Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
But I think that's how they're stored on the disk. I don't know how chunk data is being stored in memory, but storing IDs and metadata as fully fledged 32 bit integers would severly increase the size of savefiles.
I agree it's suboptimal though.
That is...very unlikely. Unless they use some very precise compression methods that, again, make massive use of bitwise operators, then ints are stored on disk exactly as they are in memory.

Arrays have definite use.
Admittedly, that comes from my C++ days, where the quote (I forget from whom) that stuck with me the most was: "If you have char* anywhere in your code, you have a bug. std::vector exists for a reason."

(For the those who do not know of the glory that is C++, char* is also known as a C-string. Due to how C/C++ works, pointers, any data type followed by an asterisk, can work and be addressed exactly like arrays. However, due to the potential for mismanagement, the fact that C/C++ requires that you manage your own memory, and the fact that pointers are allocated on the heap instead of on the stack and thus must be deleted manually in code, pointers can lead to many, many problems such as memory leaks, which can also be potential security risks.)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I don't even know what a mutable field means, but the very name just sounds wrong on many levels.
Mutable as opposed to immutable - i.e. final. In other words, having an object that has properties that can be manipulated by other objects is bad programming.

It is one of the core concepts of OO programming.

I do not understand people who feel that using design features of a language is bad design, that a good programmer deliberately handicaps themselves by limiting their toolset, like when people say using automatic imports is bad form.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1SDAN

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
Mutable as opposed to immutable - i.e. final. In other words, having an object that has properties that can be manipulated by other objects is bad programming.
Any object can be changed, even if its final. According to him, everything is bad programming.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Any object can be changed, even if its final. According to him, everything is bad programming.
The only way to change a final field is with ASM or reflection, and these people have a really strong hatred of that; I nearly got kicked out of the Forge IRC for saying that I preferred reflection to a custom handler class that can "fail cleanly" for mod interaction.

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
The only way to change a final field is with ASM or reflection, and these people have a really strong hatred of that; I nearly got kicked out of the Forge IRC for saying that I preferred reflection to a custom handler class that can "fail cleanly" for mod interaction.
I have no idea why people hate reflection. It's simple to use, and doesn't cause any big trouble.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
Is "failing cleanly" one of the reasons why when modded MC boots up it usually displays a whole bunch of exceptions in the log, and yet never crashes? That annoys me so much. If there's a problem, I want to fix it, not overlook it.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I have no idea why people hate reflection. It's simple to use, and doesn't cause any big trouble.
"OMG ITS SLOW AND ITS SOO BAD! CODE FORM! DONALD KNUTH! STANDARDIZATION! POLISH NOTATION!".

Is "failing cleanly" one of the reasons why when modded MC boots up it usually displays a whole bunch of exceptions in the log, and yet never crashes? That annoys me so much. If there's a problem, I want to fix it, not overlook it.
Actually, reflection tends to generate more of that. However, it is preferable to crashing outright for mod interaction code.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
That is...very unlikely. Unless they use some very precise compression methods that, again, make massive use of bitwise operators, then ints are stored on disk exactly as they are in memory.
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Chunk_format
Look at the ExtendedBlockStorage class. They're actually using half-bytes (aka nibbles) for that in the memory.
Accessing an element in such a nibble array basically goes like this:
Code:
byte value = array[index >> 1];
if(index & 1 == 0)
    return value & 0xF;
else
    return value >> 4;

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
anyone still remember the time when you still had to edit the jars to install mods onto minecraft?

You still have to do that with the few remaining plugins. Though with the loss of... what was that called? 1.6 will be the last version of minecraft that happens in.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
anyone still remember the time when you still had to edit the jars to install mods onto minecraft?

We still do.
Now you also have to rename stuff in the .JSON and several other steps that make it significantly more complex- as well as drag and drop the files with WINRAR.
(Why do you think we all use 3rd party installers now?)​

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds like TerraFirmaCraft
As far as I can tell, the only things that are really TFC-like are the getting sticks from trees and the fact that you can knap. But even then the sticks thing is much more complex as it not only makes saplings useful, but also adds a choice in how one uses saplings: burn them, grow them or convert them, and with saplings taking immense amounts of time to grow, it's often much more viable to just convert of burn them. Knapping, on the other hand is just a single shapeless recipe with a single item as output, it's really nothing like TFC knapping other than how you use 2 stones.

Status
Not open for further replies.