I want better boats!

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
So the boats in vanilla Minecraft are just not cutting it for me, and they're getting worse over time. In 1.6.4 you can sneeze and they'll break; in 1.7 they're harder to steer too; in 1.8, don't even touch them or they'll explode and they're barely steerable at all.

I know there have been maybe two or three mods that add boats and boatlike things, but I can't seem to find much in the way of references lately. Are there any mods for 1.7.10 that add good, useable boats? I don't need lots of features, I just want a boat I can run around in, park at a dock, and not worry too much about. But of course extra features are great, too.

I'm NOT looking for Archimedes Ships, where you build a multi-block structure and then turn it into a massive mobile entity. That's a fun idea, but it can be sort of a mess when you try to use it practically. And the ships don't float, they *fly*. Good for airships and maybe submarines, not quite so good for other uses. Mobs suffocate when you park your ship, and you can ruin the local coastline with it if you're not careful.

Links and suggestions, please.

Reactions: buggirlexpres

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
So the boats in vanilla Minecraft are just not cutting it for me, and they're getting worse over time. In 1.6.4 you can sneeze and they'll break; in 1.7 they're harder to steer too; in 1.8, don't even touch them or they'll explode and they're barely steerable at all.

I know there have been maybe two or three mods that add boats and boatlike things, but I can't seem to find much in the way of references lately. Are there any mods for 1.7.10 that add good, useable boats? I don't need lots of features, I just want a boat I can run around in, park at a dock, and not worry too much about. But of course extra features are great, too.

I'm NOT looking for Archimedes Ships, where you build a multi-block structure and then turn it into a massive mobile entity. That's a fun idea, but it can be sort of a mess when you try to use it practically. And the ships don't float, they *fly*. Good for airships and maybe submarines, not quite so good for other uses. Mobs suffocate when you park your ship, and you can ruin the local coastline with it if you're not careful.

Links and suggestions, please.

Mariculture - They have a speed boat that doesn't break into piece, IIRC.

So far, that is the only mod that has a boat in it. IC2 has a rubber boat too but that breaks like the vanilla wooden boat too, the only upside is it is easy to repair compared to remaking a new boat.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
i think ic2 also has an electric boat, made with iron plates and a water mill. I don't think this breaks.

Jnelso99

Feb 24, 2013
There is an "obsidian boats" mod that I've been using because I didn't want to deal with Mariculture's worldgen slowing things down. Just had to config it to use an "expensive" recipe as the default recipe conflicted with something else. Mariculture's speedboat is a little bit better and less glitchy, however.

ETA: What is the reasoning behind making the vanilla boats so dang fragile in the first place?