Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
The xkcd plugin?
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/xkcd-substitutions/jkgogmboalmaijfgfhfepckdgjeopfhk
substitutions.png

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Trying to enforce conventions along "This is how something should be registered in the ore dictionary" is kinda like "This is how a biome should be tagged".

What does the "Wasteland" or "Plains" biome tag even mean?
Or, "Jungle" versus "Forest" versus "Conifer".
Or, "Hills" versus "Mountains" or both at the same time.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Trying to enforce conventions along "This is how something should be registered in the ore dictionary" is kinda like "This is how a biome should be tagged".

What does the "Wasteland" or "Plains" biome tag even mean?
Or, "Jungle" versus "Forest" versus "Conifer".
Or, "Hills" versus "Mountains" or both at the same time.
So there needs to be some way to get a general consensus on how it should be, hence my original suggestion, a panel at a con for mod devs.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I have a love/hate relation with the ore dictionary. It is really the only thing that can truly be used to identify what an item is without special cases. Its entire purpose is for inter-mod compatibility so why would someone every want to give something a stupid name? If there was a standard, it would be better, no ifs ands or buts. The problem is that it is the only system in place. You get one single string, make it something useful. It would be nice to have a system to compliment it. This makes me think of the classification of species, something has a name, then it has a genus, a family, an order, etc. It would be cool if we could register stuff with similar levels. Here is a wooden axe; it is wood, it is a tool, it is an axe. It would be hard to keep clean and not have people mess up but meh.
People hate greg for using reflection and asm etc. Fine. People hate greg for getting upset when it turns out the ore dictionary is being poorly used. People hate greg when he puts overlapping functionality in his mod that is elsewhere. Guess what, there's nothing else to do :p
So there needs to be some way to get a general consensus on how it should be, hence my original suggestion, a panel at a con for mod devs.
There doesn't need to be a consensus really, items are registered in Vanilla minecraft through forge (it has set the standard!), there's blockIron, stickWood, gemDiamond etc. The pattern is obviously "thingMaterial" and there is absolutely no reason for anyone at this point for anyone to be proposing anything else in terms of standard and convention. If you have a wooden stick, you name it "stickWood", if you have an iron stick you name it "stickIron". If I want to check to see what something is, I should have no problem testing it against this convention.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
There was never a proper, official, ore dictionary specification, it's not everybody's fault that greg relies on a system without an official specification, and thus, anybody can go do things he doesn't like. Greg doesn't own the ore dictionary and he can suck it if he thinks he does and we're all bad modders for not listening to his arbitrary rules.

Well, to be honest Greg has the best oredictionry system and he was one of the first to use it to the extent it is used today.

Also Greg follows normal oredictionary specification that 90% of the good modders follow. Its: Description(ingot)Kind(gold).

Greg doesn't own the ore dictionary and he can suck it if he thinks he does and we're all bad modders for not listening to his arbitrary rules.
He is one of the first modders though and certainly the best.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Just curious, has Greg made any other mods than GregTech?
He works on IC2 as on official dev, so you could give him partial credit there. Other than that, the answer is no to the best of my knowledge.

Also, people, PLEASE don't turn this into another Greg-centric argument.

Reactions: Padfoote

retep998

NoLifeBunny
Wiki Staff
Dec 31, 2012
Worcester, Massachusetts
Actually, there are semi-official standards. The Forge wiki itself.
http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Common_Oredict_names
It uses the format prefixMaterial like ingotIron or oreGold, which is what most mods including GregTech use.
All Greg is doing is trying to get people to stick to this damn format. That's it. (Well, he also tries to prevent exploits when two mods interpret the same oredict prefix differently, but can you blame a guy for trying to stop exploits?)
The whole point of the ore dictionary is for compatibility with other mods, so the least you can do is make sure you try to use the same format that almost everything else already uses.

Just curious, has Greg made any other mods than GregTech?
He is going to be releasing the Greg API soon which is a standalone API that lets you get all the benefit of Greg's wonderful APIs and utilities, but without any of the content.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't go that far. He is only one person. Maybe he needs a lieutenant to maintain a 1.7 branch with minor things like this in it. Kind of like how Linus Torvalds is in charge of the latest main Linux kernel, but there are a few people who maintain a few versions back for a while.

People have tried to get Lex to let them maintain an official 1.7.10 branch. I think you can probably imagine how that turned out. The only person I know of that comes close to being his lieutenant is Fry, who is mostly there for rendering code since Lex doesn't know anything about it (how that's even possible after all of this time, who knows). But the orders still come from Lex, which is why everyone is using ASM to render anything complex in 1.8.

I'm kind of surprised to see that there's no mention here of Lex saying he was going to remove coremod support after today's debacle.

VictiniX888

Jul 29, 2019

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
All discussion about the Forge vs Nova drama has been moved to a new thread: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/forge-vs-nova.62289/

There is other stuff going on in MC beyond that. Lets not clutter this thread with 1 topic.

Also as a reminder, name-calling is not allowed for any reason. I don't care to delete the posts since they are a valid discussion. However if the name-calling continues I will delete all of them. Be polite.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
I find it interesting ... well *sad*, really, that so many will immediately condemn the upcoming Curse launcher before even taking a serious look at it. As if simply by having the name 'Curse' attached automatically makes it anathema. What the heck is with that?

In case you're curious on where I'm coming from, take a lookie here. >.<

Reactions: CoolSquid

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I find it interesting ... well *sad*, really, that so many will immediately condemn the upcoming Curse launcher before even taking a serious look at it. As if simply by having the name 'Curse' attached automatically makes it anathema. What the heck is with that?

In case you're curious on where I'm coming from, take a lookie here. >.<

Well obviously I am biased since I now work for Curse. But of all the launchers/clients I have used to make and host packs, the new client is shaping up to be the easiest. And if my pack gets downloaded, the authors in the pack get downloads on their page. And I like the mod authors getting credit. I love mod authors.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
To be honest it feels more like a corporate monopoly rather than a community oriented project. Compared to our current installers it just sounds like something thats driven commercially rather than out of passion for the game.

But hey- if it works, and its easy/intuitive to use [without being crammed with obnoxious adverts and spam], I'll go with it.

Reactions: RedBoss