Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Montybone1234

Jul 29, 2019
He's probably just not very knowledgable about how programming works. He's not stupid, just ignorant. It's our duty as knowledgable people to educate those ready to learn, and from what I've read, no one's told him yet why it won't work. All they're saying is he needs to buy something to play a game he's already bought. It's not his fault he's ignorant, no one's probably ever took the time to teach him even the basics of coding. He's just asking for something that would let him play Minecraft like we do

TL;DR: Ignorant != Stupid
This is SO true. I'm the same way with not being very knowledgeable about how all of this works, I am trying though.

Reactions: 1SDAN

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019

This guy is more unlucky than stupid IMO

Still, what he's trying to do (or asking other people to do) will break a bunch of stuff...

Backdating to that version of OpenGL would be a lot of work for very little gain.
If there was a significant number of players affected by this then it could be a worthwhile fix- if someone is willing to build such a mod.
(though outright removing the OpenGL files is plain stupid; but given the rest of the post I'd say its badly phrased communication rather than asking for something stupid)

He's probably just not very knowledgable about how programming works. He's not stupid, just ignorant. It's our duty as knowledgable people to educate those ready to learn, and from what I've read, no one's told him yet why it won't work. All they're saying is he needs to buy something to play a game he's already bought. It's not his fault he's ignorant, no one's probably ever took the time to teach him even the basics of coding. He's just asking for something that would let him play Minecraft like we do

Up tell just recently that guy was me so please give him a break. If I had know anything about coding I would have tried the same thing.

Also.... http://www.planetminecraft.com/mod/mod-opengl-fixer/

(Just saying)

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I think that's one of the things a lot of developers forget after a while: what its like being a regular user. Developers might not know exactly how a program works, but we do have a general idea of what is and isn't feasible in a given context. Regular users don't even know where to begin; the moment you start mentioning things more complex than, say, Word, their eyes tend to kinda glaze over. Its not their fault, really, unless they're just willfully ignorant and refuse to learn even the simplest things. Though, on the other hand, it won't stop me from cracking the occasional "dumb user" joke.

Reactions: 1SDAN and CoolSquid

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com

I have to agree that this particular case is not of a stupid user. He is unaware of the amount of work involved, but that is not surprising or extreme, and the fact he knows the reason to be OpenGL is a lot more than I can say for some users. This would have been bad if he was asking for a mod to make his GPU newer, but this? Not really.

Reactions: 1SDAN

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I think that's one of the things a lot of developers forget after a while: what its like being a regular user. Developers might not know exactly how a program works, but we do have a general idea of what is and isn't feasible in a given context. Regular users don't even know where to begin; the moment you start mentioning things more complex than, say, Word, their eyes tend to kinda glaze over. Its not their fault, really, unless they're just willfully ignorant and refuse to learn even the simplest things. Though, on the other hand, it won't stop me from cracking the occasional "dumb user" joke.
^
I have to agree that this particular case is not of a stupid user. He is unaware of the amount of work involved, but that is not surprising or extreme, and the fact he knows the reason to be OpenGL is a lot more than I can say for some users. This would have been bad if he was asking for a mod to make his GPU newer, but this? Not really.
^
There are few of these cases though. Most cases are "StupidIDExceptions" (Thank you for that new term BTW :p)

Reactions: 1SDAN and CoolSquid

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
^

There are few of these cases though. Most cases are "StupidIDExceptions" (Thank you for that new term BTW :p)
You should see how people are reacting to StupidIDExceptions...
DestructionMaker said:
Why are you so mean in your mods logs? I mean saying something.StupidIDException.something and saying "please learn how IDs work before changing them" due to accidently setting to high value is really not neccesary. You could have simply said "not valid ID" instead of insulting players due to accidental mistakes..
Reika said:
"Learn how IDs work" is not mean. If I wanted to be mean, I would say something to the effect of "if you want to install mods, find someone capable of reading and understanding instructions" or "if you cannot manage setting an ID, there is little point in you trying to use RotaryCraft".

Additionally, 99.5% of the time, this error is not thrown because of accidental mistakes but because the user is genuinely clueless, picking IDs in the thousands for potions and biomes, in the millions for blocks and items (pre 1.7) and sometimes even negative. Often it looks like they just banged a random keyset and ended up with something like 3549834589.
DestructionMaker said:
It doesnt need to assume it was someone who desont know anything about mods who used that ID, its like you assume someone is guilty until proven innocent, would you kill someone before you even checked if that man did anything at all? You can simply say neutral message instead of potentially insulting one to whoever made the mistake.

And why do you want to discourage people who are clueless from editing configs, maybe that person would make the best mod you ever saw after a year after they learn how minecraft works and get discouraged by people who point to them that they dont know anything YET (like your message is).

Or if you really want to say something like that to someone who definately doesnt know anything about mods, you can check if number was possibly mistyped and would work if typed properly, maybe even change it by the mod itself if it notices that ID would work if typed properly, lets say someone wanted to type 64 and accidently typed 644, which wouldnt work, and your mod notices it wouldnt work and sees that there are two same numbers at numbers end which could mean that someone accidently mistyped it, so it removes one of them and makes that number 64 and it works. Or you could even make your mod search for a ID thats free by itself which some mods already do.
quedral said:
@DestructionMaker. Pointles Arguments. Not very productive and surely wont change Reika's future replies to such "mistakes"

As far as i've seen Reika operates like an old OS which gives you one line messages like:

"Fixed"

"Jar.Zip"

"Yes"

"Update"

"???" (Translates as Syntax Error)

And occasionally an awesome Screen shot which will be implemented in future version.

You shouldn't get offended in any way imho. Thats the way he works
635356669595335315.png

Just to let you know, I removed your mods from my pack because I saw you making fun of people who pick bad IDs. If you had been more open minded I wouldn't have avoided your mods and you'd get a bit of advertising from me.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
In other news, a new favorite term for me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult_programming

Example:
"Why are you using relay methods? You should try to minimize the number of function calls you make!"
"Why?"
"Because it is the rule!"
"Why is it the rule? Is there a good reason?"
"There must be, I was taught that way!"
...And then you look it up and find that function calls were expensive in FORTRAN in 1973.

Another example:
"Oh jesus stop it with all the local variables. Are you trying to waste RAM?"
"Would you prefer an entire formula be in one line?"
"Yes!"
"You do realize that 500 bytes is not 40% of your RAM anymore, right?"

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
In other news, a new favorite term for me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult_programming

Example:
"Why are you using relay methods? You should try to minimize the number of function calls you make!"
"Why?"
"Because it is the rule!"
"Why is it the rule? Is there a good reason?"
"There must be, I was taught that way!"
...And then you look it up and find that function calls were expensive in FORTRAN in 1973.
Amazing...Also that is against all modern OOP...

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Just to let you know, I removed your mods from my pack because I saw you making fun of people who pick bad IDs. If you had been more open minded I wouldn't have avoided your mods and you'd get a bit of advertising from me.

If someone had built his pack properly; his users won't need to be changing IDs.
I think you've saved yourself some tech support troubles.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Erm...WOW. I pity the poor fool that had to type that monstrosity more than once. To clear that...thing from my mind, I shall now venture to the store for crisps, so I may more thoroughly enjoy my guacamole.
Speaking of dumb code, an example from vMC in the Block class:

Code:
public void dropBlockAsItem(World world, int x, int y, int z, int fortune) {
dropBlockAsItemWithChance(world, x, y, z, fortune, 1);
}

public void dropBlockAsItemWithChance(World world, int x, int y, int z, int fortune, float chance) {
dropBlockAsItem_do(world, x, y, z, fortune, chance);
}

private void dropBlockAsItem_do(World world, int x, int y, int z, int fortune, float chance) {
dropBlockAsItem_do_do(world, x, y, z, fortune, chance);
}

private void dropBlockAsItem_do_do(World world, int x, int y, int z, int fortune, float chance) {
<actual drop code>
}

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of dumb code, an example from vMC in the Block class:

Code:
public void dropBlockAsItem(World world, int x, int y, int z, int fortune) {
dropBlockAsItemWithChance(world, x, y, z, fortune, 1);
}

public void dropBlockAsItemWithChance(World world, int x, int y, int z, int fortune, float chance) {
dropBlockAsItem_do(world, x, y, z, fortune, chance);
}

private void dropBlockAsItem_do(World world, int x, int y, int z, int fortune, float chance) {
dropBlockAsItem_do_do(world, x, y, z, fortune, chance);
}

private void dropBlockAsItem_do_do(World world, int x, int y, int z, int fortune, float chance) {
<actual drop code>
}

That's the most elaborately-setup poop joke I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.