Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Vazkii

Jul 29, 2019
Well obviously I am biased since I now work for Curse. But of all the launchers/clients I have used to make and host packs, the new client is shaping up to be the easiest. And if my pack gets downloaded, the authors in the pack get downloads on their page. And I like the mod authors getting credit. I love mod authors.
Not me, you always screw my name up </3

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
Well yeah... thats the main thing I have wanted for 18 months. It makes me sad when my pack has tons of downloads but the mods in it barely have any cause I pack creators took all the downloads </3
One question, are the forums going to be anything like the terraria ones? Because those were amazing. :D

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest it feels more like a corporate monopoly rather than a community oriented project. Compared to our current installers it just sounds like something thats driven commercially rather than out of passion for the game.

But hey- if it works, and its easy/intuitive to use [without being crammed with obnoxious adverts and spam], I'll go with it.

@Kaelten and @slowpoke have repeatedly stated there will be no ads on the client.

I have never met a group of people as passionate about games as Curse. They loved games, they started as a WoW raiding guild. They branched out. They made a buisness out of loving games. It is amazing getting up each morning and knowing I am getting paid to do something I love. Play games and interact with game communities. *squeeeeeee*

I have never before worked for a company that sent out emails going "Warlords of Draenor is coming out tomorrow, we realize many of you are going to have the "flu" please make it a 24hr bug? We''ll have extra coffee in the office the day after release day."

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
Because 1 company gets so much power. Just look at Forge.

Just as we can help build them up by taking advantage of their wonderful centralization, which is a great thing for modmakers in this day of modpacks, we can do the same elsewhere if they decide to go all 'Empire' on us. Unlike Forge, Curse isn't 'required' to make or host mods or modpacks.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
When I first posted my mod to CurseForge and it didn't have a default icon as required, it said that Zeldo Kavira rejected it. I thought "wait a second, is that this Zeldo?" :D
And also when @Jadedcat was answering one of my support questions :D

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
When I first posted my mod to CurseForge and it didn't have a default icon as required, it said that Zeldo Kavira rejected it. I thought "wait a second, is that this Zeldo?" :D
And also when @Jadedcat was answering one of my support questions :D

Yes. Its why I giggle when people say the CurseForge team doesn't understand Minecraft.... /me cackles

Reactions: ljfa

dries007

Jul 29, 2019
READ ME: All things below are my opinion and should not be read out of context!

Because 1 company gets so much power. Just look at Forge.

The problem with forge is that Forge is a one man show, so personal issues with the 'one man team' turn into you being blocked out. That should be less of an issue with a company like Curse, but see my later point.
Also, even though Forge is open source, Lex still dislikes any and all modifications to Forge that are not immediately PRed (and in 99.9% of cases immediately rejected) into the main repository.
That is only open source in the most basic interpretation of the concept. Real open source projects should encourage any and all forks and branches. They are great to try new ideas and mess around while not messing up the existing, 'stable', project.
EDIT: But, when you fork something and make people use that, it is YOUR responsibility to let your users know that you are the support/issues/bugs collection point. NOT the original source, that is what most people in modding seem to forget.

But Forge doesn't have me and Zeldo and Eyamaz and Myrathi :(

No, but it should. Even if you guys don't code, more people with better PR reputation for Forge would do wonders.
(You know I like you because you are straight to the point and honest without being mean Jaded, that is a talent everyone should have.)

Okay I see. Having all mods available on one centralized spot makes sense indeed.

Here is the one issue with Curse as a central place for everything: What if you and curse don't agree on some of the rules?
There is gonna be a time (I have the Curse Alpha so I know how AWESOME it is.) when, if your mod isn't on curse, its not getting used. At least not in packs, which makes up most (90% ?) of mod usage anyways.
That is a bad thing.
The only thing I'd like to see added is allowing modpack makers to add their own repositories. But that does not make sense for a company like curse, because they won't make money of of it; and they won't be able to control what goes on in there; and they wouldn't be able to check permissions; and .... So that is never happening.

Curse has a monopoly on Minecraft. They 'own' the bukkit community, the Forums and now FTB, Forge, the largest Mod repository I know of and a brand new shiny launcher.
Currently I don't see much of a problem (with FTB and the launcher/mod repo at least) because the people in charge are the people who were in change previously. We know them. Also, there is transparency. FTB and Curse are companies. We know that the curse repo and launcher are run by a company, for profit.
Curse is not pretending to be powered by volunteers anymore.
That, to me, makes all the difference in the world. No more of the bullshit that happened to Bukkit, because of transparency. No hostile takeover is required when the volunteers(/employees?) decide to leave, because we already know that everything is owned and run by Curse. I hope you all can agree that that is GOOD. Weather you like Curse or not.

PS: I hope that I will never be punished for saying all of this ;), as it is not meant to target/hurt/insult/... anyone.
PPS: Its 1:40 am. I'm tired. I probably shouldn't write this right now, but I am anyways. :cool:
PPPS: If I typo'd, I'm sorry. I'm sure I'll do it again. :D