FTB News 25/01/2015

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
You have @Gideonseymour in the Phoenix Team... of course HQM is gonna be getting a proper use ;)
<3
As for Minetweaker, I don't think any pack shouldn't have this mod installed, even if it is just for altering conflicting recipes, as it makes life easier for server owners who want to change stuff, for example they want to allow players to be able to use ChickenChunks to load their bases, but don't want chunkload spam, so they can remove the main chunkloader, and add a "much harder" recipe for these, so that they aren't spammed... I may make this a small project of mine actually (making "server friendly" recipes - stuff that stops chunk loading spam, and removes common lag causes, such as people trying to spam endoflames/charcoal farms for mana)
And even if Minetweaker is installed on the client (with no recipes) server owners can use Minetweaker server-side, and the recipe changes will sync to the client without the client needing to do anything other than connect to a server

Reactions: Strikingwolf

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
Is HQM getting updated? The two problems i'd mention are both server related: 1) The database getting huge as you get more and more players for the modpack, and 2) going over 1000 players trying it. While only a small % of players seem to keep going in packs with HQM, AS mainly, everyone seems to try it.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Is HQM getting updated? The two problems i'd mention are both server related: 1) The database getting huge as you get more and more players for the modpack, and 2) going over 1000 players trying it. While only a small % of players seem to keep going in packs with HQM, AS mainly, everyone seems to try it.
HQM recently got updated, there is no news of a new update in the near future, but the devs have stated that they aren't dead, so that's a plus :D

I would suggest you state the issues on the bug tracker, after testing the latest version, because it may be something that they didn't know about.

Also, make sure you have tested with the latest version, and do not report bugs for older versions, it does annoy mod devs.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Yes, it's being updated. If you follow their twitter, they've been cryptically hinting at new features, and they already just recently updated.

Reactions: Strikingwolf

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
On twitter today they were saying something about json files(not for quests) collaborative quest writing and other things. The next version will not have much new for end users, only for quests makes and serves it seems(git support for quests, for example). There is no ETA tough. :(

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
On twitter today they were saying something about json files(not for quests) collaborative quest writing and other things. The next version will not have much new for end users, only for quests makes and serves it seems(git support for quests, for example). There is no ETA tough. :(
Wait git support for quests :eek:
Can I make more use of github :D

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Which is good. ETAs are terrible, as people have a hissy fit if an ETA isn't met

Reactions: Flipz and Padfoote

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
and removes common lag causes, such as people trying to spam endoflames/charcoal farms for mana
Wat? Who told you that this is a common lag cause? Seriously, do you want people to use 10x as many dayblooms instead?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Wat? Who told you that this is a common lag cause? Seriously, do you want people to use 10x as many dayblooms instead?
No, I'd much rather people use Rosa Arcana and Kekimauris ;)
Also, it's not a server issue, it's an FPS killer... when I make packs I disable the crafting of endoflames and thermalillies (assuming I have mods which make them OP) just because they can either A) Cause major FPS issues or B) Break Botania (not BREAK it, but make it easier than it should be)

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
No, I'd much rather people use Rosa Arcana and Kekimauris ;)
Also, it's not a server issue, it's an FPS killer... when I make packs I disable the crafting of endoflames and thermalillies (assuming I have mods which make them OP) just because they can either A) Cause major FPS issues or B) Break Botania (not BREAK it, but make it easier than it should be)
You can't automate the Rosa Arcana. And automating the Kekeimurus is complicated. You'd need a way to get eggs, milk, wheat and sugar cane, craft all the stuff together, deal with buckets etc.
Endoflames and Thermalilies used to cause FPS issues for me in the past, but seems like this has been fixed now.

Thermalilies are indeed easy with either the Blood Magic ritual or lava pumped from the nether. Automating Endoflames is more complicated since you need a tree farm and a way to feed the charcoal to them.
And the Endoflame is very useful early game as well, because I don't want to wait ages for Dayblooms to create enough mana for one freaking Manasteel ingot.

I honestly don't know how to get lots of mana easily in a reasonable amount of time without Endoflames (or Thermalilies).

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
You can't automate the Rosa Arcana. And automating the Kekeimurus is complicated. You'd need a way to get eggs, milk, wheat and sugar cane.
Endoflames and Thermalilies used to cause FPS issues for me in the past, but seems like this has been fixed now.

Thermalilies are indeed easy with either the Blood Magic ritual or lava pumped from the nether. Automating Endoflames is more complicated since you need a tree farm and a way to feed the charcoal to them.
And the Endoflame is very useful early game as well, because I don't want to wait ages for Dayblooms to create enough mana for one freaking Manasteel ingot.

I honestly don't know how to get lots of mana easily in a reasonable amount of time without Endoflames (or Thermalilies).
There are many ways, but people just go for the easy option :p

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
This isn't an issue anyone at Feed the Beast can control. It is an issue within Forge's code, which was supposedly fixed a few updates ago, but I believe it is also an issue in Minecraft's code too, it changes so frequently, it wouldn't surprise me.
I kind of expected that reply as I know what the issues are, I was hoping there would be info on a newer forge version that was made to combat the fr issues, its pointless to try build huge builds (like the ones needed to complete AS 1.6.4, as in 1.7 the lag/fr becomes unusable, & from what I hear 1.8 may well be even worse, but there after become easier to mod for, this is just hear say on my part as I have no code skill just google.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I kind of expected that reply as I know what the issues are, I was hoping there would be info on a newer forge version that was made to combat the fr issues, its pointless to try build huge builds (like the ones needed to complete AS 1.6.4, as in 1.7 the lag/fr becomes unusable, & from what I hear 1.8 may well be even worse, but there after become easier to mod for, this is just hear say on my part as I have no code skill just google.
1.8 may kill modders, from what I have heard, however I believe it is more stable than 1.7 fr wise. However 1.7 is getting better, and we (as a modding community) will probably be staying with 1.7 for a while, we don't want to rush into 1.8, sorta like we did with 1.7, only to find everything is laggy and broken.

I am not speaking for anyone other than myself here, but I feel like there won't be an "unstable" 1.8 mod pack until July at the earliest. Seeing as there none of the "big" mods (Buildcraft, thaumcraft, tinkers, etc.) released for 1.8, and I always see the release of big mods on the new MC version as a start time before mod packs become stable. Big mods find bugs in the code faster than those that add zombie flesh smelting, and stuff, just because there is a lot more code than can, and most likely will, be broken. Once the first "stable" version of the big mods are out, then I'd say 2 months before enough of the big mods have updated to make an unstable pack, and another few month until players have given enough crashlogs, error reports, etc. before it is possible to see stable mod packs.

I mean look now, it was around the end of the 3rd quarter/start of 4th quarter last year when FTB Unstable was released, and that was damn near unplayable for most people, mod (pack) stability has increased a MASSIVE amount since then, but there is still work to be done

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
On popular demand here is are the results of our survey.
bNz0eWG.png

You do however need to be realistic about what this shows you, I used a fairly small sample size and it was only from the forums. If anything is unclear let me know and I should be able to clarify :)

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
On popular demand here is are the results of our survey.
bNz0eWG.png

You do however need to be realistic about what this shows you, I used a fairly small sample size and it was only from the forums. If anything is unclear let me know and I should be able to clarify :)

What was the sample size?

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Will it have function parity with the Windows version?

If not that will not be fine to me and, as I already said, will mean goodbye. It is not a question of anger or anything like that, but I will always have the alternative to use the launchers and packs that do want me as a player and that offer me the same functionalities as any other user(like atlauncher and tekkit) without needing hacks, workaround, downloading something on Windows and then copying it on Linux or any other sketchy, no supported way of having the same as any other user.
See this post from a while ago.
At the end of the day its 1% of our current userbase so I can understand Curse being reluctant to spend time/money supporting that (I'm not allowed to discuss why that's costly but it is - essentially it's not just a minecraft client) but the point I'm trying to get across here is: It doesn't matter. If Curse don't support Linux. I will. Or someone will, again it doesn't matter, Curse have committed to an API that will allow other launchers to work using the a new API for CurseForge, downloads of the whole modpacks will also be available as I understand it so even if Curse don't support Linux it doesn't matter because someone will be able to implement a installer that does work on Linux.
APIs generally have the potential to do everything the original software can do, at least the good ones do (think Twitter, Riot Games, so on).

Reactions: Padfoote

ethanbmnz

Jul 29, 2019
So you're going to say goodbye to creeperhost if you move over to curse (I hope curse have Auckland servers if you do)
If you move to the curse client please have a (Linux version - that way I don't have to use pay-for windoze [windows]!