Tainted base, please help!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I was working on increasing my vis network node and out ranging for nodes. I found several and Teleposed them in, when to my great mistake accidentally sending a tainted node to my base (I missed scanning one. It was at the edge of a tained biome and for some reason it didn't click for me to check.)

Now I removed the node and the other nodes that had been infected, but no matter how I try to remove the fibrous taint from my base, it keeps spreading back. I'm slightly isolated from the rest of my server group but not very isolated. What can I do to fix this before it spreads out into my friend's places, or worse, my GF's farm?

There are two aspects to tainted lands that are important:

Principally there is the tainted lands biome - this is actually quite innocuous - it does not spread by itself, mostly acts like a magical biome - it does however allow fibrous taint to grow and will corrupt (taint) any nodes that occur in it.

fibrous taint - grows over the surface of solid blocks in tainted lands biomes. fibrous taint is NOT spontaneously created in tainted lands biome - it must spread from existing fibrous taint. (tainted dirt and crusted taint blocks act like blocks with fibrous taint), The only things that create new fibrous taint are - tainted sheep grazing - tainted creepers exploding, tainted nodes, extremely large quantities of flux goo, and the primal focus. And, of course, bottled taint.

If you manually remove all fibrous taint (including any crusted taint or tainted dirt blocks) and none of the other things are present, fibrous taint will stop spreading / spawning.

Fibrous taint cannot survive outside tainted lands biome but when it reaches the edge it will - extremely slowley - grow the tainted lands biome.

It also cannot spread over non solid blocks like fences, glass, torches etc.
Fibrous taint that covers 3 sides of dirt and wood blocks will convert those blocks to tainted dirt and encrusted taint blocks.
Fibrous taint can only spread to adjacent blocks horizontally, but can jump up to 2 block vertically - so the roof of a underground facility in a tainted lands biome needs to be 3 block thick (and those blocks can't be dirt or they will (probably) eventually become tainted).

Reactions: Linda Hartlen

rungok

Jul 29, 2019
If you have the Technomancy mod, it has the Node Fabricator that requires large amount of RF, Auram & Viteum essentia to create nodes. By feed the node fabricator an overwhelming amount of essentia before hitting it with the wand will result in a hungry node 9 out of 10 tries.

Do it far away from things you would like to conserve.
This server doesn't have technomancy, sadly. Ae2 integration would have been awesome.

rungok

Jul 29, 2019

Principally there is the tainted lands biome - this is actually quite innocuous - it does not spread by itself, mostly acts like a magical biome - it does however allow fibrous taint to grow and will corrupt (taint) any nodes that occur in it.

fibrous taint - grows over the surface of solid blocks in tainted lands biomes. fibrous taint is NOT spontaneously created in tainted lands biome - it must spread from existing fibrous taint. (tainted dirt and crusted taint blocks act like blocks with fibrous taint), The only things that create new fibrous taint are - tainted sheep grazing - tainted creepers exploding, tainted nodes, extremely large quantities of flux goo, and the primal focus. And, of course, bottled taint.

If you manually remove all fibrous taint (including any crusted taint or tainted dirt blocks) and none of the other things are present, fibrous taint will stop spreading / spawning.

Fibrous taint cannot survive outside tainted lands biome but when it reaches the edge it will - extremely slowley - grow the tainted lands biome.

It also cannot spread over non solid blocks like fences, glass, torches etc.
Fibrous taint that covers 3 sides of dirt and wood blocks will convert those blocks to tainted dirt and encrusted taint blocks.
Fibrous taint can only spread to adjacent blocks horizontally, but can jump up to 2 block vertically - so the roof of a underground facility in a tainted lands biome needs to be 3 block thick (and those blocks can't be dirt or they will (probably) eventually become tainted).
Thanks for the detailed information! :) I'll keep it in mind when trying to build an outpost in a tainted biome.

Should i worry if theres a magic and tainted biome next to each other?

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the detailed information! :) I'll keep it in mind when trying to build an outpost in a tainted biome.

Should i worry if theres a magic and tainted biome next to each other?

Worry about what? Fibrous taint wont spread into magical biome any faster than any other biome - the only biome it can spread in naturally is tainted lands. Given long enough - any non pure nodes are at jeopardy of becoming tainted when the tainted lands reaches them. The pure nodes will of course prevent the tainted lands biome encroaching on their immediate (15x15) area.

Gamefury64

Jul 29, 2019
Alright. So you need to get yourself lots of EBs. Place a scarce perimeter around the first tainted blocks. Once the have pushed it back, repat with new borders. YOU NEED TO DESTROY/RELOCATE THE TAINTED NODE! This means that you can drain it, destroy it, and you wont lose too much vis. I tested this on an eerie biome and it worked. You also need to kill ALL tainted monsters. A few thaumcraft golems set ti guard. My pesonal choice is ICBM laser turrets linked to tesseracts. This will stop more taint.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com

Extremely well said. I did some experiments in 1.6.4 and it's really only the tainted tendrils, animals and goo you need to worry about. You can do a quick cleanup of tendrils using water buckets, but a permanent one requires etherial blooms.

J

Jwalbrecht2000

Guys, Biome Wands; You can change the taint biome back to what it was before it spread.

I just used it on the taint biome that was really close to my base, and it even got rid of the taint tendrils and tainted soil and grass is growing back. (TC4, 1.7.10)

However, the crusted taint and flux aren't gone yet, so there is manual labor involved, sadly.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
But taint works a tad differently in 1.7.10 it doesn't spread with the same speed and doesn't spawn in little random patches. Even moreso in 1.8.9 which is right around the corner.

I guess the solution is still kinda viable.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I have moved to TC5 in 1.8.9 :p
And controlling taint is still, largely, about restricting the spread of the tainted lands biome.