Using to much RAM

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tbonekiller

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, I have a strange problem with the ftb monster modpack.. I have been using it since it came out and i never had any problems, but it has started to use way to much ram.

I have to give it 4gb in launcher options, or it gives me the "Minecraft has run out of memory" error.

I have tried different things, messing with permgen, more and less ram, updated java to 1.7.0_67 64bit, but the only thing that seems to work is giving it 4gb ram, this cant be right?

Anyone else experiencing this "problem"

Thank Thomas.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds about right to me. Are you starting to automate stuff? Get machines etc.?

Monster is a BIG pack, so high RAM usage can be expected :p

Tbonekiller

Jul 29, 2019
I havent been playing for some time, and have done nothing on the server. Last time i played it ran with 2gb just fine.

Tbonekiller

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I am using soartex but no shaders mod. This thing is i havent changed anything since i played with 2gb 14 days ago. Its a private server, just me and a friend, nothing big really. Could it be the java version?[DOUBLEPOST=1412191063][/DOUBLEPOST]I don't think i have ever seen the "minecraft has run out of ram" message before, but i have heart about it.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Has your friend played on the server and done stuff? And have you restarted the server since it started?

Tbonekiller

Jul 29, 2019
The server gets shut down every time we quit the game[DOUBLEPOST=1412192295][/DOUBLEPOST]Just thought of something. I am actually running the server from a new pc, can that have such a big impact client side?

The pc is running win 7 "like the old one" and the same Java version as my client pc..

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
The server gets shut down every time we quit the game[DOUBLEPOST=1412192295][/DOUBLEPOST]Just thought of something. I am actually running the server from a new pc, can that have such a big impact client side?

The pc is running win 7 "like the old one" and the same Java version as my client pc..
I wouldn't think so. But maybe you had more permgen before or something?

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't played Monster but it has a large amount of mods. Yogscraft complete requires about 18-20GB of RAM for 128x textures. It has over 250 mods. Your RAM usage is correct, Minecraft was never designed for this. I thought my 16GB was overkill but I had to upgrade for that pack.

While, you don't need to allocate that much RAM, it'll need that much to cache textures or Minecraft will crash. You really should never need to allocate more than 5GB to minecraft in the launcher, if it's still crashing at that point you likely just need more physical RAM. Check your RAM commit in the task manager, it's likely peaking.

The reason why you were likely fine before is because that's how it works with new worlds. It always gets harder and harder to run, and RAM requirements skyrocket as you start placing down more and more unique blocks. 8GB of physical RAM just isn't enough for such a pack + textures.

Last edited:

Tbonekiller

Jul 29, 2019
The thing i find strange is that i ran ftb monster 14 days ago with 2 gb of ram client and server side with no problems.. The only thing i have change is the pc the server is running on, same savegame and all..

Reactions: Wagon153

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
I've been using Java 7.45 for some time now; it works well for me. The last time I tried to update Java to... I think it was either 57 or 65, my OS (Windows) hated me, so I had to rollback. It could have something to do with the Java version. ::helplessshrug::

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
1392145244647.jpg