Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
The excessive loading/wait is more to do with the number of mods installed, rather than individual mods.
[Obviously bigger mods will take longer- but theres only so much optimisation someone can do, and there are some aspects of the load time that cannot be helped without redesigning large parts of forge/minecraft]​

I've tried a couple of the stupid packs with 200-250 mods, it takes around 20 minutes to load, 5 minutes to join a server, or 7 minutes to generate a new world. [game itself runs around 15-25fps, its playable if you're patient]
Here is the thing everybody, I have been watching the console, and it specifically stalls out when it hit Reika's mods. Every time it hits one of his mods, it stalls for two minutes. As in, nothing comes up on the logs for two minutes, then the error appears. At the bottom, it said to notify Reika, so I did. When you only have one hour of Minecraft time per three days or so, this can cause severe annoyance, as it starts to heavily cut into your Minecraft time.
The last time I was running 1.6.4 I had the unreachable version file issue, too. It took a few minutes for each of Reikas' mods to time out, raising the client start time from about a minute to something like 15. It definitely isn't just general modded client slowness.
This is exactly what I was saying, and it is good to know that I am not the only one with this issue. Also, a complete reinstall of the modpack did not fix it.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
I was going to upload the log file, but it exceeds pastebin's maximum size. Whoo. Any suggestions on alternatives to pastebin?

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Still happening to me aswell and it is taking an extremely long time to load on v25z from the loggers and cannot reach buildcraft\ version.txt.

AdmiralKirov

Jul 29, 2019
I got my server stuck on it for a couple of minutes, wherever those files are hosted, there' s some kind of problem

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Try disconnecting your internet while starting, the check should fail immediatly.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Quick tip, to calculate how hot your furnace will get with a friction heater using excel. The instead of high speed or high torque, it appears that an equal amount of speed and torque will give a better result.

Final Temp = Ambient + ( 12 * log(speed,2) * log(torque,2) )

And second a question for @Reika: I'm using 25z on 1.6 still, and in 23 I was able to pull intermediate products from extractors using a Factorization router. I'm trying to the same with Openperipherals (I removed Factorization), and discovered that I can successfull pullItems into the extractor from an adjacent inventory, but I can't pushItems out of the extractor at all from any slot.

Was this a purposeful change (ie: balance), or do I just have buggy code.

Thanks.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Quick tip, to calculate how hot your furnace will get with a friction heater using excel. The instead of high speed or high torque, it appears that an equal amount of speed and torque will give a better result.

Final Temp = Ambient + ( 12 * log(speed,2) * log(torque,2) )

And second a question for @Reika: I'm using 25z on 1.6 still, and in 23 I was able to pull intermediate products from extractors using a Factorization router. I'm trying to the same with Openperipherals (I removed Factorization), and discovered that I can successfull pullItems into the extractor from an adjacent inventory, but I can't pushItems out of the extractor at all from any slot.

Was this a purposeful change (ie: balance), or do I just have buggy code.

Thanks.
I deliberately broke the router's slot bypassing, though in your version it broke some automation.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I deliberately broke the router's slot bypassing, though in your version it broke some automation.

So that makes the question: do you not want players to extract intermediate products at all? I'm simulating CVT's (prebedrock) using multidimensional clutches and have a decent setup, but I was thinking of splitting it up a bit. You can pipe in any intermediate product, just not remove them.

If you think that breaks the balance and deliberately tried to keep everything inside the extractor, then I'll do it that way.

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
So that makes the question: do you not want players to extract intermediate products at all? I'm simulating CVT's (prebedrock) using multidimensional clutches and have a decent setup, but I was thinking of splitting it up a bit. You can pipe in any intermediate product, just not remove them.

If you think that breaks the balance and deliberately tried to keep everything inside the extractor, then I'll do it that way.
Yes, having to run all four stages in one machine is half the difficulty of running that machine.

Reactions: Demosthenex

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
Your best bet for running the extracter before reaching the end game, based on my experience:

Run a 4 wide hydrokinetic array and feed it lubricant from a few liquid distilleries. If you don't have a good source of oil (or no buildcraft) you can chain 4 steam or AC engines into a grinder. DO NOT use hydrokinetics to make more lubricant; you will lose more powering it than you will receive.

Step the speed up with a two 16x gearboxes. Make sure to use diamond to conserve lube. DO NOT place them directly onto the hydrokinetics. They default on torque and this causes the very high torque to destroy the gearbox. Set it to speed first and then rotate into place.

Once you've done all that you have two choices: You can either hook up a 2x gearbox (diamond of course) and switch between speed and torque as needed, or you can get another 4 hydrokinetics and chain them into the extractor so you never need to switch ever again. Just be careful chaining the engines because both the hydrokinetics and shaft junctions will break if more than 4 engines are in the mix. You can get around this with Electricraft.

Once you reach the end game just run it off of auroral batteries and/or magnetostatics.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Your best bet for running the extracter before reaching the end game, based on my experience:

Run a 4 wide hydrokinetic array and feed it lubricant from a few liquid distilleries. If you don't have a good source of oil (or no buildcraft) you can chain 4 steam or AC engines into a grinder. DO NOT use hydrokinetics to make more lubricant; you will lose more powering it than you will receive.
This is incorrect: Rotarycraft machines get exponentially less efficient as you increase power to individual machines. For example, the grinder only looses 3 seconds out of 45 every time you double the speed.
Therefore, if you want to get the maximum efficiency per kW, simply make more machines instead of overclocking one.

That being said, increasing the number of machines obviously costs more resources, and since both hydrokinetics and grinders cost nothing but steel there may be a point at which it may actually be more efficient to just make another hydrokinetic then make more grinders. I would need to know the average lubricant yield of a canola seed, as well as the consumption rate of hydrokinetics to calculate that, however, which are both unknowns to me.

For example, you can power 128 grinders from one hydrokinetic, all operating at minimum power. This is 2.8444 canola seeds per second, compared to 0.111 seeds per second if you poured all that power into one grinder.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019

Step the speed up with a two 16x gearboxes. Make sure to use diamond to conserve lube. DO NOT place them directly onto the hydrokinetics. They default on torque and this causes the very high torque to destroy the gearbox. Set it to speed first and then rotate into place.

Once you've done all that you have two choices: You can either hook up a 2x gearbox (diamond of course) and switch between speed and torque as needed, or you can get another 4 hydrokinetics and chain them into the extractor so you never need to switch ever again. Just be careful chaining the engines because both the hydrokinetics and shaft junctions will break if more than 4 engines are in the mix. You can get around this with Electricraft.

Once you reach the end game just run it off of auroral batteries and/or magnetostatics.

Frankly, I was strongly recommending that the hydros be nerfed, severely.

I can handle the extractors, but I was trying to setup one per stage. If Reika says that balance insists that he wants you to work it in one device, that's what I'll do.

Last edited:

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I feel the hydros are right where they need to be. Running Water is incredlibly efficient at producing rotation energy (using hydroelectric dams as an example)

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I feel the hydros are right where they need to be. Running Water is incredlibly efficient at producing rotation energy (using hydroelectric dams as an example)

You'll have to go back and look at the discussion history, but let me make a short point. A hydrokinetic dam has a huge body of water behind it, not a small trickle. Some of the math we bantered about shows a heavy bias toward pretend water.

If you have a hydro that scaled by how big a pool of water was behind it then that'd be great. Otherwise I have sworn off hydros.