Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

sticky1415

Jul 29, 2019
So I have a rather long winded question :p. Is it possible to get a standalone download for a whole modpack? I ask because the only internet I have access to is from my phone so if I could download it on my phone I could transfer it to my computer.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
So I have a rather long winded question :p. Is it possible to get a standalone download for a whole modpack? I ask because the only internet I have access to is from my phone so if I could download it on my phone I could transfer it to my computer.
Do you mean download the folders, and then put them into multimc/minecraft launcher, or something, and then add them all manually?

If so, it would be possible BUT very complex as you would need:
Access to the file downloads for the mod pack
Knowledge of which forge version they are using
And then ofc downloading/transferring files using mobile device.

My advice would be if you have a laptop, go to somewhere with free wifi and download the modpack there.
Or take a USB stick to a library and download the modpacks onto that using their computers.

sticky1415

Jul 29, 2019
Do you mean download the folders, and then put them into multimc/minecraft launcher, or something, and then add them all manually?

If so, it would be possible BUT very complex as you would need:
Access to the file downloads for the mod pack
Knowledge of which forge version they are using
And then ofc downloading/transferring files using mobile device.

My advice would be if you have a laptop, go to somewhere with free wifi and download the modpack there.
Or take a USB stick to a library and download the modpacks onto that using their computers.

Well I really just meant finding a way to download an entire mod pack and then transfering it to the ftb folder. I don't have a laptop either so my only option may be to go to the library with a usb

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Well I really just meant finding a way to download an entire mod pack and then transfering it to the ftb folder. I don't have a laptop either so my only option may be to go to the library with a usb
Well you would struggle using your phone, as most pack devs don't upload their files publicly (only making them available through the launcher)

If your computer can accept wireless signal, you could always use your phone to tether the internet (I would assume your phone can do this as it can download files)

sticky1415

Jul 29, 2019
Well you would struggle using your phone, as most pack devs don't upload their files publicly (only making them available through the launcher)

If your computer can accept wireless signal, you could always use your phone to tether the internet (I would assume your phone can do this as it can download files)

I think what ill end up doing is borrowing a friend of mines laptop to take to the library. Just seems like the least complicated way to do it :) thanks for the speedy replies

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any benefits to using runes of acceleration in a blood altar over runes of dislocation?
Rune of acceleration? I've never heard of these...
If they are an upgrade to speed runes, then they do differently to the dislocation.

Dislocation increases the speed at which the altar drains (i.e how much Life Essence you can pump out a second) Speed runes increase the speed at which stuff crafts

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
It supposedly increase the rate in which the altar transfers blood (rather than once every 20 ticks, once every 19 ticks etc), but I'm not sure if it's actually any faster than the runes of dislocation. (19 acceleration runes speed the altar by x20, while 19 speed runes should do it by more than 30, if there's nothing i'm missing)

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
It supposedly increase the rate in which the altar transfers blood (rather than once every 20 ticks, once every 19 ticks etc), but I'm not sure if it's actually any faster than the runes of dislocation. (19 acceleration runes speed the altar by x20, while 19 speed runes should do it by more than 30, if there's nothing i'm missing)
but dislocation is capped by the buffer size, which is why the acceleration runes exist

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
but dislocation is capped by the buffer size, which is why the acceleration runes exist
And that explains it.
So it's best to use the dislocation up to it's cap and then acceleration. Should be then 20*1.2^x=1000
1.2^x=50
(google)
21 runes of dislocation and 19 runes of acceleration?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

Look out for those 3g/4g data charges if you use a phone, though... They'll kill you and the download may take quite a while at cellphone speeds.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Look out for those 3g/4g data charges if you use a phone, though... They'll kill you and the download may take quite a while at cellphone speeds.
*facepalms* I also forgot to mention most networks (at least here in the UK) don't allow tethering by default, you have to jump through some hoops to activate it.. or by naughty and find ways around it

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
And that explains it.
So it's best to use the dislocation up to it's cap and then acceleration. Should be then 20*1.2^x=1000
1.2^x=50
(google)
21 runes of dislocation and 19 runes of acceleration?

Wrong! turns out the buffer's size is 10% of the total capacity.

...So...

I'm totally lost, again, about what's the most efficient use of runes.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Wrong! turns out the buffer's size is 10% of the total capacity.

...So...

I'm totally lost, again, about what's the most efficient use of runes.
It depends how you use your altar, if you have a WoS, and just use it to keep your orb filled:
Sacrifice runes, rune of the orb, rune of augment capacity (the better one, I believe there are 2 types)... And split them 1/3 each
If you also use it for crafting:
same as before but with speed runes, 10% speed runes, and then split the rest between the other 3

Or at least that is how I do it :p