TiC Crossbow number crunching

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Okay, so the beta versions are out that have the new longbows and crossbows that are really amazing. So, just how amazing are they? What are the stats materials? What comes out to the best 'bang for your buck'? Well, I'm here to help you find your answer to that question.

As always, Where you lie on the sliding scale of speed to power is up to you, however I will provide you the numbers you need to make that determination. These numbers generated from the latest TiCTooltips build.

These days, it seems like projectile damage is a factor of projectile speed, so we're going to be looking at reload time versus projectile speed. Obviously, some materials are better than others. Which is the best? Well, here are some contenders:

The primary determination for the performance of the crossbow is going to be the Crossbow Limb. The Crossbow Stock acts primarily as the 'handle' for the mod, so any handle modifiers would apply, as well as any material modifiers. For this reason, I feel that Thaumium is one of the best materials to make the stock out of, but YMMV. Just remember, Stock = Handle. Binding is just like any other binding, it has no effect other than material modifier, so just use paper for the extra modifier.

Here's an abbreviated list of draw speed, arrow speed, and ratio of Arrow Speed / Draw Speed for some materials:

Blue Slime: Draw Speed 1.05, Arrow Speed 4, Ratio: 3.80
Green Slime: Draw Speed 1.4, Arrow Speed 4.2, Ratio: 3.0
Thaumium: Draw Speed: 1.75, Arrow Speed 4.75, Ratio: 2.71
Manyullen: Draw Speed: 2.5, Arrow Speed 5 Ratio: 2.00
Cobalt: Draw Speed 2.25, Arrow Speed 5.3, Ratio: 2.35
Ardite: Draw Speed: 2.75, Arrow Speed 4.9, Ratio: 1.78
Steel: Draw Speed: 3, Arrow Speed 5.5, Ratio: 1.83
Iron: Draw Speed 2.7, Arrow Speed 5.2, Ratio: 1.92
Paper: Draw Speed 0.5, Arrow Speed 1.1 Ratio: 2.2

So, as you can see, there's a pretty steep tradeoff when you start wanting to max out your arrow speed. If you want the absolute number one best arrow speed, it's going to be Steel. Using Slime, however, can make a 'rapid fire' crossbow, and while it doesn't do quite as much damage, still packs a punch against unarmored or lightly armored targets. Cobalt seems like a decent tradeoff of draw speed for arrow speed. Then there's the spread between the two extremes. I didn't bother listing materials that are just plain bad (like flint or stone).

Now there's the question of which bowstring to use. There's three options: string, enchanted fabric, and fiery.

Basic string is basic. It's got 1's across the board, and easy to get.
Enchanted Fabric has a Draw Speed of only 0.8, but it also only has an arrow speed of 0.9. It also carries the Stonebound quality. It also provides an extra modifier, so there's that.
Fiery comes from Flamestring from the Natura Heatscar Spiders in the Nether. It increases draw speed by 1.1, increases the arrow speed by 1.2, and increases durability by 1.2

Basically, Enchanted Fabric has an extra modifier which is pretty huge, but if you want something that is just going to punch through anything, use Fiery. Unlike virtually anywhere else, this is actually a serious tradeoff. How serious? Let's experiment!

Let's try out a Steel crossbow arm for the maximum numbers. So, thaumic stock + Paper binding will be the defaults on all experiments:

Steel arm + Enchanted Fabric : Draw Speed 4.5, Arrow Speed 7.42 and 6 modifiers
Steel arm + Fiery bowstring : Draw Speed 6.15, Arrow Speed 9.9 and 5 modifiers

And the actual differences in damage output?

Steel Arm + Enchanted Fabric + Steel shaft bolt: 14.71 unarmored, 7.11 against full diamond armor
Steel Arm + Enchanted Fabric + Alumite shaft bolt: 14.71 unarmored, 4.83 against full diamond armor
Steel arm + Fiery Fabric + Steel shaft bolt: 19.61 unarmored, 8.09 against full diamond armor
Steel Arm + Fiery Fabric + Alumite shaft bolt: 19.61 unarmored, 6.23 against full diamond armor

That's... actually a pretty significant damage boost there. Is it enough to be worth it for you? Well, that's for you to decide for yourself.

Cobalt Arm + Enchanted Bowstring = Draw Speed 3.35, Arrow Speed 7.15 and 6 modifiers
Cobalt Arm + Fiery Bowstring = Draw Speed 4.55, Arrow Speed 9.94 and 5 modifiers

Does that actually change the damage output? Not really.

Green Slime + Enchanted = Draw Speed 2.05, Arrow Speed 5.67
Green Slime + Fiery = Draw Speed 2.8, Arrow Speed 7.56

Green Slime arm + Fiery bowstring does about as much damage as cobalt/steel with enchanted, but significantly faster.

Nuts about Bolts

Projectile damage is based on head material, so Many is going to be your absolute top-tier best material to use. Even better, because of how ammunition is calculated based on durability, you can spend a Modifier on Mossy for regen. I don't think Flux works with ammo, at least I've never been able to get it to work. Which means you can also repair your ammo, even if it reaches zero. Which means you can afford to dump tons of nether quartz for sharpness on it.

Projectile weight gives you armor penetration, so it only really shows up against heavily armored opponents. Really, there's not much reason to not weigh down your bolts. So Steel seems to take the cake for the tool rod of choice. Too bad it won't accept Thaumium tool rods, starting off with only two modifiers really sucks. Since this is actually where your damage comes from, Stonebound is actively BAD, so you want to avoid Ardite.

As comparison, I set up two test dummies, one unarmored and one with full unenchanted diamond armor and started plunking away with the same bow. The bow I used was a slime crossbow limb, with fiery bowstring, and thaumium stock. I used two different rods, one with Alumite that had a weight of 3.9 and one that was Steel with a weight of 7.65.

The damage they both did to the unarmored dummy was the same, around 15. However, against the full diamond armor dummy, the alumite did around 4-5 whereas the steel was consistently doing around 7.

Slime leaf fletching is, bar none, the best all around. Jagged means as your quiver runs dry, you will be doing more damage. But it's the 1.4x durability that really shines here. Leaf fletching is actively bad, having the worst durability modifier and having Stonebound. Slime fletching has a .8X durability, whereas feather is 1.0x. If you can get slime leaf fletching, do it. Fortunately, you only need the one for your ammo.

So, best all-around bolt is slime leaf fletching + steel rod + Many head.

Pimp This Crossbow

Of course, no one in their right mind is going to just run around with an un-augmented crossbow. That's just silly! One modifier should probably be Flux/Electric/Mossy, depending on the other mods involved. But what about the rest of them? Well, as with any other projectile weapon, speed is king. Which means Redstone is your best bang for your buck. Furthermore, with a Paper Binding and a Thaumium Stock, you can start off with a total of 5 modifiers before tacking on gold, diamonds, notch apples, and nether stars. With the enchanted bowstring, you can have six. But what does all that redstone net you? Let's find out.

All crossbows made with thaumium stock and paper binding.

Steel Arm + Enchanted Bowstring no mods = Draw Speed 4.5
Steel Arm + Enchanted Bowstring + max redstone (6) = Draw Speed 2.4, Arrow Speed 7.42
Steel Arm + Fiery Bowstring no mods = Draw Speed 6.15
Steel Arm + Fiery Bowstring + Max Redstone (5) = Draw Speed 4.4, Arrow Speed 9.9
Cobalt Arm + Enchanted Bowstring + no mods = Draw Speed 3.35
Cobalt Arm + Enchanted Bowstring + max redstone = Draw Speed 1.25, Arrow Speed 7.15
Cobalt Arm + Fiery Bowstring no mods = Draw Speed 4.55
Cobalt Arm + Fiery Bowstring + Max Redstone = Draw Speed 2.8, Arrow Speed 9.54

So basically, 6 mods of redstone reduces Draw Speed by 2.1, and 5 mods reduces draw speed by 1.75

Now, let's look at that a second. Green Slime arm + fiery bowstring has a Draw Speed of only 2.8 but an Arrow Speed of 7.56. Steel + Enchanted has a base speed of 4.5 and arrow speed of 7.42. Looks like Slime + Fiery is decidedly superior to Steel + Enchanted, even with one less modifier. In fact, 2.8-1.75 = 1.05 draw speed. Now we're getting somewhere!

If you use Thaumium for the Stock and a Paper binding, then a Thaumium arm adds no additional modifiers, so there's not much point.

So, let's look at enchanting the bolts, shall we?

Bolts only start off with 2 enchantment slots, cannot have Thaumium or paper as a tool part, so that's pretty much what you are stuck with. So, how does this affect damage? I'm glad you asked. I will be comparing two different crossbows here, the green slime arm/fiery bowstring and the cobalt arm/fiery bowstring. The former goes faster and does the same damage of the enchanted bowstring on cobalt/steel, the latter does more damage. I will also be testing with bolts that are slime leaf fletching/steel rod/many head.

With 2 modifiers of quartz, 96 in total, here's what I get:

Green Slime crossbow: Unarmored: 34 damage, Full diamond armor: 10.92
Cobalt crossbow: Unarmored: 42.93, Full diamond armor: 12.76

Now, we can get still more modifiers on there if we really want to. Let's say you go whole hog and get the gold block + diamond, nether star, and the diamond block + notch apple for an additional three modifiers, what does that get us?

If you want to save a modifier for Mossy, you've got 4 modifiers worth or a total of 192 quartz. What does that get us?

Slime crossbow: 48.74 damage unarmored, 13.91 against armored
Cobalt crossbow: 62 damage unarmored, 16.46 against armored

And finally if we just want to spend the Many to repair manually, what does all five get us?

Slime Crossbow: 56.19 unarmored, 15.41 armored
Cobalt Crossbow: 70.88 unarmored, 18.35 armored

In Conclusion

Slime + Fiery bowstring seems to be the best 'bang for your buck, dishing out decisive damage at a rapid rate. You can get the reload speed down to .5 if you want to spend the extra modifiers, so even if it doesn't kill something in one hit, you have time to reload. Anything unarmored is going to be dead in one shot unless it's a boss type monster, anything with armor may need two shots, depending on what it is decked out in. In my experience, the only time I need two shots is if something is in full diamond. But, if you just want those maximum damage numbers, Cobalt or Steel is your friend.

Enchanted Bowstring turned out to be not as useful as originally thought, due to Slime + Fiery having the same damage output as Enchanted + Steel/Cobalt and a much faster rate of fire. The extra modifier on a projectile weapon really doesn't do much since the only thing you really want is more speed, and the tradeoff damage potential is actually significant.

Again, these are the numbers that I have discerned with testing and looking at the numbers in NEI using TiCTooltips, and the conclusions I've come up with as a result. I rather like my rapid-fire slime crossbow, personally. It's really good at taking down crowds at range. It's also really good at bringing the pain to ranged opponents really fast, took down the ender dragon like nothing and the wither halfway quite easily. You can press and hold right-click to fire as soon as you reload, which makes it easier to handle than a longbow.

Last edited:

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Nice test! I think its worth mentioning that:
  • Damage: Steel == Manyullin
  • Weight: Steel > Manyullin
  • Durability: Steel < Manyullin
This results in steel bolts coated with steel as actually being better damage wise then coated with manyullin. (At a loss of durability.)

Also worth mentioning is that bolts are repaired by the material used to coat the tool rod. So if I take a manyullin tool rod and coat it with steel, the repair material is steel. This matters because, IMO, moss is reaaaaaly slow. And as you pointed out we cant get alot of modifiers. Because of that I actually prefer a steel coated manyullin tool rod. I also havent had a single set of bolts take on the stonebound trait whenever I put a normal leaf fletching on it (possible bug?). Wich makes for a set of bolts that has 469 ammo and is repaired with steel. And because I am not using mossy I get a bit more damage because of more quartz.

As for the crossbow itself, I think its worth noting that the maximum draw speed is 0.25. Every 10 redstone seems to reduce the drawspeed by 0.05. Its also worth noting that arrow speed increases damage done. Therefor it becomes a balance act to find the fastest draw speed with the highest arrow speed. Ofcourse, there are different things you can aim for. Maximum DPS uses maximum draw speed. Maximum damage per shot has a realy low draw speed.

Last edited:

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Nice test! I think its worth mentioning that:
  • Damage: Steel == Manyullin
  • Weight: Steel > Manyullin
  • Durability: Steel < Manyullin
This results in steel bolts coated with steel as actually being better damage wise then coated with manyullin. (At a loss of durability.)

Also worth mentioning is that bolts are repaired by the material used to coat the tool rod. So if I take a manyullin tool rod and coat it with steel, the repair material is steel. This matters because, IMO, moss is reaaaaaly slow. And as you pointed out we cant get alot of modifiers. Because of that I actually prefer a steel coated manyullin tool rod. I also havent had a single set of bolts take on the stonebound trait whenever I put a normal leaf fletching on it (possible bug?). Wich makes for a set of bolts that has 469 ammo and is repaired with steel. And because I am not using mossy I get a bit more damage because of more quartz.

As for the crossbow itself, I think its worth noting that the maximum draw speed is 0.25. Every 10 redstone seems to reduce the drawspeed by 0.05. Its also worth noting that arrow speed increases damage done. Therefor it becomes a balance act to find the fastest draw speed with the highest arrow speed. Ofcourse, there are different things you can aim for. Maximum DPS uses maximum draw speed. Maximum damage per shot has a realy low draw speed.
Well, whaddya know about that... I thought Many had a .5 base advantage over Steel. Looks like it doesn't.

The quiver size drops in half, which can be a factor, but you are absolutely correct that it doesn't impact damage. At least on unarmored targets. It actually increases damage on armored targets slightly due to the extra weight. The cobalt crossbow described above now does 20 damage per shot to full diamond armor.

CrouchingOcelot

Jul 29, 2019
The first crossbow I made seems to be pretty good.

Crossbow:
Plastic Crossbow Limb and Body (1s Draw + 4.2 Speed). Shiny Tough Binding. (Modifier: Dense, Whatever that means. Reinforced II). Flame Bowstring.
Bolts: Slime Rod (Manyullyn Coated) + Slime Fletching

A plastic bow grants no extra damage (actually, it penalizes damage by 1 point) but it has great draw speed which means fast reloads. Also plastic bow has low durability but that's not a concern at all with moss. The accuracy at range is phenomenal, with barely any arrow drop. The rated specs of a plastic crossbow are:

Draw: 2.05s
Speed. 7.56
Attack: 34 Hearts

The Bow itself has only Auto-Repair, and the Arrows have 96 Quartz (2 modifiers worth) and Auto-Repair. The Arrow Ratings are:

+9 Attack Damage
Weight: 2.58
Accuracy: 95%
Break Chance: 2%

The only downside of the bow is its extremely weak armor pen. I think it has to do with the light weight of the bolt and the slime rod it's made of.

Last edited:

Odovbold

Jul 29, 2019

Crossbow:
Plastic Crossbow Limb and Body (1s Draw + 4.2 Speed). Shiny Tough Binding. (Modifier: Dense, Whatever that means. Reinforced II). Flame Bowstring.

A plastic bow grants no extra damage (actually, it penalizes damage by 1 point) but it has great draw speed which means fast reloads. Also plastic bow has low durability but that's not a concern at all with moss. The accuracy at range is phenomenal, with barely any arrow drop. The rated specs of a plastic crossbow are:

Speed. 7.56

The Bow itself has only Auto-Repair, and the Arrows have 96 Quartz (2 modifiers worth) and Auto-Repair. The Arrow Ratings are:

+9 Attack Damage

The only downside of the bow is its extremely weak armor pen. I think it has to do with the light weight of the bolt and the slime rod it's made of.
Why not using manymany instead of slime as bolt rod? I don't see slime rod's benefits here.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
The Dense modifier is the same as the Shiny armor debuff, I believe. Basically, you get a reduction in walking speed based on the percentage it lists.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always

Crossbow:

Speed. 7.56

+9 Attack Damage

Last time I tried Plastic, it crashed me. Looks like Plastic is a very strong contender for a good crossbow limb, as it has the same speed as green slime and faster draw. However, I'd have used paper binding for the extra modifier and thaumium stock for the extra modifier.

Slime rod gives you absolutely zero benefit, it only hurts your armor penetration. Go with steel on both head and shaft. You won't be disappointed.

CrouchingOcelot

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldnt say the light shafts confer absolutely zero benefit. The light weight of the rod means that you don't have to compensate for arrow drop very much at all, at range. The only downside is the really bad armor pen. Armor pen doesnt matter at all for some mobs, like the wither for example which can die in about 7 hits.

I did however test out steel shafted crossbow bolts and the stats on those are basically the same, except for weight (MUCH heavier, at 9 weight with 2 modifiers of quartz) and non-important changes to ammo count, break chance and accuracy.

However, the armor pen on steel shafted bolts is faaaantastic. I one shotted a skeleton with full iron armor whereas before it mightve done like 5 points of damage.

The weight however makes the arrows drop 4 times as much meaning you have to compensate that much when shooting at long distances. It resembles a vanilla bow in how high you need to aim to hit a target at range.

Overall, i'd say steel bolts are better and the weight/leading is a very good tradeoff for the armor pen that they get. So thanks, and cheers.

Last edited:

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I used;

Plastic Crossbow Limb
Plastic Crossbow Body
Paper Binding (Since it doesn't affect anything from what I see and gave me one more modifier, why not?)
Normal String Bowstring (I have not yet found Flamestring in my playthrough)
I threw on two more modifier addons, Diamond + Gold Block and Golden Block Apple + Diamond Block.
Then I added one Ball of Moss, one Lapis and Redstone it all the way.

As for the bolts, I had a Manyullyn tool rod with Steel Head with Slime Leaf Fletching.
Same as above, added two more modifier addons, one ball of moss and quartz it to hell and back.

It now fires like a freaking HMG and hits like a .50 round. I had Wither go into it's anti-ranged shell with one shot.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I used;

Plastic Crossbow Limb
Plastic Crossbow Body
Paper Binding (Since it doesn't affect anything from what I see and gave me one more modifier, why not?)
Normal String Bowstring (I have not yet found Flamestring in my playthrough)
I threw on two more modifier addons, Diamond + Gold Block and Golden Block Apple + Diamond Block.
Then I added one Ball of Moss, one Lapis and Redstone it all the way.

As for the bolts, I had a Manyullyn tool rod with Steel Head with Slime Leaf Fletching.
Same as above, added two more modifier addons, one ball of moss and quartz it to hell and back.

It now fires like a freaking HMG and hits like a .50 round. I had Wither go into it's anti-ranged shell with one shot.
Flamestring is from the Heatscar Spiders in the Nether, if you have Natura. I'd suggest dipping into Thaumcraft enough to make some Thaumium, it makes an excellent Crossbow Body.

Personally, I don't use Lapis on my crossbow, but since .5 is the fastest you can get, there's not much else TO put on it. I tend to use Flux rather than Moss, but either works.

I like using Steel bolts because they do the same as Many, and is significantly easier to obtain. Also, if you use IguanaTweaks, with the option to repair in inventory, you can just carry around some steel ingots and repair ammo as necessary. I just look at it as saying my ingots are quivers of bolts that stack with itself.

Also, don't forget you can add modifiers to your bolts for more damage!

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
So, I'm planning on making a Hunting Crossbow (looting for mob drops). Should my lapis be on my crossbow, the bolts, or can I mix and match?

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
If anywhere I think it'd have to go on the crossbow, but I hear it's fairly unreliable using Luck on a crossbow (although honestly, when you got Moss/Flux + sufficent Redstone for a fast enough draw speed for what you want, there really isn't much else to add.)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
If anywhere I think it'd have to go on the crossbow, but I hear it's fairly unreliable using Luck on a crossbow (although honestly, when you got Moss/Flux + sufficent Redstone for a fast enough draw speed for what you want, there really isn't much else to add.)
Maybe Knockback in case something jumps you, so you can whack them backwards then shoot them. It won't hurt them, but at least the knockback will keep them at a distance.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
I came to the same conclusion and IMO, its a good thing. Makes us look at the other modifiers.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Isn't it worth to put these on ammo?
Smite, Bane of arthropods, Additional modifiers, Necrotic (if it works on ammo), Fiery, Looting.
Smite and Bane of crapthropods don't work either. Necrotic doesn't work on ammo, only on melee weapons, and doesn't work on undead any more which is most of what you are shooting at. Fiery and Looting are the only two things that might possibly be worth it, but the worth is very marginal indeed.

Let's face it, looting is not worth bothering with, because nothing really drops something you can't have being farmed easier. And fiery can be actively dangerous if you ignite a zombie who then lights you on fire in turn.

RXD

Jul 29, 2019
Smite and Bane of crapthropods don't work either. Necrotic doesn't work on ammo, only on melee weapons, and doesn't work on undead any more which is most of what you are shooting at. Fiery and Looting are the only two things that might possibly be worth it, but the worth is very marginal indeed.

Let's face it, looting is not worth bothering with, because nothing really drops something you can't have being farmed easier. And fiery can be actively dangerous if you ignite a zombie who then lights you on fire in turn.
I was wondering why my smite bolts dealt less damage than quartz bolts, should've read this topic earlier. Now I will only add Mossy and Emerald/Diamond for extra ammo.