Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
(I hope this doesn't count as discussing with a moderator :p)
I was thinking of something like that, for example as a part of a launcher. However, that would invite a billion people that doesn't even know how to open a text file, and they would touch dangerous config options without knowing what they're doing. They would then go to the modder and complain if their id changes corrupted the world or something.

You can discuss things with moderators. You can even argue loudly with them. But not about there formal jugments in regards to forum rules. Even then they probably won't get to upset. If you go to far they will drop you a PM and let you know it.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
If you find those files intimidating you probably shouldn't mess with them. And a GUI wouldn't help much. But it would be nice to see a 3rd party program with such a function.

There is a free program called notepad++ that is helpful in making the configs a bit easier to swallow. I'd recommended trying that. The default notepad or normal text editor holds you back much more than you might think. And this is the program that many of the configs were written on in the first place. So it really helps a lot. It won't make you into a code saint/god but it will help.
/me looks at atom
I mean it even has minetweaker syntax highlighting courtesy of @SatanicSanta

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
All I have to say is that I cannot edit a gui config with either Vim or Emacs so I my workflow suffers.... :p
Naw, I do like Flipz's idea, I don't think it could be completely independent of the program though.

workflow.png

Assuming the mod follows what appears to be the Forge config standard, it shouldn't be too hard to write a program that'd allow you to easily index and edit your configs for a given instance.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
The perfect solution would just have the GUI edit and parse the actual config files. This would allow someone like @VapourDrive to edit with a text editor and someone else to use the GUI. On top of this I would like to point out that the game could do a soft restart for in-game config editing. For example, reloading that ID in all worlds to match the current ID (if in 1.6 or lower). Then reloading those blocks. To make this easier it could reload everything from a mod that had its config changed. The one problem with this is that currently mods don't register things with their modname to the GameRegistry. IMO their should be a way to do this and it should be the standard because it would make Forge and some mod stuff more powerful

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
If you find those files intimidating you probably shouldn't mess with them. And a GUI wouldn't help much. But it would be nice to see a 3rd party program with such a function.

There is a free program called notepad++ that is helpful in making the configs a bit easier to swallow. I'd recommended trying that. The default notepad or normal text editor holds you back much more than you might think. And this is the program that many of the configs were written on in the first place. So it really helps a lot. It won't make you into a code saint/god but it will help.

I'm personally fine with configs, but I've seen ALL kinds of people asking for help on the forums who have called the existing config files intimidating. :p

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
(I hope this doesn't count as discussing with a moderator :p)
You can discuss things with moderators. You can even argue loudly with them. But not about there formal jugments in regards to forum rules. Even then they probably won't get to upset. If you go to far they will drop you a PM and let you know it.

Basically, what NJM said. :) As long as you don't see this color and formatting, it's just my own personal opinion. I also generally try to say things like "my own two cents" or "my personal opinion", just to make it clear that I'm not using my moderator voice. ;)

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I'm glad that FML has a standard format for config files. Without that we would have files all over the place with all different syntaxes and stuff.

But then again this format is not suited for inputting more complex stuff - that's why EnderIO uses XML files for its recipes and CoFH core has JSON files for the oregen. They both also use the standard config format though.

Reactions: Strikingwolf

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
He's doing something differant. Someone get the tar and pitchforks. And for bobs sake keep the torches away from the tar this time.
Using Java (or any programming language) for something else than Minecraft mods? Heresy! :p

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
If your mod has a nicely laid out config file it's super easy to use. I spent a lot of time on the configs for attained drops and I like how it turned out a lot. Clearly saying what a variable does, providing text that says what the default is, and explaining what range you have are important things. Also using the custom config type provides the potential for a lot more power in the hands of the dev.

Reactions: Strikingwolf

Claycorp

Jul 29, 2019
I just want to point out some things over the last few pages and give my opinions on them.

1. Configs are necessary. If you don't supply configs or ever support configs expect your mod to be replaced by something else.

2. Many devs don't provide adequate information for their configs. Its like the whole wiki issue between users and devs. (This has improved over the last year and the GUI system improves it further.)

3. People who use XML, JSON or other formats are using something thats a standard structure and you can find editors online that will help you. 99% of the time this is needed because of complexity but still can have a GUI based system for input because of the standard format. We do this with Pay2Spawn and it works great because it will not accept incorrect formatting and it also has simple and complex editing allowing the user to go as deep as they wish.

If all mods used these nice features and documented things we wouldn't be talking about this at all right now but theres always someone that might forget something (Including I). Thus its important that we help eachother out and point out these systems and where improvement can be made. Innovation is key to surviving in the modded world these days.

About the external editor.
There may be something in the near future that might change this coming from us as you gave me an idea for some existing projects... No guarantees though!

jaquadro

Jul 29, 2019
Just my own two cents here, but wouldn't it be a good idea to create some sort of GUI that can be launched external to Minecraft that could edit the configs? That way, the configs could be changed before the game is loaded at all, and thus could take effect as soon as the game is launched--BUT by being in a GUI, it wouldn't be as intimidating as file browsing and text configs to the common user.
One of the benefits of the in-game config is you have an initialized Forge environment with all the mods loaded. You can use that data to make some of the config editing easier for the user, such as picking valid blocks for a config entry. It's not totally fool proof, but some mods already do this.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Some people have a title that is the mod they make. Most don't..
Also i don't think you guys want to see 14 mods and our projects (Plus some other stuff we have coming) showing up on my name.

Clay corp
Maker of
This mod
That mod
And others.

Seriously even over productive devs like you have one or two mods that are more likly to get recognized by than the rest.