Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Miguel1118

Jul 29, 2019
There is always an alternative to computercraft! It's called "the fun way"...

CC is boring, "easy" (not in terms of coding, but as in it simplifies everything into 1 block + monitors - optional), and over powered.
for 7 gold, 1 glass pane, and 1 redstone (defauilt), you are able to create programs to automate almost anything (should you know how). And that is the reason I never, willingly, add CC to a pack, and it doesn't matter how much people moan about it not being there. I would much rather have 20/100 people not play the pack because of no CC, than have everyone go the "easy" way and not the "fun" way when it comes to automation.

As for what you want to do, yes, it's pretty simple, you put a comparator next to your energy cell, and set you generators to only be active on low redstone signal (if TE/EIO /Big Reactors generators) and wire up the energy cell like so:
Cell|comparator|redstone dust(*1)|red alloy wire (or equivalent)|machines
*1: the redstone dust should go out until the signal strength reaches 1 (WAILA will tell you its strength)
The best way to do this would be fill your energy cell to about 75/80% full, disable all inputs, and then set it up.
That way you will have a spare bit of buffer while your generators produce their last bits of RF

Thanks, you give me an idea, I have a lot of generators so instead of wire all them I just put a comparator next to my capacitor bank, then out the redstone signal 5 blocks and then back to the energy conduict which feed my capacitor bank with redstone mode "active without signal" so when the capacitor is 80% full it send the redstone signal to energy conduict and it stop sending energy and generators stop working.

Edit: well there is a little trouble, the signal is instant so the capacitor reach 80% then 79% and then 80% again a lot of times per min, how could I delay it?
Comparators would work cause I need the output signal strenght..

Last edited:

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, you give me an idea, I have a lot of generators so instead of wire all them I just put a comparator next to my capacitor bank, then out the redstone signal 5 blocks and then back to the energy conduict which feed my capacitor bank with redstone mode "active without signal" so when the capacitor is 80% full it send the redstone signal to energy conduict and it stop sending energy and generators stop working.

Edit: well there is a little trouble, the signal is instant so the capacitor reach 80% then 79% and then 80% again a lot of times per min, how could I delay it?
Repeaters?
If you have BluePower/ProjectRed use a few of theirs on full tick delay. They will give you plenty of time to drain the capacitor banks ;)

Miguel1118

Jul 29, 2019
Repeaters?
If you have BluePower/ProjectRed use a few of theirs on full tick delay. They will give you plenty of time to drain the capacitor banks ;)

Whoa thanks, I didnt know red project has a repeater, I think one of them will be enough :) Problem solved

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
If you insist on using the (IMO horrible) comparator method, you should detect both when the cell is at 85% and at 15% and then use a RS latch to toggle the generators on at 15% and off at 85%. This way you wont get the flickering and you will have the generators running for longer at the time(which for most stuff ensures better efficiency).

Reactions: Miguel1118

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
If you insist on using the (IMO horrible) comparator method, you should detect both when the cell is at 85% and at 15% and then use a RS latch to toggle the generators on at 15% and off at 85%. This way you wont get the flickering and you will have the generators running for longer at the time(which for most stuff ensures better efficiency).
Circuits > Computers.
If you know how to do either of them, then you know that circuits are still fun to set-up, where CC is just looking at a PC screen, putting in code, and voila.
My only gripe with some mod(packs) is the amount of time you spend in GUIs

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Circuits > Computers.
If you know how to do either of them, then you know that circuits are still fun to set-up, where CC is just looking at a PC screen, putting in code, and voila.
My only gripe with some mod(packs) is the amount of time you spend in GUIs
Don't really want to keep debating this, I have nothing against Redstone circuits, I use Project Red Integration and Transmission EVERYWHERE. But I cant stand vanilla Redstone wire due to its horrible mechanics. I could use a MFR PRC, but what exactly would be the difference between that and the CC computer? With the CC computer at least I have to do the creative work of creating the code to make it work.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Don't really want to keep debating this, I have nothing against Redstone circuits, I use Project Red Integration and Transmission EVERYWHERE. But I cant stand vanilla Redstone wire due to its horrible mechanics. I could use a MFR PRC, but what exactly would be the difference between that and the CC computer? With the CC computer at least I have to do the creative work of creating the code to make it work.
But with a PRC you are limited to purely redstone stuff. If that is all CC did, then I would have no issues with using it. But because you can use aspects of the mod to farm, mine, kill entities, etc. it's just a little TOO op IMO

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
But with a PRC you are limited to purely redstone stuff. If that is all CC did, then I would have no issues with using it. But because you can use aspects of the mod to farm, mine, kill entities, etc. it's just a little TOO op IMO
Ahh then it is an issue with Turtles. I can semi understand that. I am a bit torn about those too. But for me it never really became a too great an issue. They are still very limited and prone to bugs. Specially the fact they are moving entities and are often lost during server/pc restarts. And even the best attempts at making the code persistent to restarts often fails due to the moving entity bug(the position they last logged might infact not be the position they are in after restart...). So simply out of frustration of having to constantly babysit them, replace them, reprogram them, reset them etc. I try as much as possible to avoid them. And that in it self implies a sort of balance to them I find.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh then it is an issue with Turtles. I can semi understand that. I am a bit torn about those too. But for me it never really became a too great an issue. They are still very limited and prone to bugs. Specially the fact they are moving entities and are often lost during server/pc restarts. And even the best attempts at making the code persistent to restarts often fails due to the moving entity bug(the position they last logged might infact not be the position they are in after restart...). So simply out of frustration of having to constantly babysit them, replace them, reprogram them, reset them etc. I try as much as possible to avoid them. And that in it self implies a sort of balance to them I find.
Well if you are playing on SP, it's not really an issue at all :p
Also, the fact that they run off of an easy to get and give fuel source is just a bit meh.

Anyway, we are getting off topic...

Question about Galacticraft. What is the BEST way to get oxygen in a space station? (for both oxygen bubbles and seals)

PokeMaserJ

Jul 29, 2019
two things. First thing, is there a list of the "Champion "Mobs from Thaumcraft and their effects? Second thing, anyone know what mod adds purple sheep that spawn named "Baabara"?

rdemay91

Jul 29, 2019
Well if you are playing on SP, it's not really an issue at all :p
Also, the fact that they run off of an easy to get and give fuel source is just a bit meh.

Anyway, we are getting off topic...

Question about Galacticraft. What is the BEST way to get oxygen in a space station? (for both oxygen bubbles and seals)
Tree farm with oxygen collectors above not an auto tree farm more like flip a switch then let new ones grow uses most leaves then flip switch and start again

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
A question on Forestry configuration, I'm trying to piece together a all magic with no tech pack, and is wondering if Forestry can be advanced without he use of the machines at all or not?

At the very least, the bees and maybe, butterflies as well. Trees wise, is there any point to them if I do not use it for biomass?

Thanks.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
A question on Forestry configuration, I'm trying to piece together a all magic with no tech pack, and is wondering if Forestry can be advanced without he use of the machines at all or not?

At the very least, the bees and maybe, butterflies as well. Trees wise, is there any point to them if I do not use it for biomass?

Thanks.
It's pretty much just the bees and the trees (and the annoying flappy things). However, crafting wise you would be limited to Bee Houses, as it's the only bee housing that does not require the carpenter to make. (Yes you can get apairies from villages or trading with bee villagers). I debate what the point of most bees are if you can't use the Centrifuge to get the stuff out of the combs. And to add to the already lengthy bee breeding, you cannot make the Bee/Treealyzer, as both require the carpenter.

Taking out the Machines from forestry really guts about 80% of the mod imo.
No, all it does is equip the jetpack.
Try placing it in a crafting grid then, there been a recent change as to how Jetpacks are armored.

Reactions: PierceSG

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
I've been playing around with rotarycraft, reactorcraft and electricraft recently. Loads of fun :).

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but Is there anyway to increase the output of electricraft batteries?

I ask because it seems odd that at endgame reactorcraft can generate 900MW with a single turbine (a low pressure turbine, and not using ammonia), and fission reactors hit gigawatts. Yet the final tier battery from electricraft can only transfer power at a measly 250(ish) MW. So unless I want to make 3 or 4 aurora batteries (which require 8 stacks of diamonds per battery) per turbine, I feel really ripped off on power transfer...

its basically taking a waterfall, then forcing it through a garden hose. You're going to need a lot of hoses...

Does noone ever really use upwards of 300MW of power, or does everyone using reactorcraft have loads of batteries?

Or am I missing something?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

Thanks.
Yeah as mentioned you will need at least the Carpenter, Squeezer and Centrifuge for the bees. And power to them. Breeding can be done manually all the way, but it is a LOT of work without the ExtraBees machines(and then even still).

The trees do not really serve a whole lot of purpose if not used in conjunction with bees(for seedoil for example), for biomass or for coloured wood(and the whole Extra trees carpentry pattern deal).

Reactions: PierceSG

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
if you pick up a terra shatterer from a mana pool when you're leveling it up, will you lose the progress you've so far made on the leveling?