Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
I spoke to the author of Beacon because the way he had set it up requires a PR needing to be made to his repo every single time a version changes for any of the mods he wants to be detected.

There is a discussion on his github about an alternative solution but for now it's only got 7 mods that it autodetects.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
For posts in the Whats New thread, if your post is going to be extremely massive, I don't care how pretty the stream of high res pictures are or whatnot, it would be highly considerate if you throw stuff in a spoiler :)

I think it would be more considerate to not criticize someone who is taking the time and effort to read through all the tweets and doing all the copying to make the massive posts.
Especially as it is much more interesting to look at the picture than read a mass of text. And for my consideration I'm thinking it is far less a hassle to look at pretty pictures when you do not have to open the spoiler tab each time.

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
I think it would be more considerate to not criticize someone who is taking the time and effort to read through all the tweets and doing all the copying to make the massive posts.
Especially as it is much more interesting to look at the picture than read a mass of text. And for my consideration I'm thinking it is far less a hassle to look at pretty pictures when you do not have to open the spoiler tab each time.
I think it is better to have the option of taking one second to click on the spoiler tab rather than making everyone have to scroll through your images.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

The load time on some of those pages when there are dozens are images begins to become absurd. I'd rather go out of my way to click a spoiler than deal with my screen constantly shifting due to non-stop image loading.

Reactions: 1SDAN and CoolSquid

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I think it is better to have the option of taking one second to click on the spoiler tab rather than making everyone have to scroll through your images.

We have bin known to get up to 5 pages of nothing but text a day. I fail so see what difference even a dozen interesting images posted on a slow day makes compared to that.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
We have bin known to get up to 5 pages of nothing but text a day. I fail so see what difference even a dozen interesting images posted on a slow day makes compared to that.

Again, as I said earlier, it's load times. Many of us load via mobile, and when we do, the page scrolls up and down for minutes at a time when there are a large amount of images. Spoilers prevents that, and allows us to view it if we're interested.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Again, as I said earlier, it's load times. Many of us load via mobile, and when we do, the page scrolls up and down for minutes at a time when there are a large amount of images. Spoilers prevents that, and allows us to view it if we're interested.
While I agree with you there, I have to say that some pictures are better left unspoiled:
ernie-how-do-i-look.jpg

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry if it came of as criticism, I truly do appreciate the effort that goes into collecting tweets and imgur links etc. For the most part it saves my data and sanity while on my phone, when a wall of text would be preferred. It was merely a suggestion and I don't think it's hassle at all if groups of pictures are wrapped under one spoiler.

Reactions: Yulife

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019

I have never had this problem =P

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Well I was going to post this
Sorry if it came of as criticism, I truly do appreciate the effort that goes into collecting tweets and imgur links etc. For the most part it saves my data and sanity while on my phone, when a wall of text would be preferred. It was merely a suggestion and I don't think it's hassle at all if groups of pictures are wrapped under one spoiler.

Well I was going to post this.
"Oh well considering many can't even afford one of those things let me replay with this.
1242225474_attempting_to_give_a_damn.gif

Seriously I'm not obliged to post squat. And what I post I'll post in what ever format I want.
"

But as you do actually care let me mention that what you suggested originally did not sound like post them all under one spoiler but make a spoiler tag for each and every image individually. And for a dozen or more images that quickly becomes a nuisance.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Loading from a tablet typically doesn't do it, but if I load from my phone, it goes nuts. Wish I knew why.
I think It has to do with the with of the text that can displayed on the phone's screen. Win a line of text suddenly becomes 3 do to with limitations there are issues.

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Loading from a tablet typically doesn't do it, but if I load from my phone, it goes nuts. Wish I knew why.
I had an HTC evo 4g (about years old) recently (battery doesn't hold a charge anymore so I don't use it) and it still didn't do that. Course I only used tapatalk on my phone

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I think It has to do with the with of the text that can displayed on the phone. Win a line of text suddenly becomes 3 do to with limitations there are issues.

Text doesn't do it though, it's only images / GIFs. I really have no idea, but meh.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Text doesn't do it though, it's only images / GIFs. I really have no idea, but meh.
Then it must be loading the data slowly. Text coming way befor the images. I think it used to do that back when I had dial up. Shivers. A dark dark time.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Then it must be loading the data slowly. Text coming way befor the images. I think it used to do that back when I had dial up. Shivers. A dark dark time.

Indeed. It seems like it loads one image at a time, but it shifts the entire view to try to adjust. As you can imagine, that happening with multiple images is both annoying and sickening at times. :p

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer quoted images, allows you to see what it is. And if you realy want a closer look, you can click on them to enlarge. Spoilers are meh and realy only serve as just that, a spoiler warning.