FTB well behind the curve

Status
Not open for further replies.

kulflame

Jul 29, 2019
I would just like to point out how far behind FTB is with pretty much everything.
It seems they have way too much on their plate to devote to getting even their JamPacked up to date much less the packs (which they are known for). At launcher has them beat by MONTHS. Let's not forget about the NEWS section on the launcher itself. You cant scroll left or right and the words are all cut off. You have to go to the actual site to get any sense of what the news actually read.

How about either stop making your packs and focus on your TUG crap or stop with the TUG crap and focus on what you are known for - Packs!

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
I swear I'm not stalking you guys... I mean girls... I mean ugh. I came here to see what this behind the curve --removed-- was about

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

Vogon

Jul 29, 2019
I would just like to point out how far behind FTB is with pretty much everything.
It seems they have way too much on their plate to devote to getting even their JamPacked up to date much less the packs (which they are known for). At launcher has them beat by MONTHS. Let's not forget about the NEWS section on the launcher itself. You cant scroll left or right and the words are all cut off. You have to go to the actual site to get any sense of what the news actually read.

How about either stop making your packs and focus on your TUG crap or stop with the TUG crap and focus on what you are known for - Packs!
Yet you are not on another launcher forums but posting on these...

That just shows how big FTB is...

Crhymez

Jul 29, 2019
I think you are mistaken. Head over to 3rd party packs, No other launcher can touch whats there. Head over to thread to get some pack codes. I suggest http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...ft-hard-mode-modpack-updated-9-26-2014.50185/

FTB is about quality not quantity, I would much rather wait for a pack to be released that is not half assed and riddled with bugs. Sure AT launcher might have had packs out longer but when FTB releases theirs they will be the most played. Also the 3rd party packs here have been around for about the same time. Don't wait for a main pack, grab a 3rd party pack and play till the main ones are out.

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019
ATLauncher packs are also kitchen sink packs, while FTB packs are works of art. Your argument is irrelevant.
If you mean by work of art buggy and incredibly unstable throughout the entire version and dependant on a mod that only works properly in ssp (HQM), then yes.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
ATLauncher packs are also kitchen sink packs, while FTB packs are works of art. Your argument is irrelevant.

ATLauncher packs, in my opinion, are more unstable than Unstable is... I'm a fan of Hypnotizd and when they released their new Hermitcraft "Modsauce" pack I decided to try it. Two upgrades later I'm still crashing at random intervals. The Mindcrack guys put their Crackpack there and had so many problems that THEY stopped playing it.

Don't get me wrong... I'll still try out and will play any packs on ATL that catch my fancy, but even the alpha packs on FtB seem more stable than some I've found elsewhere. Even Lite 3.

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019
ATLauncher packs, in my opinion, are more unstable than Unstable is... I'm a fan of Hypnotizd and when they released their new Hermitcraft "Modsauce" pack I decided to try it. Two upgrades later I'm still crashing at random intervals. The Mindcrack guys put their Crackpack there and had so many problems that THEY stopped playing it.

Don't get me wrong... I'll still try out and will play any packs on ATL that catch my fancy, but even the alpha packs on FtB seem more stable than some I've found elsewhere. Even Lite 3.
HQM is the worst thing to exist in modded mc at all from a server perspective. No mod in minecraft history, not even the TE disaster, has caused more server side issues and was less stable then those.
To add insult to injury, HQM takes customization away from players by breaking quest progression if you remove mods, adding further to instability as you cannot anymore remove mods breaking.

As ATL packs, I tried both modsauce and BTP. Sure there are issues, but at least they get more then 1 update every 3 months (cough monster, 1.1.2 has managed to somehow be even less stable then 1.1.1)

Don't get me wrong, ftb is still a community and news source, but the launcher hasn't been working properly for like half a year and the current modpacks look all to be hqm toss.

Reactions: kulflame

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
HQM is the worst thing to exist in modded mc at all from a server perspective. No mod in minecraft history, not even the TE disaster, has caused more server side issues and was less stable then those.
To add insult to injury, HQM takes customization away from players by breaking quest progression if you remove mods, adding further to instability as you cannot anymore remove mods breaking.
Non issue. These are entirely the point of HQM: to create a standard, fixed environment for players to play in a strict, identical playing field. Its 100% perfect for packs its suited to, and 100% wrong for packs it isn't.

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019
Non issue. These are entirely the point of HQM: to create a standard, fixed environment for players to play in a strict, identical playing field. Its 100% perfect for packs its suited to, and 100% wrong for packs it isn't.
Minecraft is a sandbox though - a variable sandbox.
What you say could work if all mods were stable and HQM wasn't coded like barf and would break every other day and delete save files or not save at all server side. Go check the state of the art servers running 1.6 HQM packs (AS, CL, etc) and see how they have quest resets quite often, and that is after trying to ASM out alot of the broken stuff by their own devs.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I have created in my sandbox a giant castle for all my friends to play in. They can move furniture and little toys from room to room, but they are not allowed to break the walls.

If you don't like my castle, you're welcome to go dig holes elsewhere.

What you say could work if all mods were stable and HQM wasn't coded like barf and would break every other day and delete save files or not save at all server side. Go check the state of the art servers running 1.6 HQM packs (AS, CL, etc) and see how they have quest resets quite often, and that is after trying to ASM out alot of the broken stuff by their own devs.
I only speak for the idea of the mod, not the quality of its implementation. If you say its code blows, and were justified in saying so, I wouldn't disagree with you.

But the mod itself as an idea is pure brilliance, and all you have to do to see that is look at the massive...absolutely massive...resurgence in skyblocks and related packs since its appearance.

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019
I have created in my sandbox a giant castle for all my friends to play in. They can move furniture and little toys from room to room, but they are not allowed to break the walls.

If you don't like my castle, you're welcome to go dig holes elsewhere.

I only speak for the idea of the mod, not the quality of its implementation. If you say its code blows, and were justified in saying so, I wouldn't disagree with you.

But the mod itself as an idea is pure brilliance, and all you have to do to see that is look at the massive...absolutely massive...resurgence in skyblocks and related packs since its appearance.
The idea behind the mod works well - in theory - when you can make the game into some unified directive almost-rpg via modpack.
The reality though is, the implementation of both HQM and some of the mods they are using it with blows so very hard that its basicly a choice between getting rid of it - pissing off players - or suffering terrible server instability with it.
If someone made an HQM that was actually robust and stable, did not crash the server more often then anything else, did not loose its save data frequently, and did not use so much CPU and processing power, that would be an entirely different ordeal.

As it stands though, I resent the HQM situation because I cannot remove it from a modpack without consequences, but I would very much like to, because it is not stable and not fit for server use - at all.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
A mod messing up? WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT. But seriously, I've never had these issues. That's like saying "THAUMCRAFT IS BAD BECAUSE IT LAGS ME OUT." And your arguments about the sandbox are invalid. As Pyure said, some players prefer their sandbox to be more like a maze.

XLT_Frank

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't like FTB, then why the hell are you hear wasting our oxygen and time? Oh I know, you just like hearing your self talk and hoping someone will validate you. Here is a hint. That is not how you do that.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The idea behind the mod works well - in theory - when you can make the game into some unified directive almost-rpg via modpack.
The reality though is, the implementation of both HQM and some of the mods they are using it with blows so very hard that its basicly a choice between getting rid of it - pissing off players - or suffering terrible server instability with it.
If someone made an HQM that was actually robust and stable, did not crash the server more often then anything else, did not loose its save data frequently, and did not use so much CPU and processing power, that would be an entirely different ordeal.

As it stands though, I resent the HQM situation because I cannot remove it from a modpack without consequences, but I would very much like to, because it is not stable and not fit for server use - at all.
I'm not sure I understand. Why would you want to remove HQM from an HQM mod pack? If you like the mods in a given pack, assemble that pack yourself. There's no need to take, say, "Agrarian Skies" and remove integral pieces of it.

And what is the HQM "situation?" Do you resent that the mod itself simply exists Out There? Its worth pointing out that the modpacks you're thinking of would, in all likelihood, not even exist if HQM and AS hadn't developed as they did. They were designed as HQM packs with HQM in mind.

Perhaps I need to tinker with HQM on a weaker server or with way more players to follow your concerns, but as it stands, I'm in the dark because I haven't encountered the problems you're encountering.

I liken HQM to "Scenarios" in open worldbuilder games such as Civilization: its a defined space where everyone can play by the same defined rules and compare notes. The lack of a perfect sandbox world is critical, otherwise I'm comparing my apples to your oranges. And for the purposes of these modpacks, that's just not the point.

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure I understand. Why would you want to remove HQM from an HQM mod pack? If you like the mods in a given pack, assemble that pack yourself. There's no need to take, say, "Agrarian Skies" and remove integral pieces of it.

And what is the HQM "situation?" Do you resent that the mod itself simply exists Out There? Its worth pointing out that the modpacks you're thinking of would, in all likelihood, not even exist if HQM and AS hadn't developed as they did. They were designed as HQM packs with HQM in mind.

Perhaps I need to tinker with HQM on a weaker server or with way more players to follow your concerns, but as it stands, I'm in the dark because I haven't encountered the problems you're encountering.

I liken HQM to "Scenarios" in open worldbuilder games such as Civilization: its a defined space where everyone can play by the same defined rules and compare notes. The lack of a perfect sandbox world is critical, otherwise I'm comparing my apples to your oranges. And for the purposes of these modpacks, that's just not the point.
I resent it because it doesn't work properly and the mod dev has on numerous occasions outright refused to fix his mod (after admitting and beeing shown what is broken in it) because he doesn't like servers.
On these grounds I personally will never make a modpack featuring it, and I resent that more modpacks have it at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.