Why is the shaft junction breaking in this setup?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
This is for Direwolf20 pack 1.7 v1.02+latest version of Rotarycraft, Reactorcraft, Electricraft, Legacycraft, Geostrata, Veinminer, Treecapitator, and Enchanting Plus.
I worked out an attempt to automate switching between two speed/torque combinations, to power my extractor. Here's the setup I'm having the issue with
1) 4 merged gasoline engines. The shaft junctions for these are working fine.
2) Feed 1 into a multidirectional clutch. path a is straight forward at 0 redstone signal. Path b is to the side
3a) just a regular diamond shaft in front of the multi-clutch.
3b) bevel gear->16:1 gearbox in speed mode->bevel gear.
4) Shaft junction taking 3a and 3b
5) bevel gear into extractor

Basically, uses a multi-clutch to split the two paths and a shaft junction at the end to funnel the selected path into the extractor. Problem is, that shaft junction at the end will explode after several switches, for no discernable reason, and I tested this build in creative without incident. This leads to several questions

1) is it intended behavior that a shaft junction, in merge mode, that is receiving power from only one input side outputs that input?
2) if so, is there some limit to the number of times that the "on" input can switch, either total or within a given amount of time?
3) The Rotarycraft Handbook mentions that "combining too many engines' power will overload a shaft junction". Is this somehow being triggered, either intentionally or unintentionally?
4) Related to 3, are there other triggers for catastrophic failure of a shaft junction that aren't in the book?

Console log is showing nothing at the time of it exploding, except for a damage calc since I was standing near it at the time. I haven't tried to replicate this in a pure project red+rotarycraft setup yet, but if this is a potential error I could see about setting something up.

Attached is a screenshot of the setup in question, showing broken shaft junction. Would really appreciate help understanding what's going on.

Attachments

• 2014-12-25_00.11.23.png
    2014-12-25_00.11.23.png
    826 KB · Views: 85

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Shaft junctions are supposed to break when you have more than four engines.
But the junction at 4) seems to think it'd get input from 8 engines at the exact time it switches
Have to poke @Reika to investigate and fix it

1) is it intended behavior that a shaft junction, in merge mode, that is receiving power from only one input side outputs that input?
I think so, yes. That makes builds like this possible.
2) if so, is there some limit to the number of times that the "on" input can switch, either total or within a given amount of time?
That would make no sense to me.

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
I'm running v3d. First thing I did after having this issue was make sure I was running the latest.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
(off topic question: what's that damn cool toolbar UI you're using in your screenshot?)

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm...Maybe an issue with lag then? I sometimes get a bit of lag with that pack. I'm currently running a MultiMC instance with just Rotarycraft, Project Red, and the necessary APIs for them, got the same setup going. If it doesn't fail there, I'm going to presume lag is the culprit

All else fails, I do have a not-too-complicated redpower circuit figured out to hook up to a regular clutch and disengage power while it's switching.

(off topic question: what's that damn cool toolbar UI you're using in your screenshot?)

You mean the texture pack? That's the Okami texture pack. Bit outdated (hasn't updated since August of last year), but overall quite nice. Here's the link

Reactions: Shevron