FTB News 25/01/2015

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Quest: You have to hand in 4 octuple compressed cobble... Yeah, it's very meh in terms of a quest.
I see quests as a progression guideline in the pack. Only issue is, in KS packs, there is no defined progression. Where one person will start with Thaumcraft (for example) another will leave it until late game. There is nothing wrong with that, but it would mean you'd be telling one person their way of progression is "wrong" as the quest book says so.
Splitting the questlines into the seperate sections or using the achievement book (what is in PR). May be a way around this

I've never used HQM either

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
That may be possible

However, I've been thinking about different things that may characterize this version of modding (1.7). In 1.6 I think it was HQM. I think we may have a similar experience in this version. I don't know what it will be, but I do know that I think it would be best if it was not close to HQM. This would allow players a whole new experience.
I agree with this.
I actually would like to see in-game wiki mod become the "HQM of 1.7". Why? Because then you don't need to use HQM to teach mods, and that means a lot less work for pack devs who were going to add HQM just as a "crafting - tutorial" system (crafting quest, and the quest description is what the thing you are crafting does)

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with this.
I actually would like to see in-game wiki mod become the "HQM of 1.7". Why? Because then you don't need to use HQM to teach mods, and that means a lot less work for pack devs who were going to add HQM just as a "crafting - tutorial" system (crafting quest, and the quest description is what the thing you are crafting does)
That is a good idea, but I think we are going to have another thing come out of left field on this one. Personally, I never expected HQM when it happened

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
In this case I see it as most likely just covering the intro of each mod, allowing people to jump into whatever mod they want to via the quest book.

And as I've never used HQM in pack dev I have no idea how possible anything is, so I'll just stop it here. :p
It is totally possible, but there was a bug with HQM (dunno if this was fixed) that basically saw more quests equating to more lag. And if you covered the intro of each mod then you'd be looking at around 300 quests and maybe 150+ quest lines which could kill some computers' FPS.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
It is totally possible, but there was a bug with HQM (dunno if this was fixed) that basically saw more quests equating to more lag. And if you covered the intro of each mod then you'd be looking at around 300 quests and maybe 150+ quest lines which could kill some computers' FPS.

Bit of an issue then.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Bit of an issue then.
Just a possible small one... dunno how the lag came about (like long quest chains, or whatever) but even so, if we say it take about a minute a quest (assuming there is minimal typing done) that's still a good few hours spent on quests that take about 30 seconds to look on a wiki for, and are pretty simple to do. I would understand HQM in a gregteched kitchen sink pack, as stuff is hard there (because a lot of the game is gregged and not vanilla), but then we would be looking at DAYS of quest writing

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
HQM? For a kitchen sink pack? HQM may be nice to give players direction, but the issue is, when a player completes all the quests, often they feel like they've won. They stop playing because they've beaten the pack. Now that's okay for maps like AS or crash landing, but not for a kitchen sink pack.

Here's an alternate: Use achievement book. You can lay down certain things to accomplish and players check them off as they go. Now, this poses a similar problem, but at a much lesser scale. You see, with HQM, it's more than just the honor system, checking things off as you do them. No, the book keeps track of your achievements for you. You are given absolute proof that you did that quest, and are given a reward and a fanfare, and the percent completion number rises. With HQM, the player completes the book for a sense of satisfaction. That's not a good thing for a kitchen sink.

Now, with achievement book, there's no fanfare. No reward. No number going up. Just a checklist. Something that's simply achievable through a text document. Phoenix Reborn shows this sort of thing brilliantly. It walks you through the starting progression, what you need to do what, without giving you that sense of achievement. It gets you familiar with the mechanics without 'forcing' you to make anything.

Last edited:

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
As well, when holding the Lexicon Botania and holding shift, anything you mouse over and click will either redirect you to an appropriate Lexicon page, Minecraft Wiki page, or FTB Wiki page, depending on the block you shift click on.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
As well, when holding the Lexicon Botania and holding shift, anything you mouse over and click will either redirect you to an appropriate Lexicon page, Minecraft Wiki page, or FTB Wiki page, depending on the block you shift click on.
Not always the best option though, as some things do crash the game :/

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Just be glad you guys have a banner (which by the way means pretty much nothing). Better to be thankful for what you have than to beg for what you don't.

Reactions: xbony2