brewing potions with logistics pipes

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
so playing around, found that lp plays well with vanilla brewing stands...but not all is well.

water bottles, and all brewed outputs in between, do not stack. so while i can feed a stand 3 bottles, the crafting pipes will not accept more than one non-stackable item in the output slot. is there something in lp that can work around this? i can work with single potions fine, auto crafting works perfectly (entire farm setup working with this) but it would *really* rock if it could brew 3 at a time instead of single bottles

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
You mean the crafting pipe cannot accept more than one potion as crafting output?
Maybe the crafting byproduct extraction upgrade could help somehow.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
nope. i can send in multiple items. thats easy. satellite pipe handles the potion ingredient into the top of the stand, while crafting pipe feeds bottles in a side. the crafting pipe also pulls the final product perfectly. the problem is i cannot do "i give you 3 bottles of water, now give me 3 awkward potions" the output slot of the crafting pipe can handle a stack of stackable items, but not more than 1, non-stackable item, like potions. so i cannot get back 3 potions.

im looking at some of the redstone builds people have put up on youtube, looks like ill have to cheese it with some hopper/redstone hackery

rdemay91

Jul 29, 2019
Have one crafting pipe on 3 sides to pullout all the potions might work but doesn't completely solve the problem

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
Have one crafting pipe on 3 sides to pullout all the potions might work but doesn't completely solve the problem
that would be no different than requesting the same potion 3 times. the 3 bottle slots will fill, all 3 output bottles get pulled, but now we get an extra 2 brewing ingredients in the top. apparently we need a crafting upgrade/module that can handle x of non-stackable items.

i'm guessing this is one of those extremely rare cases that only occur with something like the brewing stand..i dont know of any other process that would produce more than 1 of any non-stackable item.

rdemay91

Jul 29, 2019
I don't do much with lp but that's just what I would try and fail. I know you can use sfm to do it easily as well as ae/ae2

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
so i managed to do something simpler, but with the help of some rednet wiring and hoppers. im using the automated brewing stand designed by minecraft for dummies, he has youtube video that shows how to automate the whole thing. but in my case, the whole thing is tied into a big farm/lp system that crafts everything on demand, from sand for glass bottles to smelting gold for making glistering melons and golden carrots. all things are grown by magical crops, except sugar cane, mushrooms, melons and nether warts. those get their own plots

2014-11-28_18.36.46.png

here you use the levers to tell the system what items will be used in the potion to brew.

2014-11-28_18.37.45.png

theres a lamp under the button. it will light up when you click the button, and then light up a second time when the brewing starts and stay lit until the brewing is done. the comparator on the brewing stand controls that, see later how its wired up.
2014-11-28_18.37.54.png

just a reminder of what potions you get with fermented spider eyes....cant expect a brewer to remember all that stuff ;)

here im using an automated brewing stand design by Minecraft For Dummies. search him on youtube and subscribe, he's got a lot of neat builds. Mumbo Jumbo is another favorite.
2014-11-28_18.38.10.png

the chest here collects water bottles from the LP network. it is set to always maintain 9 at all times, not including the ones in the hopper under it. that hopper feeds into the stand side. theres a hopper on top receiving ingredients with a comparator on it, this controls when water bottles get in the stand and locks the bottom hopper under the brewing stand until all the ingredients have been run through the brewing stand

2014-11-28_18.38.27.png

from the control room, a button will fire off a signal into this monostable circuit which quickly toggles the torches under the hoppers. this is where items get inserted into the next row of hoppers and sent down the ducts to the brewing stand
2014-11-28_18.38.35.png

the switches in the control room control these pistons. when the switch is on, the piston is retracted, unlocking that hopper. the redstone torches underneath still has the hopper locked, the item comes out when the monostable circuit fires. im using rednet cables with color coding to take advantage of the multiple signals along one wire.
2014-11-28_18.38.49.png

better view of the 'storage' hoppers with their locking pistons and torches. lp supplier pipes are attached to each hopper, each telling the lp network to always keep a stack of each item stored in each hopper. the order of the items is important so brewing just runs through the ingredient stack uninterrupted.

something you might notice is the last hopper has no locking piston on it...this one provides nether warts. the reason its on the end is the brewing stand has to have at least one item in it for the automation circuit to work. it will always be primed with a nether wart when the system is not in use. once the brewing process is done, the last item to fall in the top slot is the nether wart, priming the stand for the next brewing request. this also empties the hopper above it, causing it to unlock the bottom hopper (putting the brewed potions into the chest) and stopping the side hopper from loading more bottles into the stand.

2014-11-28_18.39.00.png

here is an aerial view of the entire crop layout. the bottom plot is for giant mushrooms. this is the only one that needs a fertilizer as giant mushrooms will not grow unless they get bonemeal. the back row is carrots, a magical crop multifarm, and nether warts crop. behind those are 2 cane farms and a melon farm.
2014-11-28_18.39.16.png

underneath the farms is the lp network that handles all the crafting needed to convert magical crop essence to their respective items, sending off seeds to the multifarm when needed, and some processing for smelting gold ore and making water bottles. theres a pulverizer to smash cobble into sand, a redstone furnace to cook the sand into glass, and a fluid transposer with an aqueuos accumulator for filling the bottles with water. off to the side is a thaumcraft furnace burning coal and leaves to make herba, for keeping the lamps of growth going above the magical crop
2014-11-28_18.39.57.png

the melon farm has a little redstone automation, thanks to AE level emitters, project red and a few pistons and vacuum hoppers. the cane farms use transition planes to harvest the topmost parts of the plants, those are also controlled with level emitters and dark cables.

2014-11-28_18.40.15.png

2014-11-28_18.40.24.png

youve seen me mention a multifarm, but this is not a forestry multifarm...what it does is one planter/harvestor is setup to handle multiple seed/output types without having to build a seperate pair for each type. on the image with the lp network, youll notice theres a bunch of ender chests. these are all on the same channel and they are tied both to the planter and the harvestor, with itemducts setup with whitelists. the chest on the planter is filtered so it only accepts seeds from the chest when they appear, and the chest on the harvestor has 2 ender chests, one for the crop essence (same channel as the seed providers, this makes sure the crafting pipes requesting an essence from a seed gets them) , another for seeds to send back to ae storage. lp is connected to the AE system via a provider pipe on an interface so everything the lp network needs comes from ae. the whole thing runs very nicely, and since theres a buffer of items in the hoppers, no wait for things to brew. it simply restocks the hoppers once things start brewing

all in all it was a neat build, but i REALLY wish there was a way to speed up the brewing process. if you brew a five step potion, you have to wait for all 5 steps to complete...not much i can do about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: ljfa