What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Through much frustrating trial and error that metal blocks outside the a Big reactor Turbine will still act as a Induction coils!
Oh lol
is that the cause of the problem you had where you exactly copied a design yet it didn't work?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Oh lol
is that the cause of the problem you had where you exactly copied a design yet it didn't work?
Yeah. It drove me nuts.
Had exactly identical layout turbines 20 blocks apart, one running as it should, two running at 600ish RPM lower.

After breaking and replacing some parts on another identical turbine on a testworld which I had tried to replicate the problem by adding lots of metal blocks around (with previously no success), I noticed that it and the turbine next to it suddenly started behaving odd as well. Immediately knew it WAS the metal blocks but they only started affecting the turbine if the turbine was broken and rebuild after they were placed!

So turns out all the Silver Blocks I used as decoration around the turbines were acting as Induction coils, causing drag and returning horrible energy efficiency. Attempting to use Carpenter's blocks now with the metal blocks applied to see if that works better.

Maybe this "bug" actually opens up for some cool build options. Like you could perhaps make a slim long turbine and then wrap your coil around the outside, perhaps part of the structure/decoration...

Last edited:

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
Today I discovered that redstone books, aka "Redstone: Volume I" are a thing. From bibliocraft, and if you put them in a bookcase, depending on which slot, it can emit any strength redstone signal. Super useful if you don't want to have to use a bunch of redstone dust to get a signal of a specific strength for, say, a duplicate of direwolf20's cow farm. Or that auto-dropping system for endoflames he did.

thegreatpl

Jul 29, 2019
Pulverisers can pulverize gregtech crushed metals.

Takes a massive amount of power compared to the steam hammer, but has the chance of getting an extra dust.

San

Jul 29, 2019
Bibliocraft + mariculture lets you get infinite enchanted books. Use the printing press and the typesetting table to make enchanted plates, then repair the plates using Restoration on jewelry. It's manual since you actually have to wear the jewelry and hold the plate but it's free once you have everything

I think something like the thaumic restorer might also work, haven't tested

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
You can (by design) get infinite enchanted books at the cost of some wood and iron for every third copy with Bibliocraft alone. However, the restoration jewelry/thaumic restorer/whatever trick is an interesting one. Hmm... I wonder if Enchanted Plates enchanted with Repair (if that's even possible... OpenBlocks anvil, maybe?) will repair themselves by draining your Thaumcraft wand...

I'll test this right now.

Update: Repair does not seem to work on enchanted plates, and while anvils seem to be able to put extra enchantments on them, it doesn't actually do any good. However, I can confirm that the Thaumic Restorer does indeed work, which, unlike jewelry, can be automated.

Also, I found that although neither enchanted plates nor enchanted books store their enchantments in the same way as regular tools. While you can use the X key in NEI to cheat in books and plates with multiple enchantments, anvils are smart enough to only put the actual enchantment onto tools and armor, not any cheated-in enchantments. So, I guess a trolling server admin could give a player an enchanted plate with fifteen level-10 enchantments that the printing press converts into a book with fifteen enchantments, which in turn imbues a sword with Bane of Arthropods I.

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Update: Repair does not seem to work on enchanted plates, and while anvils seem to be able to put extra enchantments on them, it doesn't actually do any good.
Have you tried keeping them in your hotbar? Pretty sure that is(or was) necessary for Repair to do its thing.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I was under the impression that BiblioCraft's book printing had significant expenses (non trivial amounts of XP, at least) for copying enchanted books. Am I wrong here?

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Have you tried keeping them in your hotbar? Pretty sure that is(or was) necessary for Repair to do its thing.
I tried holding it in my hand for a few seconds; nothing seemed to happen. I'm guessing that Azanor coded Repair so that it only works on his own tools and armor.

I was under the impression that BiblioCraft's book printing had significant expenses (non trivial amounts of XP, at least) for copying enchanted books. Am I wrong here?
That's only for the typesetting table, which turns an enchanted book into an enchanted printing press plate. The printing press itself, which turns the plate into more books, only requires an ink sac and 15-20 seconds for each operation. When copying written books, the plates last indefinitely, if I remember correctly, but enchanted plates (for enchanted books) have only three uses. Therefore, by repairing the plates somehow, you can produce more and more enchanted books without paying the non-trivial XP typesetting cost for every third one.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. MFR auto spawner mob farm generating copious amount of mob essence.
Pipe the mob essence into OpenBlocks' tanks, they get converted into liquid xp.
Use a shower, also from OpenBlocks, to shower all those xp on yourself.
Then make more enchanted books!
You can swap the MFR auto spawner with EnderIO's powered spawner too, that one takes only power to work.

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
Use a shower, also from OpenBlocks, to shower all those xp on yourself.
Then make more enchanted books!
Or use an Auto-Enchantment table to do both automatically.

You can swap the MFR auto spawner with EnderIO's powered spawner too, that one takes only power to work.
Yeah, this is kind of a cross-mod exploit: in MFR, the spawner needs the mob essence infrastructure, while the killer only needs power. In EnderIO, the spawner only needs power while the killer needs the "mob essence" (in this case nutrient distillation). Pick and choose - good times!

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
To be fair, MFR auto spawner takes a lot less power to spawn and spawns faster (in my own experience), while consumes mob essence to do so.

And EnderIO's powered spawner takes a load more power to spawn, spawns slightly slower (only if you can't ferry the mobs out of the effective area of the spawner, since it will check it's surrounding for mobs before it spawns) but it doesn't require mob essence.
If I read mine correctly, the powered spawner (enderman) with an octadic capacitor consumes 15000 RF for one spawn cycle, about 3 Enderman per cycle. Expensive compared to MFR?

EnderIO's set is much easier to run IMO.
Start with a zombie spawner so you can get rotten flesh. You can make nutrient distillation which can be fed to Killer Joe as well as the Zombie Generator for power generation, which can be used to power the Vat (nutrient distillation is made here) and the powered spawner. But be invested in a heftier power generation method if you want to run exotic mob types. ;)

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
I agree, the power requirements on the EnderIO spawner set much steeper demands on your power infrastructure.

The varying energy cost is also a nice detail, with MFR it's really easy to farm tons of blaze rods or ender pearls. (This is not a complaint about MFR, it fits well with the rest of the mod.)

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
Today I learnt that when creating myscraft Intralinking pages, you can use bottle ó enchanting's to get the Intralinking trait without disarm, a much better option than gold dust!

Reactions: Eruantien

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
use an EnderIO spawner with a MFR Grinder to generate mob essence and use a MFR Auto-Spawner for the more costly mobs
An autonomous activator with a looting 3 tico weapon over a sewer sometime generate more exp then it cost to spawn the mob resulting in a net gain. Specialy with stronger monsters.

San

Jul 29, 2019
An autonomous activator with a looting 3 tico weapon over a sewer sometime generate more exp then it cost to spawn the mob resulting in a net gain. Specialy with stronger monsters.
If you're doing it for items you can jail them and it'll work while chunkloaded if you select "spawn exact copy"

and a blood sword/etherial sword is usually better since it won't break

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
When going through code I realized that cakes now emit a comparator value in 1.8, and are seven slices instead of six. I tracked it back to 14w28a, and updated bits of the wiki for history's sake, since there was no reference to any of this on there.