Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Claycorp

Jul 29, 2019
Meh... The advantages/Disadvantages are mostly equal for us.

My main concern is its a PITA to use. (From a posters standpoint)
It feels like they made it too generic when posing something new thus forcing you to post then edit for no apparent reason.
Formatting is utterly useless. (Broken, Lack of text features, No preview, Edit size is larger than 'live' size.)

I'd love to know why people are against it. Perhaps theres a side to things i don't know.

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
To me it's just another place to host downloads. I prefer old MediaFire, since I can keep everything online uploaded in one place, privately or publicly, without it needing to be a mod/map/resource pack. Just doesn't do anything for me.

Reactions: 1SDAN and Padfoote

Claycorp

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah that kinda makes sense to a point.
I do wish more people used curseforge as it does have one extremely useful benefit. Localizing everything to one post. Github? Linked. Issue list? Linked. That changelog 3 versions ago? Still there. Wiki? Also linked. No bullshit. No digging.

I think many devs seem to forget that there are people out there that look for these things but may never find them or can't help to there fullest because they don't exist and thus far in everything i have done having these options available has done everything but bite me back in the ass. People get too tied up with the kids begging for stuff and not focusing on the helpful things and more importantly having fun.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
CurseForge? You mean, the place that lets me get a mod, that is linked from the minecraft forums easily? You mean, the place where I can find a wiki link that is empty because the real wiki is elsewhere?

You mean, the impossible to use discussion "forum" that shows everything in the wrong order, that can't remember where I last read, and cannot give me a "here are the threads you pay attention to that have new messages" page?

You mean, the complicated pain when I try to download something?

You mean, the same editor that messes up my posts on the minecraft forums?

C

chbachman

CurseForge? You mean, the place that lets me get a mod, that is linked from the minecraft forums easily? You mean, the place where I can find a wiki link that is empty because the real wiki is elsewhere?

You mean, the impossible to use discussion "forum" that shows everything in the wrong order, that can't remember where I last read, and cannot give me a "here are the threads you pay attention to that have new messages" page?

You mean, the easy to use uploader, that can accept automatic uploads?

You mean, the Free hosting service?

You mean, one of the few places that mod makers get rewarded for downloads, and can still link through ad.fly?

You mean, the free Curse Premium that we get for hosting a few files?

Claycorp

Jul 29, 2019

Again. Its not a solve all solution I don't know why you lump things that developers need to do under what curseforge offers. If a dev sets up things like shit then point it out. If they don't care well then don't support them. Also i don't know how it makes it complicated to download things. I constantly am downloading mods and have zero issues. Click button get mod.

So ... Mod developers like it, and mod users don't?

Mod devs hate the same things the users do. Comments are useless, Editor is junk. Yet it still solves many inherent issues with people posting mods elsewhere. Improvement is needed though.

It's a great service. But it has a horrible editor and comment section.
If those two problems were fixed, it would be very, very good.

This is exactly what needs to be done but only one person saying something will not change it. If we really want things to change with some of it we need to show that. I have brought up multiple times problems with the site but i'm only one person. They only seem to notice my bugs and nothing else.

EDIT: Another thing i thought of was theres really no way to report bugs or submit issues other than messaging someone on twitter. (That i know of) They give us a solution but yet don't have a decent way to give feedback on said solution. Exactly one of the reasons curseforge came about.

Last edited:

Claycorp

Jul 29, 2019
A simple PSA: Don't complain about something you saw in a video without testing it yourself. (Unless you want to prove you are the lowest of the low.)

GNTBf2s.png

Thats all have a nice day!

Source: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...bs-environmental-mobs-aggressive?comment=5330

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Some people's videos are the worst for missinformation. I've had people make up features of my mod just because they assumed something work a certain way. People have claimed things to be broken just because they couldn't find enough patience in themselves to wait something out. "This doesn't currently work but hopefully the mod author will fix it and we'll get a stable release".
Super frustrating.

Reactions: 1SDAN and CoolSquid

Claycorp

Jul 29, 2019
Made me think of this...

iZqobxj.png

This is something i expect from a user not a dev. If you don't know that videos only exist at one point and time indefinitely along with the fact that many people don't update to every version created or are playing a pack. You should know better to take some time and investigate things on your own. Though this does have problems. Digging for links, issue reports and other information can be quite long when people don't fill out things properly or don't use these tools.