FTB News 25/01/2015

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I like to imagine that when the mods like a post, they're saying, "Yeah, I see this post. I'm watching you. I know what you're doing. I'm watching you. I'm on top of things. I'm watching you. When you break a rule, and that's when, not if, I'll be here.
"I'm watching you."

Oh right, yeah. Back on topic. Whoops :p
If only a mod had liked this :p

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
The term Kitchen Sink makes me think it's a pack about the asthetics of a kitchen every time ._.
CRAP! Their on to us! RUN, RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah, the term kitchen sinks is a bit of a mystery to me too... I guess it just sounds nicer than a "recycle bin pack", because essentially what the pack is, is just a load of mods thrown together without doing much, if anything, to them... Sorta like throwing all your recyclables into the recycle bin, but removing anything that can't be recycled. (the stuff that can't be recycled in the pack would be ore gen - making it so there isn't 30 different copper ore types, for example)

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
CRAP! Their on to us! RUN, RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah, the term kitchen sinks is a bit of a mystery to me too... I guess it just sounds nicer than a "recycle bin pack", because essentially what the pack is, is just a load of mods thrown together without doing much, if anything, to them... Sorta like throwing all your recyclables into the recycle bin, but removing anything that can't be recycled. (the stuff that can't be recycled in the pack would be ore gen - making it so there isn't 30 different copper ore types, for example)
It comes from the expression "brought everything but the kitchen sink" meaning pretty much everything you could possibly need in a given situation.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
What I don't understand is why it's called a "Kitchen Sink Pack" when proper use of the idiom would make it a "Everything but the Kitchen Sink Pack."

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Because it's too long and people like to change a term's meaning by using abbreviations :D

K.I.T.C.H.E.N. S.I.N.K. P.A.C.K.

Keeping
It
Thinner
Cancels
Harder
Evolution
Nuances

So
I
Never
Know

Precisely
Anything
Can
Kaboom

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
K.I.T.C.H.E.N. S.I.N.K. P.A.C.K.

Keeping
It
Thinner
Cancels
Harder
Evolution
Nuances

So
I
Never
Know

Precisely
Anything
Can
Kaboom
I like it... but it makes no sense...
Knowledge Is The Careful Helper Everyone Needs
So In Need of Knowledge
People Always Create their Knowledge here

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
It wasn't meant to... and you stuck words in! *pewpewpew*
A LOT of acronyms play about a little bit to make it sound better, for example:
AOL = America Online... should be AO
DSM = Diagnostics and Statistical Manual... should be DASM
USA = United States of America... should be USOA

So yeah, I take no shame ;)

Reactions: pc_assassin

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
What I don't understand is why it's called a "Kitchen Sink Pack" when proper use of the idiom would make it a "Everything but the Kitchen Sink Pack."

It's called a "Kitchen Sink Pack" because less than 5 milliseconds after you announce an "Everything but the Kitchen Sink Pack" someone will start complaining about "Kitchen Sink shoulda been included..." and start a petition. :D

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
A LOT of acronyms play about a little bit to make it sound better, for example:
AOL = America Online... should be AO
DSM = Diagnostics and Statistical Manual... should be DASM
USA = United States of America... should be USOA

So yeah, I take no shame ;)
Actually, it's common practice to exclude the non-capitolized words like "and" or "of"