Request BC Pump Question

Alex Gerbinno

Jul 29, 2019
So I set up a BC Pump in the nether to suck up lava to then be tesseracted back to base and power 60 magmatic dynamos. It's working absolutely perfectly other than the fact that the pumps are ignoring a large amount of lava. As you can see by the pic its sucking up some lava but a lot it's ignoring. Help?

Alex Gerbinno

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry Guys I can't get it to include it. It just shows that the pumps are sucking up only the lava from basically the middle of a lake, not the edges. It seems as if the pumps' ranges are insufficient, but I already have a chunk loader set to load the entire lake and then some. Help?

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Next time, use an Ender Thermic Pump.

It is the pricier but bigger, better and more efficient pump for lava pumping.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Wow. Thank you. That'll pump out a whole lake? Does it pump as fast or faster than the BC pump?
With enough power provided (a magmatic dynamo with default augments is enough), it pumps fast enough to provide lava for an array of 18 magmatic dynamos (which with the use of Ender IO's power monitor, capacitor bank and insulated redstone cable, stops the dynamos when the capacitor is 90% full, and will start them when it hits 50%) that powers my started base.

Which in my own experience, is as fast if not faster, than BC's pump. Also it replaces the block it pumped with smooth stone. So you do not get flowing lava everywhere.

Alex Gerbinno

Jul 29, 2019
Sweet. I'm still gonna need loads of pumps, though. I have 60 magmatic dynamos and plan on upgrading them to be 8x faster, and as such use 8x more fuel. I'd rather not make about 32 of those, any way to make them more effective?

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Sweet. I'm still gonna need loads of pumps, though. I have 60 magmatic dynamos and plan on upgrading them to be 8x faster, and as such use 8x more fuel. I'd rather not make about 32 of those, any way to make them more effective?
Dynamos are for small scale power.
Use either Big Reactors or Modular Generator for large scale power generation.
or Reactorcraft if you have it.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
OK! Which of them can I use that are powered by lava?
None of those I have mentioned runs on lava.

Though if you really want to run on lava, you can give Extra Utilities generators a try.

It has a generator that runs on lava and you can make a x8 and x64 version of it.

Texaporta

Jul 29, 2019
What he is saying is that lava is early game. Once you start scaling up it is a good idea to use a different method to generate power. Believe it or not you can basically drain the nether. Outside of some weird/laggy lava bees setup, lava quickly becomes unsustainable as your power needs grow. Lava is a legitimate choice, especially in single-player, but if you want MOAR POWER™, then you're gonna want something else. Heck, even charcoal/biomass ends up beating out lava fairly soon in progression.

There are a variety of other choices for generating RF. I will list some below with the major resources they use, starting with those listed already in this thread . Some other choices are obviously left out because I either don't use those mods or I don't care to write them out unless someone actually wants them mentioned.

Big Reactors. Consumes Yellorium.
Major Hurdle: Loads of iron, loads of options/choices in how to build them as they are custom multiblock structures.
Output Potential = Very High/Extreme+

Reactorcraft: Basically uranium.
Major hurdle: Willingness to learn and apply physics concepts to the infrastructure you build to make the materials as well as the energy processing and material handling aspects of nuclear fission based power.
Output Potential= Extreme

Railcraft:
Steam boilers. Burn either liquid fuels or solids depending on which version you make
Major Hurdle: Steel, warmup time, Explosions
Output Potential= Medium

Forestry:
Biomass/Charcoal and/or Bees
Major Hurdle: time and desire to breed endlessly to get desired traits on bees and trees. Easier with Gendustry if you have it.
Output potential=Low/Medium depending on what you do with the fuels once you make them

Other options are mostly in the genre of grow plants to make different varieties of resources and/or use the wind/sun magic box sort of things.

However, if you are dead set on lava then using an ender-thermic pump instead of the bc pump would be advised.

Remember, it isn't actually lava. It is just really hot jam.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I would actually rate Reactorcraft to be Extreme++.
It will make Big Reactors output seems like a drop in a bucket. And it is much more iron intensive then Big Reactors. :p

IMO, I would actually advise against using lava, even if one is starting out unless you're playing in SSP.

For SMP, I recommend one to start out with charcoal power. Charcoal power is very scalable. Start out with either a TE Steam Dynamo or a RailCraft 1 LP steam boiler.
When you have a an automated tree farm, you can start looking at a RailCraft 36 HP Steam Boiler or multiple of them, feeding the steam into Steam Dynamos/Engines. Then upgrade from dynamos or engines to a BR turbine reactor.

From there you can start out with a small BR turbine that takes 720 mb of steam/tick, (What a 36 HP Steam Boiler outputs) and add on more steam boilers to one turbine as you upgrade the turbine or you can build one turbine for each individual boilers.

Forestry's Biomass and Ethanol can be fed into a liquid fueled boiler. The trees you have bred and harvested can be fed to a solid fueled boiler.

MFR can make biofuel with biomaterial so if you have a sizeable crop farm, you can look into Biofuel fueled steam boiler as well.

Last edited:

Sidorion

Jul 29, 2019
In my actual world I have a MFR biofuel setup. Four 5x5 treefarms (for vanilla woods), two 3x3 Melon- and two 3x3 Pumpkin farms and a 9x9 farm with weed, carrots and potatoes feed two biofuel reactors. They produce enough fuel for 90 biofuel engines from MFR producing 160 RF/tick each.
Its a bit tricky to assure that always all nine items are in the reactors to get maximum output but Logistic Pipes and Buildcraft do an excellent job.
The output scales on usage as there is a resonant energy cells on each machine block of 30 engines that emits a redstone signal based on its filling which starts/stops two engines per power level.
Maybe I'll add a third reactor and a fourth engine block because I got still a huge surplus on the ressources.

The wood from the treefarms is burned to charcoal which runs all the trains.

Sounds circuitous, but surely is a lot more fun to build than a boring multiblock....