Curse Client, FTB Packs and Linux

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I have had very pleasant interactions with the curse people (Kaelten has been very approachable) as have the other staff whom we interact with on a daily. I know the work that gets put in is largely community oriented, and this is extremely important, something that hasn't been a major goal in forge for the past bit. Stay awesome Myrathi, Jadedcat, Eyamaz, and Zeldo. You'll have me interested in the new launcher once it has Linux support ;)
From the point of view of a player, dev, and texture artist who holds the community in more importance than any personal gain, I see absolutely no reason why curseforge should not be used. Community > pretty much all else...

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
I have had very pleasant interactions with the curse people (Kaelten has been very approachable) as have the other staff whom we interact with on a daily. I know the work that gets put in is largely community oriented, and this is extremely important, something that hasn't been a major goal in forge for the past bit. Stay awesome Myrathi, Jadedcat, Eyamaz, and Zeldo. You'll have me interested in the new launcher once it has Linux support ;)
From the point of view of a player, dev, and texture artist who holds the community in more importance than any personal gain, I see absolutely no reason why curseforge should not be used. Community > pretty much all else...
To be honest, for me it would be more: Quality of product > Community > General other things.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
A preview of the upcoming Curse launcher!
zA6e5Jb.png
This I want. Like ... soooooo badly.[/spoiler]

That friends panel... so do not want.

I wonder if we'll be able to hide stuff like that and/or just not login to (what I assume is) the curse friends stuff.
I also wonder if that's going to stay connected in the background of minecraft and do steam-esque community things...

I'll try not to get carried away with overreactions...

Reactions: RedBoss

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019

I wonder if we'll be able to hide stuff like that and/or just not login to (what I assume is) the curse friends stuff.
I also wonder if that's going to stay connected in the background of minecraft and do steam-esque community things...

On the contrary I am actually wishing for steam like friends stuff. I love being able to see what my friends are doing and then going to join them if I feel like it.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019

If it's anything like Curse Voice, which looks extremely similar in design, you won't be able to hide the friends list, but you can go "invisible", or "busy" like you can do with Steam/Skype.

Reactions: Padfoote

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019

Ditto on not wanting the friends list.
And they had better not require you to be always on line. I need every little bit of my internet connection I have.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Depending on what's used to make it, porting the Curse launcher to Linux shouldn't be too much of a hassle. Java does so natively, .Net has MONO, the only real problem would be if they used C++ alongside platform-specific code, which from my experience, typically comes in the form of threading libraries. Then again, if they use Qt (which uses C++), then targeting Linux shouldn't take too much work then, either.

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
Depending on what's used to make it, porting the Curse launcher to Linux shouldn't be too much of a hassle. Java does so natively, .Net has MONO, the only real problem would be if they used C++ alongside platform-specific code, which from my experience, typically comes in the form of threading libraries. Then again, if they use Qt (which uses C++), then targeting Linux shouldn't take too much work then, either.

They already stated on this thread: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/ftb-curse-update.42638/ that they are not using a cross platform like qt(I can't really point because it is too big).

Well they already said that they are not planning to do a Linux Curse launcher and that there "will be another alternative" and a "limited api". What does that mean? No one knows and no one bother to explain clearly.

As far as I know, and with how vague everyone has been, they can have some links to zips with the configs and people will have to download the mods themselves or a link to zips with the modpack themselves, or only a list with the mods and a jpeg with screenshots of the configs all bundled in a big image(no one thinks it will be done this way, but the info gave supports this as well as any other possibility, since they only say Linux users will be able to play the modpacks).

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
Well obviously I am biased since I now work for Curse. But of all the launchers/clients I have used to make and host packs, the new client is shaping up to be the easiest. And if my pack gets downloaded, the authors in the pack get downloads on their page. And I like the mod authors getting credit. I love mod authors.

Will this happen also on the "Linux solution"(whatever that is)?

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
Ohhhhh thank fuck. Sorry about the sod of a situation for you Linux users, then.

Suckers!

I'm not, I will use ATLauncher, and my brother, and my friends, and anyone that I introduce to modded Minecraft.

I always had some problems with the ftb launcher:
  • You can't use multiple instances of the same modpack(useful for serverplay).
  • You can't download without starting the game which is a bummer when you are downloading a pack to play later(for example when you know you won't have Internet available).
Now if they decide to offer a different experience on Linux I can simply stop to refer to them when I play(I will also have to stop to follow the youtubers that play FTB packs or go to servers with FTB packs, but then I tend to host my own servers so that won't really be a problem).

Status
Not open for further replies.