New Modded Modsauce Server Coming soon

• Old server guidelines still apply, read them here: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/server-thread-guidelines-must-read.295/

II_The_Codes

Jul 29, 2019
Hi there all my guys/gals i am in the process of making a monster ftb server i need admin staff builders so fill this out to apply
IGN:
Name:
experince:
why you should be admin/staff/builder:
What you are going for
Maturity level

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
But what makes it different from other servers? Monster servers are a dime a dozen.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't host Monster for 3 reasons:
1) Monster is old, 1.7 packs are all the rave
2) Monster is a MASSIVE resource demanding pack, especially for servers
3) As @Wagon153 said, there are a metric butt-load of servers running this pack. IF you want a public server to stand out, your best bet is to go for a 3rd party pack (I'd go for a thread that has over 10,000 views), as most of them have dedicated players who may want to play on a server. And if you see the pack doesn't have a server/server files, ask the pack dev 99/100 pack devs are friendly, and don't bite. So if you see something you like there, then just ask. You'll either get a download link to the server files, or a reason why the pack will not work on multiplayer.

I don't care if you be a noob and go for the DW20 1.7 pack. BUT PLEASE don't try and prolong 1.6's already dragged out life...

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
*snip*
1) Monster is old, 1.7 packs are all the rave
*snip*

To be honest, I'm still running DW20 1.6.4 v1.0.25 on my FTB server. Why? Because the 1.7 packs are still buggy as all hell, and the mods are still being tweaked/updated/broken/fixed at this time.
I will update to 1.7, when it's a lot more stable.

But that's just my 2c

(Note: I'm with you there tho' on the "not another monster pack server" bandwagon LOL)

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Care to elaborate?

I would recommend HermitCraft's Modsauce personally.
Example #2 of a "bad" pack...
Kitchen sink packs (packs which just add mods for the sake of adding mods) are annoying as hell. You don't really have any one focus. Oh yes, I want to <mod> but there is also <mod>
And where in one pack you may finish Thaumcraft within a week, you are still doing around a month later in kitchen sink packs, as you just get sidetracked with all the other stuff. And then for servers it is worse, especially if you aren't one of the first on (or if you are, if the server allows griefing/raiding) as you need to travel out for miles just to get the basics to set up, whereas with more focused packs, you tend to find less of a need, as you don't need to go out miles to find aura nodes, iridium, etc.

Also, there is the "I am OP in everything" which I can't be the only one to enjoy (where you have completed all the mods that have a "tech tree") and with kitchen sink packs it gets annoying as hell, as you have so many mods to do. For example DW20:
Thaumcraft
Witchery
IC2 (really needs Gregtech to have a proper tech tree though)
Botania
(Not sure about this one, as I don't like the mod) EnderIO?
Applied Energistics 2 (sorta)
Forestry
Steve's Carts 2 (WHICH TAKES FOREVER BTW! 2 hours to makes 1 cart...)
Twilight Forest
And probably more, as I don't play the pack, and don't use a lot of the mods in there.

But packs which include too much "grindy" stuff (e.g. Thaumcraft research/scanning) it gets tedious. Or mods that require a LOT of time to progress in (e.g. Botania and Steve's Carts 2)... They just make a pack less enjoyable.

Don't get me wrong. If you want a pack to learn about mod intergration, on an easy pack, then DW20 is the way to go. But for actual enjoyment NOPE!

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Kitchen sink packs (packs which just add mods for the sake of adding mods) are annoying as hell. You don't really have any one focus. Oh yes, I want to <mod> but there is also <mod>
And where in one pack you may finish Thaumcraft within a week, you are still doing around a month later in kitchen sink packs, as you just get sidetracked with all the other stuff. And then for servers it is worse, especially if you aren't one of the first on (or if you are, if the server allows griefing/raiding) as you need to travel out for miles just to get the basics to set up, whereas with more focused packs, you tend to find less of a need, as you don't need to go out miles to find aura nodes, iridium, etc.

Also, there is the "I am OP in everything" which I can't be the only one to enjoy (where you have completed all the mods that have a "tech tree") and with kitchen sink packs it gets annoying as hell, as you have so many mods to do. For example DW20:
Thaumcraft
Witchery
Botania
Forestry
Twilight Forest
And probably more, as I don't play the pack, and don't use a lot of the mods in there.

But packs which include too much "grindy" stuff (e.g. Thaumcraft research/scanning) it gets tedious. Or mods that require a LOT of time to progress in (e.g. Botania and Steve's Carts 2)... They just make a pack less enjoyable.

Don't get me wrong. If you want a pack to learn about mod intergration, on an easy pack, then DW20 is the way to go. But for actual enjoyment NOPE!
I don't see it as bad. I quite enjoy packs like that. All the negatives you stated are why I enjoy it. All the stuff to do! Don't get me wrong, I like themed/quest packs too, but I have trouble finding ones I enjoy. Almost all of them are "HARDMODE" "HARDCORE" "YOU WILL DIE" and it sucks. :/ What if I want a quest pack that doesn't involve me dying repeatedly? (Yes I know about Wanderlust Reloaded and ME^3)

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
What if I want a quest pack that doesn't involve me dying repeatedly?
How about Running Red :D It's just almost dying.

Oh yes, I want to <mod> but there is also <mod>
This is kinda a problem for me. I sometimes want to check out several mods at once.
One way to do this would be to make a larger pack.
Or I could play two (or more) different worlds in parallel. This is definitely more time consuming and boring since you need to do many things twice (e.g. tree farm, AE system, building a house).

But I also dislike packs that are too large because they're generally unbalanced and I'm kinda playing on a potato. So I end up missing out on some mods and playing only one focused pack at a time until I get bored. I can still watch videos to take a look at what I'm missing out on.

Last edited:

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I mean running around with half a heart all the time, at least early game :p
Thank goodness there's no Iguana tweaks there...that slowness and mining fatigue when almost dead...

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019

Thaumcraft
Witchery
Botania
Forestry
Twilight Forest

thing is... there is nothing stating that you must do every single mod in the pack. if it's a compulsion you have, that's one thing entirely.

Personally, I rather enjoy playing on SMP servers where there's something for everybody. Means I don't have to do everything, and neither does anybody else. It encourages player interaction instead of showboating.