What mods would you want in a hard mode pack?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
I am thinking of making an 1.7.10 HQM uber-hardcore pack for the part of every Mcer that just wants a challenge using some of the mods that dont get used in fun general packs. So far I am considering-

Iguana Tweaks (This has barely been used compared to it's counterparts)
Iguanas Tinker Tweaks
The Spice of Life (This is an anooying one but still it's pretty hard. :p)
Hunger Overhaul
Enviromine (Some parts, I dont like all of it)
TerrafirmaCraft (This would basically make all other mods uneeded, but since Generikb is releasing his own HWM FC pack I probably wont do it)
(Also mod/mine-tweaker for recipe changes to other mods that usually have easy recipes)
Special Mobs
Mob AI

So my question is what other hard mods do you like/would want to suffer under? :eek: ;)

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Personally for a "hard" pack I would remove tinkers construct entirely, even with Iguana's Tinkers Tweaks it really makes early and mid game to easy, never having to really worry about tools much.

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
Some self advertising here... FighterMobs by CoolSquid, maybe also SquidUtils.
I'll check it out....
Personally for a "hard" pack I would remove tinkers construct entirely, even with Iguana's Tinkers Tweaks it really makes early and mid game to easy, never having to really worry about tools much.
What would you recommend as a replacement mod. Heaven forbid vannila tools.... :p I actually was thinking of not using ITT and instead just minetweaking most of the recipies to be uber-hard, specifically seared bricks and the smeltry parts.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Tool Utilities lets you add alot of the functionality of TiCo tools with an anvil and configurable ingredients

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
I think I may start with a modded TFC, then try Uber-Harcore XD idk Genny doesnt seem to b doing any added mods, so it seems fun to try to incorparte some with minetwekaer. AE2 would be awesome, but so much tweaking....

Last edited:

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I'll check it out....

What would you recommend as a replacement mod. Heaven forbid vannila tools.... :p I actually was thinking of not using ITT and instead just minetweaking most of the recipies to be uber-hard, specifically seared bricks and the smeltry parts.

Whats the objection to vanilla tools? Too hard for your hard mode pack?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
There's more to making a hard pack than just throwing in mods.

From experience from what I use, you've also got:
  • Minetweaker/Modtweaker + CustomItems (or similar) for changing how mods can interact with each other
  • World gen to control the resources available to the player
  • RandomThings (for dark nights, and the chance of a bloodmoon)
  • Primitive Mobs (TNT throwing creepers anyone?)
  • A lot of config adjusting and script writing ahead

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
No just imo annoying/not as useful compared to modded alternatives, that can still be challenging.

GT is pretty cool, but sadly I have not played much with it, but I'm working through Resurrection now so who knows. :p

Vanilla weapons are actually an exp sink. Quite useful when enchanted. Admittedly you need a back port of 1.8 style enchanting to make this realistic. Tools and weapons can be repaired using materials and xp and maintained indefinitely unless overused without resorting to any ultimately free repair mechanic.

Mods like TiC have been a staple for so long it's sad that even the most hard-mode modded mine craft players seem unable to part with their crutch.

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
There's more to making a hard pack than just throwing in mods.

From experience from what I use, you've also got:
  • Minetweaker/Modtweaker + CustomItems (or similar) for changing how mods can interact with each other
  • World gen to control the resources available to the player
  • RandomThings (for dark nights, and the chance of a bloodmoon)
  • Primitive Mobs (TNT throwing creepers anyone?)
  • A lot of config adjusting and script writing ahead
I know, it's just I want input on them from others on mods specifically.

Vanilla weapons are actually an exp sink. Quite useful when enchanted. Admittedly you need a back port of 1.8 style enchanting to make this realistic. Tools and weapons can be repaired using materials and xp and maintained indefinitely unless overused without resorting to any ultimately free repair mechanic.

Mods like TiC have been a staple for so long it's sad that even the most hard-mode modded mine craft players seem unable to part with their crutch.

I might try it, it's just that I hate using Vannila aspects for large parts of modded packs.

Great mod by Gany. Does it change enchanting though?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I generally prefer Gregtech in any pack that purports to provide a non-twitch challenge. (You'll get your usual pedants griping about "difficulty" versus "grind" here, to which I yawn.) That said, I don't particularly recommend it in many packs because its such a niche mod: too many people just really, really dislike it and most of those have zero interest in giving it another try.

I'd love to see a massively tweaked version of ReactorCraft & RotaryCraft in a challenging pack, but as it stands the author is extremely anti-minetwaker with regards to his work and the mods themselves are so brutally overpowered that they instantly displace just about any other means of energy generation and resource acquisition in a given modpack.

As far as I'm concerned these are by far the greatest tools ever given to a clever modpack maker.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I might try it, it's just that I hate using Vannila aspects for large parts of modded packs.

Consider how many mods actually add tools that players pass over because TiC. Steel, copper etc variants of the base tools. Ic2 has eu powered tools as do some other mods. All ignored in favor of TiCs easy mode...
Of course without TiC Thaumcraft becomes the next king of the hill if it's in the pack. But getting to self repairing items takes a tad more effort.

Reactions: Padfoote

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Consider how many mods actually add tools that players pass over because TiC. Steel, copper etc variants of the base tools. Ic2 has eu powered tools as do some other mods. All ignored in favor of TiCs easy mode...
Of course without TiC Thaumcraft becomes the next king of the hill if it's in the pack. But getting to self repairing items takes a tad more effort.

TiC hammer > IC2 diamond drill. Even the mining laser doesn't quite match for most use cases.

There's something wrong with that ;)