What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Mobs won't spawn on blocks warded by the TC warding focus
Ooh, interesting. I'm guessing TC replaces the block with something else and gives it the same texture, and because you can ward transparent blocks, the new block is tagged as transparent even if it has a solid texture. And mobs don't spawn on transparent blocks. Do they block light, though?

*Edit* The plot thickens. You can't ward transparent blocks any more, and warded blocks still do block light. So I'm wrong. So, no more warded Ethereal Glass? Boo!

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Ooh, interesting. I'm guessing TC replaces the block with something else and gives it the same texture, and because you can ward transparent blocks, the new block is tagged as transparent even if it has a solid texture. And mobs don't spawn on transparent blocks. Do they block light, though?

*Edit* The plot thickens. You can't ward transparent blocks any more, and warded blocks still do block light. So I'm wrong.
Or maybe it just prevents mob spawn? Like all those Gregtech blocks do(Granite, machine casings, metal blocks and so on).

krazy_kow

Jan 9, 2014

*Edit* The plot thickens. You can't ward transparent blocks any more, and warded blocks still do block light. So I'm wrong. So, no more warded Ethereal Glass? Boo!
That sounds way too hacky to be true. Idk if they block light though I stumbled upon this in the End, it might just be a property like rhn said

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
They don't block light they actually emit light, if you ward blocks around cursed earth it will burn. i know this from experience.
I tried it last night in the latest DW20 pack and that isn't the case. I walled myself in a dark cave and warded the entrance wall, no change to light levels. So if it causes curseed earth to burn then it's for another reason than light.

*Edit* And warded blocks are indistinguishable from the un-warded version when you aren't holding a warding wand. They never emitted light in TC4, not sure about TC3 but I don't remember it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eruantien

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
IIRC, didn't cursed earth got changed to only burn in sun light instead of any light source?

I remember I saw a changelog with regards to this so people can still use light to disable cursed earth rooms.

Reactions: Eruantien

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't played FTB since before Monster was a modpack, and today I discovered that Thermal Expansion added something called Itemducts that have applicable filters that have completely revolutionized my storage system, and have radically simplified my automatic jetpack recharger.

I also forgot about what used to be liquiducts, and rediscovered them as fluiducts. No more waterproof BCpipes for me, please. My cactus-growing days are over.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
That a QuarryPlus contrary to a normal Quarry does not just destroy all the blocks in its "setup" area.

Downside is that the entire village it just demolished is now in my ME network, including 3 Tinkers Construct workshops worth of patterns and crappy tool bits...

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
That a QuarryPlus contrary to a normal Quarry does not just destroy all the blocks in its "setup" area.

Downside is that the entire village it just demolished is now in my ME network, including 3 Tinkers Construct workshops worth of patterns and crappy tool bits...

better watch out, you'll probably have some very angry villagers coming after you now.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
better watch out, you'll probably have some very angry villagers coming after you now.
Nah zombies took care of that. ;)
And Quicksand :p
JY9lXGT.png

krazy_kow

Jan 9, 2014
EnderIO KillerJoes can be used like brain in the jars. Just put it down without a sowrd or nutrient distillation and it will suck up all the XP your diamond spikes (or similar devices) generate for you. And its storage is pretty much infinite -> no need for tanks, fluid pipes or anything. Just place and forget until you need some levels

Gamefury64

Jul 29, 2019
1. I found out porta-spawners can be found in village houses. EZ-Nether star

2. That Mcheli can be a total pain to install sometimes.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Redstone ore turns transparent (or at least is as treated as such) when touched. I have yet to think of a use for this, but TRAPS.