Lava Generator x64 and Lava Fabricators... would that work?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

rungok

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps I'm not entirely sure I'm doing it right, but I was thinking I could just connect a lava fabricator to a lava generator x64 and have a perpetual energy machine I suppose.
The devices are:
http://ftbwiki.org/Lava_Generator_x64
http://ftbwiki.org/Lava_Fabricator
I would connect them with an ender fluid conduit and advanced energy conduit from EnderIO.

My thought was that the x64 generator would make enough power per bucket of lava to power the thing that makes buckets of lava + some extra.

But I'm not sure if that's really the case. Can anyone tell me if they've done this and pulled it off? the overall goal is to provide a minimal sized (2-3 blocks) power generator for our server's trips into the End and other realms.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Perhaps I'm not entirely sure I'm doing it right, but I was thinking I could just connect a lava fabricator to a lava generator x64 and have a perpetual energy machine I suppose.
The devices are:
http://ftbwiki.org/Lava_Generator_x64
http://ftbwiki.org/Lava_Fabricator
I would connect them with an ender fluid conduit and advanced energy conduit from EnderIO.

My thought was that the x64 generator would make enough power per bucket of lava to power the thing that makes buckets of lava + some extra.

But I'm not sure if that's really the case. Can anyone tell me if they've done this and pulled it off? the overall goal is to provide a minimal sized (2-3 blocks) power generator for our server's trips into the End and other realms.
200k RF per bucket of lava produced by the Lava fabricator. (20k MJ/bucket)
160k RF per bucket produced in Lava Generator (80RF/t*20t/s*100s/b) or (40RF/t*20t/s*200s/b)

So no, will not run at a profit.

(Based on info on the wikis you linked)

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
Given the ludicrous inefficiency of the generators of Extra Utilities, it is probably impossible to make any kind of power profit. In order to make a power profit, you would need to generate lava for under 40,000 RF/B. Tema nerfed the living hell out of all the generators, so I'd strongly recommend you avoid them as much as you can. Basically, you need to generate over 200,000 RF per bucket of lava to make a surplus.

So, I recommend the magmatic dynamo instead. It will give you 180,000RF/B, but I would imagine fiddling around with some of the upgrades would bring this over the necessary 200,000RF/B. In addition, using netherrack in a magma crucible will lower the power:bucket ratio to 120,000:1. the only real issue is that it would require a lot of dynamos to receive a ton of power. If you need a lot of compact power, you need to look at some other sources :(

yotus

Jul 29, 2019
Given the ludicrous inefficiency of the generators of Extra Utilities, it is probably impossible to make any kind of power profit. In order to make a power profit, you would need to generate lava for under 40,000 RF/B. Tema nerfed the living hell out of all the generators, so I'd strongly recommend you avoid them as much as you can. Basically, you need to generate over 200,000 RF per bucket of lava to make a surplus.

So, I recommend the magmatic dynamo instead. It will give you 180,000RF/B, but I would imagine fiddling around with some of the upgrades would bring this over the necessary 200,000RF/B. In addition, using netherrack in a magma crucible will lower the power:bucket ratio to 120,000:1. the only real issue is that it would require a lot of dynamos to receive a ton of power. If you need a lot of compact power, you need to look at some other sources :(

With 2-3 magma crucibles, 2-3 magmatic dynamos (don't remember which one I had the most) and a good supply of netherrack, I was able to produce a surplus of lava, thus a gain of power. But the downside was indeed that it needed netherrack to work

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
With 2-3 magma crucibles, 2-3 magmatic dynamos (don't remember which one I had the most) and a good supply of netherrack, I was able to produce a surplus of lava, thus a gain of power. But the downside was indeed that it needed netherrack to work
If you really want self sufficient lava power, I would instead strongly suggest investing a bit of time in getting the Demonic bees. They are very early on and don't require much breeding(it is basically 3-5 cross-breeds where most of them are guaranteed). They produce phosphor which can be squeezed together with sand, dirt, cobble etc. to make lava. And as a bonus they produce glowstone!

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I'll second @rhn. The pack has to only contain vanilla Forestry to allow you to make lava from bees, *and* the breeding tree is shallow and has relatively high % chance of success. They are far quicker/easier than Industrial/Imperial that so many other species rely upon.

The trick is you have to breed them in the Nether. Just plan on a session of mild AFK in the Nether or else chunk-loading that section of the Nether.

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I'll second @rhn. The pack has to only contain vanilla Forestry to allow you to make lava from bees, *and* the breeding tree is shallow and has relatively high % chance of success. They are far quicker/easier than Industrial/Imperial that so many other species rely upon.

The trick is you have to breed them in the Nether. Just plan on a session of mild AFK in the Nether or else chunk-loading that section of the Nether.
Indeed. I would suggest snatching some Tropical bees first though, setting them automated somewhere remote(no breeding required) with a dropoff chest for produce in safe distance and let them produce some silk wisps for you before you start. This way you have a full suit of Apirists armour to protect you from the nasty effects of the nether bees :p

rungok

Jul 29, 2019
Oh dear.

My sleep deprived brain somehow omitted one of the 0's last night.

Thanks for the ways to pull it off!

Could I power a pump to transfer lava from the nether or even the blood magic ritual? (My blood magic rit would be preferred since it would be relatively infinite.

rdemay91

Jul 29, 2019
Oh dear.

My sleep deprived brain somehow omitted one of the 0's last night.

Thanks for the ways to pull it off!

Could I power a pump to transfer lava from the nether or even the blood magic ritual? (My blood magic rit would be preferred since it would be relatively infinite.
Right now I have 4 lava generators powering enderpump which in turn fills them with lava in the nether. Then all excess goes to ender tank to power my ae system till I get my base built and change power production. Blood magic is infinite assuming you have a decent way of generating enough lap and is a great way to power your base.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
I did some quick testing on a magmatic dynamo with all three efficiency augmentations will generate 333,040 RF from one bucket of lava. The lava fabricator only requires 200,000 RF but the magma crucible running stone needs 320,000 RF. This opens the way to generate infinite lava without keeping chunks in the nether loaded with an ender-thermic pump! I've never bred demonic bees in my survival worlds but I'm excited to especially since it can be a great source of glowstone. Several good ideas in this thread.

Last edited:

rdemay91

Jul 29, 2019
With the efficiency upgrades seems like unlimited cosmic power. But first need to make sure bulk of power goes to producing lava until its self sustaining

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
It is unlimited power although not a massive excess. You still get more bang for your buck from MFR laser drills mining yellorite used to power a big reactor but I always get a kick out of using these positive feedback loops so you can be sure I'll use both.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
It is unlimited power although not a massive excess. You still get more bang for your buck from MFR laser drills mining yellorite used to power a big reactor but I always get a kick out of using these positive feedback loops so you can be sure I'll use both.
In addition to being rather a cross mod exploit, the server/pc resource footprint of the lave fabricator etc. is rather large compared to power produced. You need a lot units and automation to produce a decent amount of power as most is going back to producing the lava.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
...You still get more bang for your buck from MFR laser drills mining yellorite used to power a big reactor....

That depends on configs, and is one that is modified quite a lot.

Reactorcrafts Fusion Reactor is easily made self sustaining. It only requires a large canola farm for lubricant, and some ocean water to get deuterium. ( If you don't mind reducing your power output, you can just use regular water to make the deuterium in another set of neutron irradiation chambers. ) Then you have to figure out what to do with all of that power:)

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
In addition to being rather a cross mod exploit, the server/pc resource footprint of the lave fabricator etc. is rather large compared to power produced. You need a lot units and automation to produce a decent amount of power as most is going back to producing the lava.

I completely agree with this assessment. For me personally, I think I would need 100+ dynamos to meet my power requirements and that probably would start to take up a decent amount of the 50ms tick on my computer.

rungok

Jul 29, 2019
I do not have reactorcraft, unfortunately.

What i do have is thus:
Gilded Aether Extractor/Condenser
20 16k drives in my ME system.
1 digital miner
3 ultimate energy cubes
Tier 5 blood magic, havent moved to 6 yet.
End game thaumcraft, ichor wrapped ichorium capped wand, working on eldrich stuffs
+machines/craft blocks needed to make all the above.

Overall my end goal was to make a "set it and forget it." Source of power. I have a big reactor, but it takes up space and i still gotta go collect the stuff. (Though i do have it input/output fuel through the ME system)
Is there anything in the stuff that i have listed above that would get me a perpetual or otherwise worry free power arrangement?

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have Extra Utilities? If so, a big reactor and an XU quarry = infinite power forever. Same question with Buildcraft and MFR.

Or alternatively you could use a cursed earth well of suffering to keep insane amounts of LP in your soul network and then use some serenades of the nether to keep banks of magmatic dynamos with 8x power output upgrades running. 20 such dynamos would rip through some lava but they would also kick out 12,800 RF/t which is pretty respectable for most things.

Last edited:

rungok

Jul 29, 2019
I do have those things. Ill work on the upgrades for the dynamos and try that out.

[EDIT] It appears I do not have any kind of upgrades for the Dynamos. I've got four of them running off two pumps standing over a pair of serenades of the nether and surrounded by tanks for the lava. Just no... power output upgrades.

[EDIT 2, THE RE-EDITING] Nevermind, they're called augments. :p

Last edited:

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
I found an awesome lava generating machine, but it involves RotaryCraft, so if you don't have it then :(

The Rock Melter: it is a boss. It will generate 2 buckets of lava per netherrack. Powering it with a gasoline engine works wonders; I've filled up reservoirs in minutes. If you cannot get netherrack, smooth stone with get you a single bucket per block. You can use the Igneous Extruder to get an unlimited supply of smooth stone. I wouldn't use cobblestone because that only gives you 500mB per block. In addition, the Rock Melter acts as a magma crucible. You don't really have to worry about the temperature because the gasoline engine brings it to almost 1050C.

It's a win in a box :p