[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

gallowglass

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I'm doing big reactors this time around. I've never really gotten into them before so I'm having a riot. My current reactor is giving me around 20k RF/T (5000 eu/t with current conversion rates but we're looking to adjust that a bit in the near future). That same reactor is probably capable of doing 80k rf/t once its fully loaded out with the best electric coils and 2 more turbines.

IIRC you are using some Galacticraft thingy for RF->EU conversion? Could you point me to some more details?

starwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Might go with the Big Reactors then, I've never used them either and I've a ton of graphite/yellorium laying around. Might just do a larger eu buffer for burst HV manufacturing to get me there until I set up. I've never really enjoyed the IC2 reactors, they've always been rather weak considering the resource requirements and were never long lasting. I had a breeder/hybrid in 1.4.7 that was sustainable at 400 eu/t, but was easily surpassed by the 30 ish RC boilers, or 30ish thermal generators, or finally both versions of the GT Fusion reactor I had.

Main power in 1.5 was bee-powered alvearies and fuel, though I did get around to making a GT reactor as well.

Most fun I had was a legit-survival built RC fusion reactor in 1.6.4. Never used more than ten percent of it's output. Problem with both the RC fusion reactor and the GT one was they were just so freaking laggy... the GT reactor had something like 100 centrifuges to feed it, then GT had an update with another step in the process that I had to add another 25... just became too laggy to be worthwhile. Then I moved to the RC one... well like 3000 entities, not including fusion events in the torus. Like 3.5m RF/t it was producing. Had to build it in a void age just to keep the tps from effecting anything else. That and the 40k of lodestone or whatever I had to collect was a pain.

And you couldn't shut it off that I could tell. the pipes would melt if you ever turned off the van der graaf genny's (oh how many times that damn reactor killed me building it :p)

Big reactors though looks fairly lag-free and powerful. I suppose I could bee it up. I'm playing on a server, and since 1.4.7 I've been murdering the tps on the server's I've played on. Trying to play nice with this modpack.

Note on that: Ender IO pipes are just about the laggiest thing I've ever used. Had a Jabba barrel in my treefarm I had to remove because it was dropping my FPS down to 1. Remove barrel, fps pops right back to 60. Something to do with when there was a full barrel and a full chest. Solved it with a redstone facade shutting off the smelters at 70% full. Same with my Processing setup... if I have more that 20 stacks of stuff in a chest, it's as if it's making a call to the server to insert every stack in every port. Annoying.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
IIRC you are using some Galacticraft thingy for RF->EU conversion? Could you point me to some more details?
Yes, at the moment I'm using Energy Storage Clusters. They can convert RF into approximately 225 eu/t, so you'll need a lot of them for heavy duty work.

Alternately you can try the Pneumaticraft Flux Compressor->Pneumatic Generator combo. A single pneumatic generator can output 2048 eu/t given enough compressed air (and in testing that required 3 flux compressors with around 9 speed upgrades each to achieve). I'm building some of these now but they're way more involved in crafting and setup.

The GC version currently provides a better conversion rate. In an upcoming version that may not be the case.

Might go with the Big Reactors then, I've never used them either and I've a ton of graphite/yellorium laying around. Might just do a larger eu buffer for burst HV manufacturing to get me there until I set up. I've never really enjoyed the IC2 reactors, they've always been rather weak considering the resource requirements and were never long lasting. I had a breeder/hybrid in 1.4.7 that was sustainable at 400 eu/t, but was easily surpassed by the 30 ish RC boilers, or 30ish thermal generators, or finally both versions of the GT Fusion reactor I had.
One thing to be aware of is that its one of the very few energy sources in Infitech2 that is completely non-renewable. Just about anything else you can think of (including diesel) can be acquired via non-gathering means.

To offset this, I typically only use my nuclear for times when my industry is running really hot. I lean on my titanium boiler and old RC boilers most of the time.

Also, if you pursue big reactors:
1) you can't get power out of a passive big reactor. This is completely disabled. You can only go the turbine route, and turbines require cyanite. So be sure to SAG mill your yellorite ore with grinding balls to maximize your chance at cyanite, otherwise you'll have to burn fuel in the reactor until you have enough cyanite.
2) you can use a "passive" reactor with other steam consumers, such as the RC turbine or GT turbines, but those output water at a different rate and you won't be able to make a closed loop. It might take dozens of EIO reservoirs to keep it fed.

PS: Props for doing a ReC fusion reactor, that's a huge accomplishment. And great tip about the eio pipes, I'll keep an eye out for that. We use a lot in our base.

starwolf

Jul 29, 2019
from what I can tell it just takes "steam" to run a turbine... can't I just pump steam in from my current boilers? 200 mb/t isn't that much steam at all.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
from what I can tell it just takes "steam" to run a turbine... can't I just pump steam in from my current boilers? 200 mb/t isn't that much steam at all.
ITs 320 mb/t iirc btw, to produce 200 eu/t, but certainly.

If you're referring to my big reactors/turbine comment, the idea is that since you can't produce power with a passive big reactors reactor, you could theoretically opt to make it a hybrid-active reactor by directing the steam into RC turbines until you have enough cyanite to do a proper big-reactors turbine.

Reactions: Tyriael_Soban

starwolf

Jul 29, 2019
No I mean just use RC boilers to run the big reactor turbine. Just need to breed up some bees for cyanite to try it.

Just skip the reactor altogether for now.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm progressing steadily with typing up the config for MineChem dust decomp, adding ingots should be easy once I'm done as it's basically the exact same thing.

One question though, red alloy ingots have two differing recipes of one iron and eight redstone or one copper and four redstone, what should it decompose to or be made of?

I've also decided to make things simpler a bit and go with slightly overcharging on synthesis sometimes to allow you to make things without large bulk amounts, so far that's adding the ability to make steel in lots of 3 instead of 25 for a tiny 4% carbon increase. I also have to do it for some things like red alloy as the numbers line up so horribly that they use more then nine stacks of chemicals to produce.

You also can't synthesise Pig Iron, Wrought Iron, or Damascus Steel as they're the same formula, I could make it just in a different shape of anyone cares but if gourds to should be fine.

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm progressing steadily with typing up the config for MineChem dust decomp, adding ingots should be easy once I'm done as it's basically the exact same thing.

One question though, red alloy ingots have two differing recipes of one iron and eight redstone or one copper and four redstone, what should it decompose to or be made of?

I've also decided to make things simpler a bit and go with slightly overcharging on synthesis sometimes to allow you to make things without large bulk amounts, so far that's adding the ability to make steel in lots of 3 instead of 25 for a tiny 4% carbon increase. I also have to do it for some things like red alloy as the numbers line up so horribly that they use more then nine stacks of chemicals to produce.

You also can't synthesise Pig Iron, Wrought Iron, or Damascus Steel as they're the same formula, I could make it just in a different shape of anyone cares but if gourds to should be fine.
RedAlloy = Iron + 8 redstone will get disabled, so you are left with Copper + 4 redstone
For PigIron WroughtIron and other similiar = Synth recipe I would do for all of them (with diferent shape), but decomp of course to the same.

edit: Be carefull with ingots. Try to exlude those ingots that requires something else than just smelting. For example synthesis of Steel should really not be possible. Even feel free to exclude all ingots to be not syntheszable

Last edited:

Azkeel

Jul 29, 2019
I updated my game to latest pack version several days ago and everything works fine except for one thing. Today I went exploring and I noticed that some of the newly generated chunks are kinda messy.

2015-02-03_10.25.29.jpg

2015-02-03_10.19.01.jpg

I travelled ~1500 blocks and I found 2 or 3 chunk errors similar to this one. One was border of the green hills and mystical grove, other extreme hills and magical forest biomes. I didn't change anything in the worldgen or TC settings and I had no such problems in the previous versions of the modpack (my world was generated in 2.07 IIRC).

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
No I mean just use RC boilers to run the big reactor turbine. Just need to breed up some bees for cyanite to try it.

Just skip the reactor altogether for now.

Yes, I did that my last world. I pumped in steam from my boilers into my RC Steam Turbine. Worked beautifully. Steam from Railcraft, GT, and BigReactors is all compatible. The only steam that is *not* is the new IC2 nuclear reactor pressure vessel steam.

Reactions: Pyure

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I updated my game to latest pack version several days ago and everything works fine except for one thing. Today I went exploring and I noticed that some of the newly generated chunks are kinda messy.

View attachment 14550

View attachment 14551

I travelled ~1500 blocks and I found 2 or 3 chunk errors similar to this one. One was border of the green hills and mystical grove, other extreme hills and magical forest biomes. I didn't change anything in the worldgen or TC settings and I had no such problems in the previous versions of the modpack (my world was generated in 2.07 IIRC).

I've had that happen. I chalk that up to EXBL derping. No bad side effects other than looking bad.

feralferret

Jul 29, 2019
So total newbie question.. how do you guys power your steam machines in the bronze age? Just multiple basic steam boilers?

I'm finding that one boiler is totally insufficient to run an alloy smelter. Also transporting the (finite) water is a bit of a pain. I'm still trying to figure out the progression in this pack.

Eyecollector

Jul 29, 2019
So total newbie question.. how do you guys power your steam machines in the bronze age? Just multiple basic steam boilers?

I'm finding that one boiler is totally insufficient to run an alloy smelter. Also transporting the (finite) water is a bit of a pain. I'm still trying to figure out the progression in this pack.

You can make water in the water tank, from Railcraft, first. Later, you can progress to the EIO Reservoir.

No matter how many or what type of boilers you have, I always had them pumping into a big RC Iron Tank, that way I know for sure that I have enough steam for the machines, and also useful as buffer.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

If I'm playing single player, several solar boilers. Otherwise several coal boilers.

The Alloy Smelter is a major steam hog; not only does it want a large share of any steam you're creating, but its demand can also overwhelm early steam piping infrastructure. So even if you're producing enough steam, its not necessarily reaching the smelter. Be prepared to either dedicate some boilers to a smelter on a seperate "network" or shut down things like your macerators while smelting.

Hlaaftana

Jul 29, 2019
Oh man, have I got the best power source! I set up 500 GC advanced solar panels on the asteroids, set up a drone to transfer capacitor banks by going through a stargate! Pretty advanced though, the main tough parts are getting to the asteroids, making 500 advanced solar panels and the stargate. I was able to do the latter two as I rely on PZ pyramid chest loot. I explored like a hundred pyramids though. Setting up rockets for the asteroids was quite easy, easier than I thought. I have a GC addon as well, which adds the rest of the planet's in the solar system, called 4Space. The only exploit with the mod could have been iridium, but thank God the ore dict entry is wrong. It also adds ununpentium ore which is amazingly unrealistic.

Azkeel

Jul 29, 2019

I usually start with mix of simple solar and small coal boilers (4+2 in my last world) connected to some kind of steam buffer (ender IO or buildcraft tanks, I replace them later with railcraft iron tank). I use railcraft water tank for water source, it can keep up with several smaller boilers and give me some excess water to use for TC stuff, purifying dusts etc. Basic ender IO conduits are fine for water transfer.

I keep those simple solar boilers running later in the electric age. I connect 2 basic steam turbines into steam buffer (large RC iron/stell tank) and use it to power some of my LV machines and basic ore processing (LV macerator+hammer+electric furnace). The whole setup is pretty messy (basic steam turbines facing CESU->IC2 copper cable->another CESU with GT LV transformer next to it-> GT tin cables with LV machines connected to them), but it's free energy and can be created pretty early in the game saving a lot of materials :)