Taking a look in FTB again. 1.7 Worth?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

Long time no see! I recently stumbled over direwolfs YT cannel and saw 1.7 is out now so I decided to take a look back into here and see what’s moving on.
Glad to see that the same old faces are around here J

I stopped playing after DW 1.6 1.1 since I got myself bored by the mods. I did the same stuff to often over and over. Rotary craft was indeed a very nice mod I enjoyed a lot. But it’s in my being that I can´t go other routes in a new world if I still could use the one I used before.

I will always use AE for storage since it’s just the most complex and there with for me the best mod. Also if I can atomize a chicken farm with a Spawner I will always prefer this over a Natural egg farm with maybe a Vacuumduct near.
This said, I´m not blaming the mods our there for getting me bored J Just myself.

I watched into what mods are in DW 1.7 and see that there isn´t anything big new mod in there. Or at least I’m not able to spot it in this huge list.

AE2 seems interesting but I’m not sure if it’s really new or just takes some time to get the new mechanics and then it tends to be the same as before.
BC 6 also don´t seem to be new. It’s different and better no question, great job done! But I think for my gameplay it does not offer anything new is it?

Long Text, short question: Does DW 1.7 worth a new beginning when I still have a unfinished 1.6 base I could jump back in to see if I get motivated?

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
You should give those themed packs a try? They aren't my cup of tea but I understand that it gives a challenge to those who sought it.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
ALL the new things.
But there seem to be just a FEW. Even we jumped a hole patch from 1.6. to 1.7

You should give those themed packs a try? They aren't my cup of tea but I understand that it gives a challenge to those who sought it.

Like what? I don´t know what you refere to "Theamed packs" Do you mean 3. party packs like crashlanding or magicworld?
In general I do not like the Magic stuff in MC a lot. Resurrection indeed seems to be more interesting to me then DW aftrer rewatching the mod list. Still need to do some research if Rotarycraft is addable.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Still need to do some research if Rotarycraft is addable.
I'm running DW20 1.7 with the following mods thrown in:

ATG
RotaryCraft + DragonAPI
Fastcraft
Galacticraft Core + Planets + MicDoodle Core
Pam's Harvestcraft.

No issues whatsoever and I dare say it finally looks even more stable that 1.6.4 ever was.

My only issue is that some Pam recipes are conflicting with other mods. Case in point .. I get a pan instead of a chisel when doing iron and a stick. I just cheated one in :)

As a previous skeptic of 1.7.x, I'm actually having a lot of fun.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
Any ID conflicts you had to solve or did you just add them? Never tried Galacticfaft and I´m coming from Kerbal now, so might worth a try.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Any ID conflicts you had to solve or did you just add them? Never tried Galacticfaft and I´m coming from Kerbal now, so might be a shot.
Yeah it's especially nice if you play KSP :D

Not a single ID conflict, unlike 1.6 where I had 100s to deal with.

I think ID conflicts are not a thing anymore with 1.7 as things are written differently.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Some incentive:

NgYoAGa.png

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah it's especially nice if you play KSP :D

Not a single ID conflict, unlike 1.6 where I had 100s to deal with.

I think ID conflicts are not a thing anymore with 1.7 as things are written differently.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well this screenshot maybe impress me once I know its not the same as just some Mistcraft Ages ;)
When I get home I will get some YT Spotlight of Galacticraft and may start to tinker around with some mods to add on the DW 20 Pack.

Things are written different you say?
I¨m not into programming but does this mean that the rubbish MC Java code got cleaned up a bit and we got a more stabel game here?
Realy have no Idea what changed from Vanilla 1.6. to 1.7

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Uh ... I'll let people who are more into the coding bits than I am. I just chuck stuff in the mods folder and tinker configs, and hope for the best!

I just know that stuff doesn't conflict anymore.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I'm running DW20 1.7 with the following mods thrown in:

ATG
RotaryCraft + DragonAPI
Fastcraft
Galacticraft Core + Planets + MicDoodle Core
Pam's Harvestcraft.

No issues whatsoever and I dare say it finally looks even more stable that 1.6.4 ever was.

My only issue is that some Pam recipes are conflicting with other mods. Case in point .. I get a pan instead of a chisel when doing iron and a stick. I just cheated one in :)

As a previous skeptic of 1.7.x, I'm actually having a lot of fun.

Version 1.0.3 has a modified Chisel recipe since there was also a conflict in 1.0.2 with a Trowel from one of the botanical mods... Chisel is now 1 stick and 1 iron in vertical squares instead of diagonally placed.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Not quite the themed pack, but you could try one of the HQM packs. Material Energy^4 seems to be the major one at the moment that's actually out for 1.7.10, but I think others will be following shortly. I find that they add a little purpose and direction, and help to get you to try some other mods by encouragement, rather than forcing it down your throat (a la GregTech).

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Well this screenshot maybe impress me once I know its not the same as just some Mistcraft Ages ;)
When I get home I will get some YT Spotlight of Galacticraft and may start to tinker around with some mods to add on the DW 20 Pack.

I¨m not into programming but does this mean that the rubbish MC Java code got cleaned up a bit and we got a more stabel game here?
IDs are now assigned automatically and on a per world basis. Ground work was started for the 1.8 optimizations, such as changes to rendering and light updates(and mistakes were made...). New biomes and blocks were added as well.

Reactions: Shevron

midgetassin

Jul 29, 2019

1.8 minecraft code has been rewritten a lot but 1.7 is kinda in the middle so some things have been changed slightly but others hasnt its actually worse in my opinun mostly becuase its much harder to run

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
I was told it is. :) not giving my sources btw.
The thing is, it is very common among programmers to think of everyone else's code as crappy. There are many objective criteria for bad code, but at least as many subjective ones.

It's very easy, but ignorant (not accusing you of that, just speaking in general) to criticize a piece of code, or a solution, without knowing or considering the historical context. A good example would be something like "Why did stupid Notch use numeric IDs??? Everyone knows that will result in conflicts with multiple mods!!!".

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
If you are happy with 1.6.4 then I would suggest sticking with it. After playing with the new features in AE2 and Thaumcraft so I cant go back to the old ways.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
The thing is, it is very common among programmers to think of everyone else's code as crappy. There are many objective criteria for bad code, but at least as many subjective ones.

It's very easy, but ignorant (not accusing you of that, just speaking in general) to criticize a piece of code, or a solution, without knowing or considering the historical context. A good example would be something like "Why did stupid Notch use numeric IDs??? Everyone knows that will result in conflicts with multiple mods!!!".

True words. Next time I will think better about what I say xD You guys are taking this shit to the limits xDD (I may should reconcider if this sentence is politicly correct. welll.... go bash me for it ;) )