1.7 Stability

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Now that we've had this whole fiasco of people leaving/making their stuff OS, it might be the case where future modpacks from here on will be... Lacking?

With some very major mod makers out of the game, how will 1.7 "Ultimate/Unleashed/Monster" compare to its predecessors, in terms of offering a full modpack?

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, what I mean...

Most of the time, when you want a very specific modset, you play AS, BnB, etc. Monster gave you everything, so its purpose was the all inclusive, figure out what you want to do modpack.

Will we ever achieve that magnitude of modpack ever again? I'm not saying 1.7 Monster, I'm saying a 1.7 modpack which offers the same thing as 1.7. Instead of a modpack filled with dependencies, instead I have choices.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
The people at FTB stated a while ago that they will not continue to make Monster-style packs.

Source
JadedCat said:
1.7.10 packs are in the works. @Eyamaz has had an unfortunate computer fire which may cause some delay on the tech packs.

4 FTB packs are currently planned:

• Magic pack - no tech mods. Lots of mystical lore and quests
  • FTB Lite 3 : Lightweight foundation pack. Somewhere between 5-10 content adding mods with tutorial quests.
  • Tech pack - tech factory mods. May have quests
  • Super Duper Secret pack Eyamaz has been hinting at. The lore continues. More quests more tweaks more fun.
Magic and Lite will be my babies this time while Eyamaz will be doing Tech and the Secret pack. I will probably stick my nose into the secret pack at some point.

For Magic and Lite and my personal packs, development will proceed as follows:

• Alpha - no quests no major tweaks. - Break the mods find bugs, make sure there's nothing that would mean a mod needs pulled.
  • Beta - Hello tweaks and basic quests - More breaking needed, recipe testing, and quest path progression testing
  • Stable - Full release with full tweaks, quests and evilness.
While I will try to ensure no world resets are needed between any of the stages, it is possible that going from Alpha to Beta may lose some mods and you may want to restart. If you want to make sure nothing will change/break or require a reset, wait till Stable.

The 1.7.10 packs will be some of the most detailed packs FTB has ever done. They will not be just a group of almost compatible mods thrown together with a few basic quests. There will be storylines that cross reference other packs and lore and tweaks and all sorts of gameplay additions. Old familiar mods will be back along with some new friends.

Eyamaz may do his pack development differently. I am sure he'll comment on any differences.

I do not know when DW20 will be ready to do a pack. But we have a team to handle the third party packs maintained by FTB. When he's ready I am sure he'll tweet it out.

Will there be a pack that combines tech and magic? Yes

Will there be a pack that throws every popular mod at a wall and hopes they almost work together? No

You want a pack where people just throw every mod they can load without crashing in a folder... you don't need a modpack team to do it for you.

Do NOT ask for ETA's or modlists. Doing so may get you timed out from the forums. We'll let you know when they are ready for you to start breaking them.

NO YOU MAY NOT HAVE AN ETA.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Or you could make your own, in 1.7 it's even easier than 1.6. No ID conflicts to worry about there, just crashes from other things. It's not all that hard to make your own if you wish :)
it's been said many times, by Jadedcat herself even, there's more to making a pack than ID conflicts. This is the reason that I no longer have time to play minecraft the way I like to as much, because I don't have the time to sort through configs, get oregen working correctly with no duplicates, and so on.

With a pack like monster, or resonant rise, or any of the "all of the things" packs, you can load up on a SMP server, right out of the box, and find something that you want to do. Everybody will find something they like, and you still have the community. IRC cannot duplicate this.

I think a lot of the problem with the big packs boils down to self-control, motivation, creativity of the user. Do they challenge themselves to do things differently? Or do they just go the least common denominator and build a SC2/RC boiler setup? I don't think some people are capable of forgoing an easy solution for something that might be a bit more difficult, just for the fun of it. To that, I say, where's the fun in doing things the same/efficient way every single time?

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
I can honestly say that I don't quite like using the big packs with the mods that are in them to begin with. I like to actually add my own sort of touch to it and add some mods and whatnot, but I can see how people would like it to be out of the box running so they can do servers etc and people don't have to download all the other mods etc.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
I think the main attraction of the big packs is that they allow people to take multiple approaches and to focus on different areas, which makes them ideal in a multiplayer scenario where people have different interests. The smaller, more focused packs are more applicable to a singleplayer scenario, where there is no point including mods you have no interest in using, or when all of the people on the server have similar interests.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I think a lot of the problem with the big packs boils down to self-control, motivation, creativity of the user. Do they challenge themselves to do things differently? Or do they just go the least common denominator and build a SC2/RC boiler setup? I don't think some people are capable of forgoing an easy solution for something that might be a bit more difficult, just for the fun of it. To that, I say, where's the fun in doing things the same/efficient way every single time?
Bingo. Big, open-ended packs don't spoon-feed you goals and progression, you have to make them yourselves. It seems that ever since HQM packs came out (which are still amazing, don't get me wrong) a large chunk of the community has been utterly incapable of doing such.

In addition, as mentioned previously these themed packs are crap for multiplayer, especially ones with highly linear progression and HQM (skyblocks and a few others) because everyone will be doing the EXACT same thing.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
With a pack like monster, or resonant rise, or any of the "all of the things" packs, you can load up on a SMP server, right out of the box, and find something that you want to do. Everybody will find something they like, and you still have the community. IRC cannot duplicate this.
Precisely why I pose this question to the forums.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Precisely why I pose this question to the forums.
Well, unfortunately, I think we'll still get the same canned answer that we've been given up til this point.

"People want focused theme packs. Also, nobody needs the FTB team to craft an all-of-the-things-pack anymore because no more ID's, didn't you get the memo?"

I get it, the FTB team is creative, and you guys want to flex your muscles...but wow guys. Out of one corner of your mouth you say we don't need you just because ID's are handled by the client, and out of the other corner you say there's a lot more to a pack than throwing mods together. What gives? If there was no need, there wouldn't be posts like this. As long as there are SMP servers with community in mind, there will always be a need for a big pack that can be run out of the box.

(edit: and no, no dw20. never. that pack has been basically the same since 1.4.7)

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, unfortunately, I think we'll still get the same canned answer that we've been given up til this point.

"People want focused theme packs. Also, nobody needs the FTB team to craft an all-of-the-things-pack anymore because no more ID's, didn't you get the memo?"

I get it, the FTB team is creative, and you guys want to flex your muscles...but wow guys. Out of one corner of your mouth you say we don't need you just because ID's are handled by the client, and out of the other corner you say there's a lot more to a pack than throwing mods together. What gives? If there was no need, there wouldn't be posts like this. As long as there are SMP servers with community in mind, there will always be a need for a big pack that can be run out of the box.

(edit: and no, no dw20. never. that pack has been basically the same since 1.4.7)
you do know the PT made PC for a reason right. It is basically an all of the things pack (although the skylands theme is real important) that is aimed at unification.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
you do know the PT made PC for a reason right. It is basically an all of the things pack (although the skylands theme is real important) that is aimed at unification.
I suppose. It could help me with my time problem. but SMP/Community servers still have choices to make.

They...
Could run a 3rd party pack, which may or may not be updated/debugged as much as it should be, and may or may not attract the numbers that past packs did. I've seen server communities try out AgS, TPPI, and others, only to shut them down in short time because of lack of interest, bugs, etc.

Could run DW20, which as said before, has been the same for a long time. There's only so many ways you can cook a potato.

Or build a custom pack, and have far less traffic than you would if you were running a mainstream or 3rd party pack.

I suppose the custom pack isn't a bad option, but only if you aren't attempting to make money from your server. The remaining two are the only solid choices to monetize your server, imo.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I suppose. It could help me with my time problem. but SMP/Community servers still have choices to make.

They...
Could run a 3rd party pack, which may or may not be updated/debugged as much as it should be, and may or may not attract the numbers that past packs did. I've seen server communities try out AgS, TPPI, and others, only to shut them down in short time because of lack of interest, bugs, etc.

Could run DW20, which as said before, has been the same for a long time. There's only so many ways you can cook a potato.

Or build a custom pack, and have far less traffic than you would if you were running a mainstream or 3rd party pack.

I suppose the custom pack isn't a bad option, but only if you aren't attempting to make money from your server. The remaining two are the only solid choices to monetize your server, imo.
yeah...

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

...Which is funny, since DW20 is doing exactly what some people want for Ultimate/Unleashed/Monster.

If I ran FtB I think I would hold a contest similar to "Jampacked" except that I would set minimum system hardware requirements that the packs would have to run on in a playable fashion as well as a minimum number of mods required for the pack to qualify.

The real contest judging would be based on the mandatory essay the creators have to write about the qualifying constraints put on the packs and what they learned about the job that JadedCat and Eyamaz have voluntarily taken upon themselves for FtB, and others for the 3rd party packs. :D

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well DW20 isn't bad. That modpack will be as close as we'd get, if nothing similar to Monster is released as a non-DW20 pack.

I just wanted more so to address the inherent problem of specialization of modpacks in a modded environment for a sand box game.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
...Which is funny, since DW20 is doing exactly what some people want for Ultimate/Unleashed/Monster.

What exactly is that though?

really I'm just talking about DW20 being basically the same pack since 1.4.7, save a couple additions. Sure, DW20 delivers on giving a little something for everybody, but once you're tired of cabbage, it makes you sick.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
What exactly is that though?

really I'm just talking about DW20 being basically the same pack since 1.4.7, save a couple additions. Sure, DW20 delivers on giving a little something for everybody, but once you're tired of cabbage, it makes you sick.
That is more of an SSP problem. In SMP it's about community. Most MC communities have very different players. The Mindcrackers are a great example. Every person there has a very different style of build/play. Something only a generalized, all-inclusive pack can provide an environment for.