Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Claycorp

Jul 29, 2019
I don't expect it from users either.

When i got into this whole thing i knew practically nothing. I spent lots of time teaching myself how to handle things and how to do it properly. I was also accompanied by Dries007 (and others) who knew more than i and quite often picked their brains about all sorts of things.
As someone who has gone from nothing to what i know now i felt the pains and would never expect anything more of what i expect of myself at that time. Much of this includes helping people understand concepts they don't. If thats how to read a crash report or run a server so be it but i don't expect you to never come to me and ask questions after something new arises.

Teaching better behaviors into the people that are willing to listen will help improve the community as a whole. At times people do snap (Like i did with ProjectE and the new dev) but i learned something from it. In the case of ProjectE thats to make sure the new developer walking into an existing project knows as much as i do and that they are welcome to come back to me to make sure they do understand everything i do and that its still my project until that condition is met.

This is something i stand by almost religiously. Users, Developers and Content makers are all equal. Some know more than others in each others speciality but might need a boost here or there and they should not be smacked for it as anyone willing to learn is willing to change. Sometimes it takes mistakes to learn and that should be expected.

TL: DR
Idea/Question/Mistake/Opinion -> Learning -> Applying what you learned to what you do -> Improved community.
I will not and do not make people afraid of contacting me about anything. It has a terrible stigma attached to it and makes you look like an ass to many people. If you can not handle it find someone you work with well to do it for you.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I don't want users to fear me, but if they're too lazy to read through a crash report, they can find another mod.
Why would people be fearing you? Squids are friendly creatures after all aren't they? :D
I think people would fear crash reports more. They won't bother reading it as the few crash reports they did read in the past might have had no useful information.

Claycorp

Jul 29, 2019
I LOL'ed at the school essay part XD I hated english and writing papers. (Thank god for spell check else my posts would be mostly nonsense!)

Sometimes you can indirectly help yourself by helping others :p Just keep that in mind.

Reactions: CoolSquid and ljfa

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Last edited:
Reactions: LivingAngryCheese

Claycorp

Jul 29, 2019
Let me see what I've done to make them read the crash report: I generate a file in the crash reports folder named: "README-I-AM-VERY-IMPORTANT.txt". Inside it says: "Read through crash reports before posting them "If you do not do this, you might be ignored, or in worst case banned for spamming."

See? You are already learning from what you do! Perhaps you can look back at how this 'strict rule' has affected people and morph that into something better.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I was more thinking of the length... I just can't write long texts. SquidUtils confighandler is twice as big as my essay from last exam.
Pointing out obvious facts and repeating yourself is basically all you have to do :D

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
As much as I too don't like the looks of 1.8 one bit, we will eventually need to update. There will always be people who will update to the newest version and make the rest of us look bad for not. At the end of the day no end user really cares about what happens behind the scenes or whether modding on the new version is ... pleasant. They want to play the latest version of minecraft with mods because... people like new stuff I guess. >.>

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
As much as I too don't like the looks of 1.8 one bit, we will eventually need to update. There will always be people who will update to the newest version and make the rest of us look bad for not. At the end of the day no end user really cares about what happens behind the scenes or whether modding on the new version is ... pleasant. They want to play the latest version of minecraft with mods because... people like new stuff I guess. >.>

The user's will want to move to 1.8. That is just the issue simply. If we don't, every week we will get bombarded with "why no 1.8?".

I also must bring up what the plan is if we don't do 1.8 and then 1.9 comes around and now it has super awesome features that makes everyone want to go over. Because we skipped 1.8, updating the mod requires updating it through both MC versions which might be quite daunting especially for very large mods.

I personally haven't tested out the rendering stuff that fry added to Forge so I can't really speak on whether I dislike 1.8 or not. But part of me thinks staying behind will not be beneficial to us.

Reactions: 1SDAN

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Facades for conduits for the upcoming Thermal Dynamics?

Mgie8WN.png

It's only proof-of-concept, but still!
What was that XKCD comic about competing standards... inb4 cofhcore includes a multipart implmentation :p
Although it would be nice to have one NOT written in scala.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
A simple PSA: Don't complain about something you saw in a video without testing it yourself. (Unless you want to prove you are the lowest of the low.)

GNTBf2s.png

Thats all have a nice day!

Source: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...bs-environmental-mobs-aggressive?comment=5330

soo uuh yeaa, this is a mod spotlight(?) for mod X by that guy, I think he's called Y. it adds these, uhmm, blocks, and they do like, stuff and things.
see, this block here, when you do this it'll do that, I don't know how or something, but it's pretty cool.
then there's also this item, it's really cool, I just cheated it in and look at what it does.

soo uuh yeaa, this was the mod spotlight for mod X, it's a pretty cool mod, if you liked this spotlight please like and subscribe and leave a comment.
if you want to support me you can directly donate to me or donate to me through these websites.
if you could mention me to your friends that would be awesome.
if you want to download the mod just click this adfly link, this way you'll be supporting me aswell.
you should also check out these other videos and spotlights I made, as they're really good and if you enjoyed this video you'll like those aswell, and it'd be really appreciated.

this was Z and thank you for watching, and as always have a great day.

Reactions: ljfa

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
soo uuh yeaa, this is a mod spotlight(?) for mod X by that guy, I think he's called Y. it adds these, uhmm, blocks, and they do like, stuff and things.
see, this block here, when you do this it'll do that, I don't know how or something, but it's pretty cool.
then there's also this item, it's really cool, I just cheated it in and look at what it does.

soo uuh yeaa, this was the mod spotlight for mod X, it's a pretty cool mod, if you liked this spotlight please like and subscribe and leave a comment.
if you want to support me you can directly donate to me or donate to me through these websites.
if you want to download the mod just click this adfly link, this way you'll be supporting me aswell.
you should also check out these other videos and spotlights I made, as they're really good and if you enjoyed this video you'll like those aswell, and it'd be really appreciated.

You forgot the 5 minutes at the start of the spotlight of random screaming, yelling, and ego stroking.

Any spotlights I have the misfortune to stumble across like that I turn off straight away.

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019

This sounds WAY too specific, who actually does this?

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Just adding a file in the crash report folder, that users don't know about, won't do a thing.

Heck, you can put in your crash report, the explicit lines "This is a config file problem. This is not a mod bug. Do not report this on the forum", and people will still report it, and even make guesses as to what you did wrong in your mod.

Reika alone gets this about twice a month, minimum.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
If they are including a crash report, they should be able to see files called something such as: "READ-ME!!!!!!!!".
You are assuming they are even going to try looking in the folder, some users wouldn't even know where their minecraft instance is saved. Especially if it's in a modpack.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
You are assuming they are even going to try looking in the folder, some users wouldn't even know where their minecraft instance is saved. Especially if it's in a modpack.
Some people include the logs (or maybe only the console output) instead of crash reports.