Tinker's Construct Question: Flux vs Mossy

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Which do you prefer on you're tools

• Flux

Votes: 29 56.9%
  • Mossy

Votes: 22 43.1%

• Total voters

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Okay, am I the only person who only puts one piece of Lapis on a tool? Because it will slowly gain more naturally as you mine with it, and then I don't waste seven stacks of lapis on it.

Anyway, I usually find that even a basic leadstone flux capacitor is enough early game for the mining I'm doing. and since one of the earliest things I make is usually a pair of MPS legs with the Kinetic Generator, the run home is usually enough to recharge my tools. A stone hammer and tool station will take you a long way from home, in very little time.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, am I the only person who only puts one piece of Lapis on a tool? Because it will slowly gain more naturally as you mine with it, and then I don't waste seven stacks of lapis on it.

I don't put one piece of lapis on because I don't use an individual tool for that length of time before replacing it with something better. By the time I'm building my late game picks I already have a barrel full of lapis so I put full fortune/looting 3 on.

As far as mossy vs. flux I almost always prefer flux except in those special cases where my tools won't get that much use anyhow. Playing Agrarian Skies I almost never used pick or sword so mossy was OK for them.

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
Phew, that's good. I can breathe again!
Thank goodness, :) Tico RF tools I really like, but that change would be so annoying... Plus with things like Practicalities tools they need to stay competitive. I just hope the new dev puts the nerfs/hardcore stuff in his mod not tico trunk.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
I put silk touch on my main mining tools. The lapis just goes on one I leave at base for the stuff that doesn't get processed.

Was watching Direwolf20 and couldn't figure out why my tools couldn't take a higher end capacitor. Now I know. Thanks.

Leadstone flux capacitors are what usually go on my tools. As soon as I have some sort of charger. Of course by the time I get that I am done mining. By then I have at least one quarry going, or am close to getting one. Most my manual mining is actually done with stone or with the pink alloy (can't remember its name).

Right now I have a BC quarry, Ender Quarry, and two laser drills getting me ores. So manual mining is kinda pointless.

Playing on the Direwolf20 modpack.

Crhymez

Jul 29, 2019
My tools are
Pick- Cobalt head, Paper binding, Thaumium rod. Mossy
Hammer- Cobalt head, paper plates, Thuamium rod- Flux

My weapons i manually repair to get most damage

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

And there I thought *I* was the only person who did the 1 lapis thing.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
And there I thought *I* was the only person who did the 1 lapis thing.
It takes half an eternity before it's maxed out though
By the time it is maxed I would've needed it in many circumstances. I usually max it out manually when I have a good amount of Lapis.

Renton Terrace

Jul 29, 2019
I usually start with what lapis I have and then add more as I find it. Gets me some fortune early and saves me a little lapis in the long run

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Well, I use my tools a long time, so I have time to wait for them to 'level up' the hard way. It doesn't seem to matter if you're smashing stone or actual ores either. So my thousand block long exploratory mines usually get me up to Looting 2 in a couple days.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Eeyup, that's what my hammer is for as well. One piece of lapis, and by the time I'm done, I can simply continue on through anything that needs looting. My first diamond goes on the hammer, and then I don't have to upgrade until I need nether ores, and that's usually it's own NetherRack hammer. My pick usually has silk touch.

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
The reason I prefer flux over moss is because for me, I get into TICon when I'm approaching mid game. I just use iron/diamond pickaxes before then. I used to use moss all the time but the repair time is just too slow for me. I usually wait until I can make redstone flux capacitors and/or cells and then I just charge the tool/weapon, and I'm good for a while. Also, wireless chargers from ender io help a ton. Moss also has a downside where if you are not in direct sunlight the tool repairs very slow. I know, I know, you can add more balls of moss for less repair wait time, but the more moss you add, the more modifiers it uses, taking the spot of potential redstone upgrades or maybe silk touch. This can be a good early game option, but flux seems more efficient in the long run.

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I've noticed that mattocks, and axes tend to get more benefit out of moss, since they're almost entirely used on the surface, rather than under the ground where the penalty to speed applies. Then again, my preferred early tree farm is of the dense oak variety, and I'll usually go through two Lumber Axes cutting one of those down.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I've noticed that mattocks, and axes tend to get more benefit out of moss, since they're almost entirely used on the surface, rather than under the ground where the penalty to speed applies. Then again, my preferred early tree farm is of the dense oak variety, and I'll usually go through two Lumber Axes cutting one of those down.
Wow. Are you using full paper lumber axes or what?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
No, stone. But I typically plant two stacks worth of saplings. And one axe does about a stack worth of trees, depending on how big they grew.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
No, stone
I built my tools out of all one material for the longest time. Didn't really understand how the mod worked. Tried out a wooden handle and started wondering exactly how the mod worked. Still wondering. Learning more and more every day though.

By time I stop using stone tools I have the infrastructure to support flux. Haven't tried moss in the longest time. Think I will go look into. It had a somewhat early to make recipe awhile back. Bucket of water with cobble and possibly wheat in a crafting grid to get mossy cobble. Then 8 or so mossy cobble in the grid to get the moss.