FTB News 25/01/2015

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
So you're going to say goodbye to creeperhost if you move over to curse (I hope curse have Auckland servers if you do)
If you move to the curse client please have a (Linux version - that way I don't have to use pay-for windoze [windows]!
As was mentioned before although the Curse client doesn't currently support Linux, the FTB team have put a lot of effort into an alternative for Linux users who want to download the mod packs.
As for the servers, I am not 100% certain on their locations, but I am sure there is one location close enough to Australasia for the download speeds to not be too much of an issue.

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
So you're going to say goodbye to creeperhost if you move over to curse (I hope curse have Auckland servers if you do)
If you move to the curse client please have a (Linux version - that way I don't have to use pay-for windoze [windows]!
Actually 80% of the time you start the current launcher you will be hitting our cloudflare CDN now which has data centres at all of these locations! https://www.cloudflare.com/network-map

Reactions: Padfoote

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
See this post from a while ago.

APIs generally have the potential to do everything the original software can do, at least the good ones do (think Twitter, Riot Games, so on).

They said a limited api, so it won't probably be as good as the original(I read almost everything on that thread, so I'm aware of what was said).

Currently we have no commitment to having the client for this. Some current thoughts for this include a one click download of the entire mod pack, or potentially exposing a limited API for end users to support linux. I'm going to be looking at the statistics to see if I can go to bat for the community and try to get more done officially on our side, but regardless I don't plan to leave those guys completely in the cold.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
They said a limited api, so it won't probably be as good as the original(I read almost everything on that thread, so I'm aware of what was said).
There are plenty of developers which don't make nor support any form of Linux version. I've used Linux as a primary OS before, I'd be happy with this.
Hell, I'd be happy with Wine.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
50% of my mod is developed on Linux (i.e. I switch between windows and linux for making RFTools)

pAznik

Jul 29, 2019
I looked at Captainnana's ''graph'' and i'm like majority, but what I find most interesting is that the best pack would be ''kitchensink'' with quests :)
And this is exactly what i thought when I first played Agrarian Skies, normal moded world (without food and TiC tool madness)+ quests (no need for stories,maybe just simple tips).For me, quests are interesting just for motivation, to do something different, like making 10k or 100k of purple stained glass :D
Well i also like reward bags :rolleyes:

Last edited:

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
I looked at Captainnana's ''graph'' and i'm like majority, but what I find most interesting is that the best pack would be ''kitchensink'' with quests :)
And this is exactly what i thought when I first played Agrarian Skies, normal moded world (without food and TiC tool madness)+ quests (no need for stories,maybe just simple tips).For me, quests are interesting just for motivation, to do something different, like making 10k or 100k of purple stained glass :D

The first missions could be a big tutorial and the others could be some regular challenges.

Offtopic: anyone knows if there is any way to chance the book image on HQM, without messing with the jar? I would love to make it look like a tablet for a tech based modpack.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
The first missions could be a big tutorial and the others could be some regular challenges.

Offtopic: anyone knows if there is any way to chance the book image on HQM, without messing with the jar? I would love to make it look like a tablet for a tech based modpack.
In the config folder, in the hqm folder there is an image file, change that with the one you want (edit the one that is in there, as the dimensions are weird)

Well i also like reward bags :rolleyes:
Out of the question. Sorry, but I think I speak for most of the FTB team when I say it is more effort than it is worth. If you were going to do a tutorial on every mod in the pack, you are looking at around 150+ questlines (1 quest line per tutorial), which would make HQM laggy (and probably the game), but it also means a lot of effort on the FTB literary team, and those in the Phoenix Team, which would be writing the quests. If we say, on average, there'd be 15 quests per mod, all which need a little bit of text saying what the item/block does, and how to use it, then at a minimum you'd be looking at well over 2000 quests. And personally, I hate writing quests, it's a slow process, now just think how many of us there are that would be writing quests (let's say 10, just to make this easy) that's around 200 quests per person. And the fun thing with HQM at the minute, it is impossible for multiple people to work on the quest book at the same time.
In a kitchen sink pack, which has no direction and is meant to be played at one's leisure, not played with quests telling you how to do stuff and making you give X amount of items.
NOT OFFICIAL FTB STATEMENT! Just my own.

Last edited:

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
In the config folder, in the hqm folder there is an image file, change that with the one you want (edit the one that is in there, as the dimensions are weird)

Out of the question. Sorry, but I think I speak for most of the FTB team when I say it is more effort than it is worth. If you were going to do a tutorial on every mod in the pack, you are looking at around 150+ questlines (1 quest line per tutorial), which would make HQM laggy (and probably the game), but it also means a lot of effort on the FTB literary team, and those in the Phoenix Team, which would be writing the quests. If we say, on average, there'd be 15 quests per mod, all which need a little bit of text saying what the item/block does, and how to use it, then at a minimum you'd be looking at well over 2000 quests. And personally, I hate writing quests, it's a slow process, now just think how many of us there are that would be writing quests (let's say 10, just to make this easy) that's around 200 quests per person. And the fun thing with HQM at the minute, it is impossible for multiple people to work on the quest book at the same time.
In a kitchen sink pack, which has no direction and is meant to be played at one's leisure, not played with quests telling you how to do stuff and making you give X amount of items.

Oh. We wouldn't even be able to touch the sides! We could include basic quests to introduce new players to core mechanics (flight, ore doubling excetera) but quests for EVERY MOD? Yeah. Probably not gonna happen.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Oh. We wouldn't even be able to touch the sides! We could include basic quests to introduce new players to core mechanics (flight, ore doubling etcetera) but quests for EVERY MOD? Yeah. Probably not gonna happen.
I'd say it'd be a struggle for us to even cover the core mechanics. Why?
Ore Doubling:
-Tinkers' Construct
-Thermal Expansion
-Thaumcraft
-AE2
-etc.

Flight:
-Blood Magic
-Thaumcraft
-Jet packs
-etc.

Automated tree farms:
-MFR
-Thaumcraft
-EnderIO
-etc.

There are probably tonnes more mods which do these things, as we don't have a finalized mod list yet (heck, I don't even know the preliminary one)

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
There is not a good history with curse and Wine, it used to work but since version 4 it doesn't work anymore.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=8620
The Wine thing was an off-hand comment, my main point was that if I was still using Linux primarily I'd be happy with the API or direct downloads, whichever they choose to provide.

But yeah, this clearly isn't going anywhere, we both have opinions that aren't going to shift anytime soon so I'm gonna drop this line of discussion :p

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
You could have only a get started with each mod like:

Thaumcraft: How to get the Thaumonomicon.
AE2: How to make a small network.
Thermal expansion: making simple machines.

For me Tinker Construct doesn't need tutorial because the book is given at the start as well as Mariculture for example. Thaumcraft wouldn't need anything else since the Thaumonomicon does a better job than any quest line could ever think about.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
You could have only a get started with each mod like:

Thaumcraft: How to get the Thaumonomicon.
AE2: How to make a small network.
Thermal expansion: making simple machines.

For me Tinker Construct doesn't need tutorial because the book is given at the start as well as Mariculture for example. Thaumcraft wouldn't need anything else since the Thaumonomicon does a better job than any quest line could ever think about.
It would actually be easier to find a way to integrate mods into the In-Game Wiki mod, rather than using quests. Because as good as HQM is, it doesn't belong in kitchen-sink packs

pAznik

Jul 29, 2019
Well i didn't mean quest for all mods and all items,that would be crazy :D
Just something for fun ,and that quest book is included in pack, so that in future updates someone who knows how, can make new or just expand questlines. ;)

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Just something for fun ,and that quest book is included in pack, so that in future updates someone who knows how, can make new or just expand questlines. ;)
That may be possible

However, I've been thinking about different things that may characterize this version of modding (1.7). In 1.6 I think it was HQM. I think we may have a similar experience in this version. I don't know what it will be, but I do know that I think it would be best if it was not close to HQM. This would allow players a whole new experience.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know how that'd work though.
I am not saying it's not a valid idea, it does sound like it could be something that a lot of people would enjoy. But I just don't know how it'd work.

Quest: You have to hand in 4 octuple compressed cobble... Yeah, it's very meh in terms of a quest.
I see quests as a progression guideline in the pack. Only issue is, in KS packs, there is no defined progression. Where one person will start with Thaumcraft (for example) another will leave it until late game. There is nothing wrong with that, but it would mean you'd be telling one person their way of progression is "wrong" as the quest book says so.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I don't know how that'd work though.
I am not saying it's not a valid idea, it does sound like it could be something that a lot of people would enjoy. But I just don't know how it'd work.

Quest: You have to hand in 4 octuple compressed cobble... Yeah, it's very meh in terms of a quest.
I see quests as a progression guideline in the pack. Only issue is, in KS packs, there is no defined progression. Where one person will start with Thaumcraft (for example) another will leave it until late game. There is nothing wrong with that, but it would mean you'd be telling one person their way of progression is "wrong" as the quest book says so.

In this case I see it as most likely just covering the intro of each mod, allowing people to jump into whatever mod they want to via the quest book.

And as I've never used HQM in pack dev I have no idea how possible anything is, so I'll just stop it here. :p