More 1.7.10 stuff

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
In other news, it's been eleven days. Did the literary team take over on the quests? Is there anything us outside the team can do to help? Are there adjustments currently being done to the balance of the mods in the packs? Is the ore generation being tweaked to match each pack's needs? Are recipes being changed a lot for balance, or is the resource rarity going to provide most of that? Are we going to see specific parts of certains mods disabled to provide a more streamlined experience? Tell us stuff. Make us hyped. Make the packs unique. Eat something so you regen your health (lookin' at you Slow :p).

Yes the literary team took over.

An update to Lite was pushed without quests

Mage Quest hit a snag that's been solved, and then ran head on into the holidays, but a beta update with quests should be out soon.

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
In other news, it's been eleven days. Did the literary team take over on the quests? Is there anything us outside the team can do to help? Are there adjustments currently being done to the balance of the mods in the packs? Is the ore generation being tweaked to match each pack's needs? Are recipes being changed a lot for balance, or is the resource rarity going to provide most of that? Are we going to see specific parts of certains mods disabled to provide a more streamlined experience? Tell us stuff. Make us hyped. Make the packs unique. Eat something so you regen your health (lookin' at you Slow :p).

Regarding community help- when the quests are released, we would REALLY appreciate your constructive feedback, good or bad. Tell us what worked and what didn't. For most of us, it's the first modpack and quests we've been involved in, so pointers as to what you like would help us immensely with later quests and modpacks.

We have some really awesome stuff and quests in the pipelines. You'll just have to wait until release to see what's in store!;)

Metachaos

Jul 29, 2019
Mage Quest hit a snag that's been solved, and then ran head on into the holidays, but a beta update with quests should be out soon.

*anticipation intensifies* I've resisted playing Mage Quest so far because I want the quests! Looking forward to it. I don't suppose that update will be out this weekend? People need rest and to see their families, after all.

HaoSs

Jul 29, 2019
i know you guys don't give eta. But.. Will we be able to enjoy some quests this christmas ? :)

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I just don't want players to think I am calling them stupid, but at the same time I want it to be a questline where true beginner players can learn.

Then make it a questline where a true beginner is guided.

Just be careful of the order of things.

Want to work with people of different skill sets? Chapters.

Chapter one
This chapter assumes that you don't know the first thing about the mods.
Pre-reqs: None.
Passing: You know how to make string and silkworms from crocks.

Chapter two
This chapter assumes that you can make string, fishing rods, etc., but have never needed a cobble generator or automated block breaking
Pre-reqs: Crooks and silkworms
Passing: Can make a something to stuff a chest full of cobble with no attention on your part. Can hammer cobble to gravel

Chapter three
This chapter will show you how to automate full ore processing
Pre-reqs: Knowledge of sifters, hammers, autonomous activators, block places, and some form of piping (hoppers, pipes, etc)
Passing: Your supply of ores is fully automated.

Hmm, might need another chapter in there somewhere on piping.

===

What you really need, especially if you want to spread the quest development out over multiple people (hint hint ... forward this to the HQM people) is the ability to join two different sets of quests into a single book. So, different people can write different chapters / quest lines, and you can put it all together when done.

===

Order: I played AgSkies with no knowledge of the primary mods. And I mean *none*.

Crooks should have been the first thing taught, because of the importance. Having never had to make a cobble generator in the air before, my first two attempts were pure disasters, and I actually had to cheat (look up a layout online) to make one work. After about the 6th quest, there's 7? quests that open up all at once, and for someone that does not know what to do, that's too many, and attention is scattered. Even if it is the case that you could do any of them, keeping a beginner focused on what's most important -- and that was a modpack all about automation -- is critical.

Until you have automated production of sand, grout / tinkerer's construct should not even be shown on the quest lines.

And if automated sand is the key early thing to aim at, then aim at.

I had friends help me out when playing AgSkies. They explained the crook long before the questline did, and I was getting into string, and off the questline. I quickly realized that automation was the most important thing, long before automation was explained.

So, perhaps a better way to explain order: If you were to ask someone very knowledgeable, "What is the most important thing for me to do next?", what would they say?

Last edited:

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
Then make it a questline where a true beginner is guided.

Just be careful of the order of things.

Want to work with people of different skill sets? Chapters.

Chapter one
This chapter assumes that you don't know the first thing about the mods.
Pre-reqs: None.
Passing: You know how to make string and silkworms from crocks.

Chapter two
This chapter assumes that you can make string, fishing rods, etc., but have never needed a cobble generator or automated block breaking
Pre-reqs: Crooks and silkworms
Passing: Can make a something to stuff a chest full of cobble with no attention on your part. Can hammer cobble to gravel

Chapter three
This chapter will show you how to automate full ore processing
Pre-reqs: Knowledge of sifters, hammers, autonomous activators, block places, and some form of piping (hoppers, pipes, etc)
Passing: Your supply of ores is fully automated.

Hmm, might need another chapter in there somewhere on piping.

===

What you really need, especially if you want to spread the quest development out over multiple people (hint hint ... forward this to the HQM people) is the ability to join two different sets of quests into a single book. So, different people can write different chapters / quest lines, and you can put it all together when done.

===

Order: I played AgSkies with no knowledge of the primary mods. And I mean *none*.

Crooks should have been the first thing taught, because of the importance. Having never had to make a cobble generator in the air before, my first two attempts were pure disasters, and I actually had to cheat (look up a layout online) to make one work. After about the 6th quest, there's 7? quests that open up all at once, and for someone that does not know what to do, that's too many, and attention is scattered. Even if it is the case that you could do any of them, keeping a beginner focused on what's most important -- and that was a modpack all about automation -- is critical.

Until you have automated production of sand, grout / tinkerer's construct should not even be shown on the quest lines.

And if automated sand is the key early thing to aim at, then aim at.

I had friends help me out when playing AgSkies. They explained the crook long before the questline did, and I was getting into string, and off the questline. I quickly realized that automation was the most important thing, long before automation was explained.

So, perhaps a better way to explain order: If you were to ask someone very knowledgeable, "What is the most important thing for me to do next?", what would they say?

Good ideas, wrong mods! I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say about it, but progress is being made in the FTB Lite quest department. Thanks for the input :D

Last edited:

Cheeseless

Jul 29, 2019
The hype is growing within me. I still find myself using lots of old building practices for mods, so i really am gonna need the intro quests to get me back up to speed on the big picture.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I used AgSkies as the example because it was the one I was familiar with.

AgSkies quickly got into the "too much is open at once" combined with "It's too hard to track what to do next".

Things would be opened up that were not immediately accessible.
Others were opened in a different chapter, and that was NOT immediately obvious.

In general, having a chapter open up later is NOT a good idea. Have the first quest in each chapter clearly indicate "you need X to proceed", visible from the start, so that I know when to start looking around.

By the time I realized that I had food quests opened up, I had to solve the food problem on my own, with what I already knew from vanilla. Because I did not even realize when the cooking chapter opened.

Etc.

So ... yea, too many options at once is a bad thing for people who don't know what they are doing, and using the quest system for a tutorial / walk though / guide path. It's easier to follow the achievement system, even if it's a "many things from here" -- you can see what goes where, even if you don't know the details of the later achievements. (Of course, it shows less things as well, so ...)

So, I guess what I'm saying:
1. Within a chapter, don't open up too much at once.
2. Avoid opening up a new chapter in the middle of an existing one, without making it clear to the player that a new chapter has opened -- and let them know to go and look at it.
3. Combining 1 and 2, make the chapter shorter. Where you would open up a new side chapter, end the first chapter, and open two or three others.

In AgSkies terms, once you can sift and get stone, end the first chapter. From there, have chapters on cooking (first utensils use smooth stone blocks and slabs), and beginning automation. From there, smelting, and advanced automation. Complete one chapter, and one or two new ones open. At any time, you know which chapters are open, and what they require to get going.

The first time I played AgSkies, I actually thought I had to finish the first set of quests before anything else would open up. I was surprised when I found other questlines had opened before I knew it.

And yea, having to pause and sit around fishing because it (and apples) were the only food sources I knew of, was annoying.

Reactions: Bashful Giant

Pokeguy1245

Jul 29, 2019
MR.jaddedcat I love what your modpacks have to offer and i'm personally a fan of thaumcraft and tinkers construct thank you!

d3w10n

Oct 9, 2014
And that's why I love internet.

I find it really sad, but I clicked on every one of them in vague hope I will actually find some info about FTB3 Lite release date :(

Its like a child on Christmas, opening a big present just to find a piece of cardboard with "Fuck you!" inside written with shit :(

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
I find it really sad, but I clicked on every one of them in vague hope I will actually find some info about FTB3 Lite release date :(

Its like a child on Christmas, opening a big present just to find a piece of cardboard with "Fuck you!" inside written with shit :(
You can play it already. It's on the launcher:
itsonthelauncher.PNG