Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I think EC is using an algorithm where each wire transfers power from the one next to it, so each one is using independent logic updates per tick which would be very heavy in CPU load.
No, that is how the pipes work, but the wires have network logic.

Yours was a stack of like 10 of the things if I recall correctly. Way overboard for anyone not preparing to build something akin to a ReC fusion reactor (but fun nonetheless of course)
36 at the time of taking the image, 48 later on.

Regarding bore setups... I had considered making a rig that had many bores all running off a small HTG reactor, and try to make it self-fueling. My concern was if I used Electricraft to distribute the power to the bores, was the major lag problem with long EC cables still a concern?
On v25z, no, not unless the input power changes.

Reactions: Demosthenex

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I wish you could eventually run a large powerplant from the reactor and then have electricraft wiring everywhere (long runs, many outputs) to replace your on-demand engine power to always on electrical power. Most of the RF mods do that now (ie: BigReactors) where it's always on, and a large network of RF conduits doesn't seem to have a major impact on performance.

I think EC is using an algorithm where each wire transfers power from the one next to it, so each one is using independent logic updates per tick which would be very heavy in CPU load. Again, I just think that's how it works from what I observed in game. If that is the case, would it be more practical to move to a supplier/consumer model where tree discovery is done once by the consumer, and it communicates directly with the provider to draw energy. The tree algorithm could account for resistors and wiring loss calculations, and only perform them at a scheduled interval or on wiring change event?
I believe EC actually maps a network rather than operate block-to-block dynamically. I'd certainly map a network anyway, the only hindrance would be worrying about magical new ways of disrupting the network that I didn't predict and weren't accounted for by the classes I inherit.

RF does seem to cause less lag in my worlds, but it has the benefit of being single-dimensional power.

GT is 2-dimensional, but its not instantaneous: it transfers energy in packets (which can appear instant to the user) whereas EC is basically instant power on demand.

DaytonV

Jul 29, 2019
Demo's concern is that his setup will be considerably larger than Reika's, and thus may overrun the "recommended" electricraft wire length.

Righto, thanks for the clarification Pyure, Demos.

Looks like Reika cleared that up-if it's still having lag/tps issues, I'd have to wonder how you're moving fuel around...

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I'm aware. My point is directed to those players who prefer multiple-block factory setups to single-block solutions or would like to do things in multiple ways other than a rigidly predefined "correct" way.
The extractor is essentially a multi-block that can be assembled in many different ways.

The core of the multi-block is a single block.
But it is surrounded by different types of power generators, gear boxes, etc., and everyone can hook it all up differently.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The extractor is essentially a multi-block that can be assembled in many different ways.

The core of the multi-block is a single block.
But it is surrounded by different types of power generators, gear boxes, etc., and everyone can hook it all up differently.
Technically you're not "hooking it up" differently, so much as powering it differently. Its like a powerbar for my computer versus a UPS or plugging it into a wall directly.

CapJackH

Jul 29, 2019
As a way of creating distance-networks instead of localized-networks, could a cable be implemented that uses a different kind of algorithm that might be more efficient at the type of calculation needed for max number of wires connected instead of number of nodes or packets leaving the network? That way Electricraft could fulfill a more broad range of network types and applications while still having the capabilities and progression it currently has to encourage small networks. Maybe this "long-distance" cable could punish users trying to use it as a smaller network cable by having the energy loss go up as the number of interfaces to that cable increase. It would definitely reduce the requirement to use other mods' power transfer in conjunction with RC.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
As a way of creating distance-networks instead of localized-networks, could a cable be implemented that uses a different kind of algorithm that might be more efficient at the type of calculation needed for max number of wires connected instead of number of nodes or packets leaving the network? That way Electricraft could fulfill a more broad range of network types and applications while still having the capabilities and progression it currently has to encourage small networks. Maybe this "long-distance" cable could punish users trying to use it as a smaller network cable by having the energy loss go up as the number of interfaces to that cable increase. It would definitely reduce the requirement to use other mods' power transfer in conjunction with RC.

I apologize for my confusion. I'm not saying that EC cables are laggy, just that I vaguely remembered a specific issue. If you have a variable power output, put a battery in front of it.

Given that, I'm looking forward to trying a reactor to run everything. On the other hand, my players are asking to update to 1.7.10, so just when I hit the level where I was going to start reactors I may be restarting the server. :p

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
ElC has no mechanism to encourage small networks - nor is it my intention - nor does it use packets.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
I've been thinking about the extractor some more and theoretically I think I can get around my speed worries with the toggle solution by just adding another extractor under the same setup. If I can time it perfectly then the extractor would switch between the two power states just as it finishes processing two stacks of items, which means no extra time wasted waiting for space in the buffers, so the extractors should run at almost exactly half the max speed under a well setup 16MW toggle system. To counter the half speed run I can just add one other extractor doing the exact same thing. Although seperate ores clogging the system are still a concern.

Unless you count 30s/step as such a crawl.
at 1rad/s my borer was running at 9.15s, which isn't that bad. Though that might have to do with the efficiency V enchant, I never really considered running it without that buff, so I almost forgot about it :).

Have you forgotten about my 2GW mining setup?
Were you using electricraft to transfer the power for that setup?

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
Suggestion: HSLA, Bedrock Anvils.
HSLA lasts about twice as long as a regular anvil.
Bedrock never breaks, and possibly gives some sort of bonus when using it, such as increased repair amount or lower level cost.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Suggestion: HSLA, Bedrock Anvils.
HSLA lasts about twice as long as a regular anvil.
Bedrock never breaks, and possibly gives some sort of bonus when using it, such as increased repair amount or lower level cost.
Already suggested and though somewhat desirable, not worth the effort; I would have to recode everything from scratch, because the anvil functionality is coded in the GUI classes and is tied to the vanilla block.

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
This is a very small request but It's something that's urked me for awhile. Could you rename the Bedrock Scythe and the HSLA Steel Scythe to Bedrock Sickle and HSLA Steel Sickle. The standard is sickles not scythes. If you want it to still be scythes could you please atleast add a config option for people like me who it bothers? It's not a huge request.

Also something I wanted to mention, you never fixed the visual bug when blocking with the Bedrock Sword and HSLA Steel Sword you don't turn the sword your arm just goes up.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Could you rename the Bedrock Scythe and the HSLA Steel Scythe to Bedrock Sickle and HSLA Steel Sickle. The standard is sickles not scythes.
No.

You never fixed the visual bug when blocking with the Bedrock Sword and HSLA Steel Sword you don't turn the sword your arm just goes up.
Never having been told about it helps.

Reactions: Azzanine

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Do fans break sugar cane blocks at crop harvesting speed? If not, they should.

Edit: they should also break or harvest leaves and grass.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if this would be something you'd be interested in doing or not, but I'd love to have some sort of modified ECU or something to replace putting together a 2-clock for magnetizing/AC engines. It's not hard to set up a 2-clock, I just really dislike having redstone on the floor, and every time I've tried using something else (red alloy wire or insulated redstone conduit), it seems to get messed up. Maybe have it require something magnetized, thus requiring a knowledge of how to get things magnetized in the first place.