Should some mods just stop being updated in packs?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
How can he do that and get away with nothing but minor complaints but I had to explain several times - under an interrogation-like atmosphere, no less - for locking debug code to only run on my PC...
I guess there are a lot of silent majority who agrees with him? :D

I would disagree with you on warp, just like I know a lot of other people would. Warp is an annoyance, and with permanent warp you are getting stupid effects that get in the way while you are doing other stuff.
"Oh your out mining, here have ridiculous hunger debuffs" or "Oh, youre building up high? Lets have an Eldritch guardian here too"

I didn't say I like warp. I said I dislike some of the features in TC4, like (as in an example) warp.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I have other reasons to dislike MFR too.
Super annoying with oredictionary tooltips.
That isn't a reason to dislike MFR, that is a reason to dislike the mod author.

I try not to learn about the mod author before trying the mod, because a complete arsehole can make an amazing mod, but because the mod dev is a douche you then go "this mod isn't good". Whereas if it was made by someone such as yourself, then you would think the mod is great.

As for the tooltip, although it is annoying, I think it is perfectly fine (if it wasn't so long e.g. "Shut up greg" - because it screwed with NEI) just because Gregtech on loadup was a console spammer. And that to me is extremely annoying, especially when the server takes 5 minutes to load (with other mods) and you are being spammed with gregtech messages.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

I try not to learn about the mod author before trying the mod, because a complete arsehole can make an amazing mod, but because the mod dev is a douche you then go "this mod isn't good". Whereas if it was made by someone such as yourself, then you would think the mod is great.

As for the tooltip, although it is annoying, I think it is perfectly fine (if it wasn't so long e.g. "Shut up greg" - because it screwed with NEI) just because Gregtech on loadup was a console spammer. And that to me is extremely annoying, especially when the server takes 5 minutes to load (with other mods) and you are being spammed with gregtech messages.

I would rather see Greg flood the console with loading messages than not have any, as it lets me know my game didn't just freeze on me. The fact that the MFR code is still there is childish and a testament to how immature certain members of the modded MC community are.

To actually be on topic though, since it seems like all I do is post off-topic now, mods will update as the devs see fit. I'm fine with certain mods being frozen to a specific MC version (like BTW is) as it leads to a more stable mod, but that is heavily dependent on what the dev thinks is best for their mod and its balance. Past that, I have no right to say anything about how a mod should or should not update.

firebreaker2262

Jul 29, 2019

The main problem I found with greg doing that is it breaks down anything you have that runs on the ore dictionary (Unifier or filters such as ender IO)

The main reason I will cut down on mods however is it breaks my computer not the world. Lag spikes or excessive amounts of ram to run it. Main reason I won't play with mods like MagicCraft or Reika's mods. Though I do love the ore multiplication abilities of that mod.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
@jordsta95 do we really need a news flash every time you get a shower thought? :p

FZ has the awesome "pick-block-in-player-inventory" feature, as well as instant sprint, servos, etc.
If IC2 disappeared, Soaryn wouldn't have a hype point any more and would have to live in a tainted biome where the water is purple.
Oh, while we're at it, sombody disable BestModEver. That thing has become so obsoleted.

/s

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
@jordsta95 do we really need a news flash every time you get a shower thought? :p

FZ has the awesome "pick-block-in-player-inventory" feature, as well as instant sprint, servos, etc.
If IC2 disappeared, Soaryn wouldn't have a hype point any more and would have to live in a tainted biome where the water is purple.
Oh, while we're at it, sombody disable BestModEver. That thing has become so obsoleted.

/s
He could just update xycraft and make everything purple ;)
And this isn't a shower thought, it's actually something I talk about a fair bit, as it does seem to get at me more than it should...
If you wanted updates on my shower thoughts you'd be getting "why does cake, and bacon taste good, but cake and bacon taste terrible?"

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
And this isn't a shower thought, it's actually something I talk about a fair bit, as it does seem to get at me more than it should...
If you wanted updates on my shower thoughts you'd be getting "why does cake, and bacon taste good, but cake and bacon taste terrible?"
Try telling me this doesn't look delicious:

Bacon-cake-31.jpg

Reactions: MigukNamja

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
This is how threads get derailed :p
tl;dr No, mods shouldn't stop updating as long as the author still thinks they're worth it. Whether they fit into a certain pack is another story. I agree that Fz could be removed from the DW20 pack and I personally would do it in singleplayer.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
I would disagree with you on warp, just like I know a lot of other people would. Warp is an annoyance, and with permanent warp you are getting stupid effects that get in the way while you are doing other stuff.
"Oh your out mining, here have ridiculous hunger debuffs" or "Oh, youre building up high? Lets have an Eldritch guardian here too"
http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeas...crafts_newest_update_new_change_to_warp_best/
I'm personally looking forward to that.
As far as I know, IC2 is the only way to turn coal -> diamonds. So my mostly TE setup still has an IC2 macerator and compressor stuck on the end.
ProjectE ;)
http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/2sa0z3/is_it_really_dead/
The main problem I found with greg doing that is it breaks down anything you have that runs on the ore dictionary (Unifier or filters such as ender IO)
Auto-adding things to the Ore Dictionary is more useful than you would think. It's painful to go through every ingot manually and oredict it using Minetweaker, just so it will work in recipes like it's supposed to. I've had trouble with two different mod's Saltpeter not having the same Ore Dictionary entry, or having two mods not work together because one used Aluminium and another Aluminum, or even somehow having a certain sapling oredicted to diamonds (still not sure how or why that is there). But, when you run it through a unifier like this, generally all the troubles are solved, without any work on the Pack Creator's end.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeas...crafts_newest_update_new_change_to_warp_best/
I'm personally looking forward to that.

ProjectE ;)

http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/2sa0z3/is_it_really_dead/

Auto-adding things to the Ore Dictionary is more useful than you would think. It's painful to go through every ingot manually and oredict it using Minetweaker, just so it will work in recipes like it's supposed to. I've had trouble with two different mod's Saltpeter not having the same Ore Dictionary entry, or having two mods not work together because one used Aluminium and another Aluminum, or even somehow having a certain sapling oredicted to diamonds (still not sure how or why that is there). But, when you run it through a unifier like this, generally all the troubles are solved, without any work on the Pack Creator's end.
1) :D

2) I think he meant processing... but PneumaticCraft is still a valid answer ;)

3) :O

4) Although the oreDict is nice. It is a PITA for some mods that don't use the oreDict in their crafting. For example ProjectRed set's ruby (for example) to the oreDict "gemRuby" BUT it doesn't make it's tools require gemRuby it makes them require <projectRed:item:ruby> (or whatever it is)... so you mine a PR ruby, and GT unifies it, and you can no longer make anything in ProjectRed that requires rubies. It is a TERRIBLE idea to FORCE unification, I don't mind the entries, but to turn one thing into another it should HAVE to go through a unifier. Not get unified on inventory entrance (whether that be you craft it or mine it, etc.)
Also on the topic of unification, Gregtech automagically unifies HSLA steel into normal steel... which is both annoying and breaks reikas rules, right? Because if HSLA steel is added to the oreDict of steel, which is what GT does, then it sorta breaks progression (as you don't need the blast furnace anymore)

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Although the oreDict is nice. It is a PITA for some mods that don't use the oreDict in their crafting. For example ProjectRed set's ruby (for example) to the oreDict "gemRuby" BUT it doesn't make it's tools require gemRuby it makes them require <projectRed:item:ruby> (or whatever it is)... so you mine a PR ruby, and GT unifies it, and you can no longer make anything in ProjectRed that requires rubies. It is a TERRIBLE idea to FORCE unification,
That's not really GT's fault. It's Project Red's for not using Ore Dictionary in their recipes.
It is a TERRIBLE idea to FORCE unification,
Not forced, there's configs.
Also on the topic of unification, Gregtech automagically unifies HSLA steel into normal steel... which is both annoying and breaks reikas rules, right? Because if HSLA steel is added to the oreDict of steel, which is what GT does, then it sorta breaks progression (as you don't need the blast furnace anymore)
@Reika ? Does this break the rules?

Reactions: Padfoote

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
That's not really GT's fault. It's Project Red's for not using Ore Dictionary in their recipes.

This is why the HSLA steel OreDict is disabled if GT is installed. I am not sure that GT auto-ore-dicts HSLA; he may just be using the Monster configs that turned that option on.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019

Yes, but it shouldn't be a default. And mod authors shouldn't have to allow people to use other mod's <item> as it may break that mods progression.
For example if I make a mod and steel is a VERY late game item, used in very late game crafting recipes... but when you CAN make it, it's easy to produce, so I decide to add it to the oreDict so people can have a faster steel production than mods such as Railcraft.
So I force my endgame recipes to use <SteelAges:steel> and not <ore:ingotSteel> because otherwise people COULD use railcraft steel to get whatever it is the endgame item is. And forcing mods to use oreDictionaries is downright stupid.
I understand it's nice, but there should be an ingame option to unify. Not a config option, because there are people out there who don't know the first thing about configs, but they are just bunging all their favourite mods together, now that it is so easy in 1.7.
I may suggest something to Greg about this actually, a button that will show in the inventory (where the player thingy is maybe) that when pressed will unify the inventory. That way it isn't breaking certain mods

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
I'm quite baffled how PneumaticCraft is just thrown out there as replacing IC2 functionality, with the silent implication that PC is "better" than IC2 for some reason.
Isn't PneumaticCraft more involved to set up than IC2? (Breaking chambers, collecting enough annoying flowers to get plastic, automating the interfaces, setting up multiple chambers since the output filtering is strange
I'm not saying I wasn't enjoying setting up PC, it was a challenge and it has its rewards, but it's definitely up there, and not comparable with TE.

BTW, I also want to express how incredibly arrogant I find a statement like "Fz needs not be public anymore". Thank you for all your original ideas, neptune, now copied in other mods, but you may go and die now.