdrivers due to being total crap with logic gates :)

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I actually like this tip, I tend to go through too many project red screwdrivers due to being total crap with logic gates :)
I try as hard I can to avoid using the screwdrivers to simply save inventory space ;) This involves digging holes etc. to get into position to place the different circuits properly. But it would be so much easier to just use the screwdriver to rotate them :p

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I miss the old days of the omni tool, though seeing as there's more and more wrenches with unqiue abillties it's probably not possible to have 1 wrench to rule them all.
though perhaps it could be possible to have an item where you can place your wrenches and such into and rotate through the tools to use the one you want.
would be great if this item could run on RF and thus prevents damage to the tools, as I really hate having to make new tools

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I miss the old days of the omni tool, though seeing as there's more and more wrenches with unqiue abillties it's probably not possible to have 1 wrench to rule them all.
though perhaps it could be possible to have an item where you can place your wrenches and such into and rotate through the tools to use the one you want.
would be great if this item could run on RF and thus prevents damage to the tools, as I really hate having to make new tools
Yeah an updated version of the GraviTool would be awesome(with RF version for those so inclined ofc).

Really sad that the GraviTool screwdriver mode doesn't work on Project Red stuff :/

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
I had that once in a vanilla world, I assume you built a portal at a low Y-level in the overworld?
Well, it was at y 30, so I suppose. I just decided to stick it in my mine so it would be out of earshot, and I wouldn't have mobs wandering in.