Going to dentist tomorrow, cavities.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, I've always not really liked the dentists and I've only had one or maybe two cavities before but I have about 2-3 now and the odd part is, my dad is the dentist. I'm just nervous about getting it filled, not about it hurting but just the way it will feel once I am numbed up and he starts drilling. Any tips for not being so nervous or anything? I just wish I could get this over with.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I had about 3 root canals not too long ago and I'm actually going to the dentist today to have 2 more cavities filled in
best thing to do when you're nervous is to be honest to the dentist (your dad in this case) and tell them that you're nervous, that way they can help you through it

what I always do when they start drilling and such is to just look at the ceiling, find a spot to concentrate on and keep looking at that spot, it keeps my mind busy while they're doing their thing

Reactions: pc_assassin

Eleganten

Jul 29, 2019
Well, being a regular customer at the dentist, with about 80% of my teeth crapped, I certainly know the feeling. I get anxious and nervous at the dentist, and only by communicating your anxiety can you get the best of the worst...
A good and understanding dentist will always listen and will take extra care of anxious patients, gibe the some extra local anesthetic and take their time.
Like Yusunoha said, finding a spot in the ceiling to focus on helps, as do audio books and music.
My best tip is to get a good audiobook downloaded and have that to keep your mind busy

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Alrighty, I am heading off to the dentist today at 6:00 GMT -6, Will post back with results or any hilarious stories that happen.

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Alrighty, I am heading off to the dentist today at 6:00 GMT -6, Will post back with results or any hilarious stories that happen.
Man this is a long dentist trip! Is your dad removing your jaw? :p

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Man this is a long dentist trip! Is your dad removing your jaw? :p

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2
Either that or good old dad decided to ask his son a few questions while the happy gas had inhibitions real low. Our friend Bigpak is being interrogated about every mysterious "occurrence" that's happened as he grew up. You know, what really happened to the car on prom night... who really broke the vase in 96, and just exactly why do three "kids" each have different stories regarding the tree house fire of 2000......

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
welp, the appointment at the dentist yesterday went pretty well for me
2 cavities were filled, didn't use any anesthetics because it wasn't really needed in my opinion
sure, it hurt a bit, but the concentrating on a spot on the ceiling worked pretty well for me

I had more of a problem with not really being able to swallow while they did their work
your throat really gets irritated with all the stuff that's happening with all those things in your mouth and almost being upside down in the chair so it's hard to swallow
but slowly breathing through the nose and concentrating works pretty well aswell so

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I can see a source for the nervousness (sorry for the late post... just saw this)...

I mean, how do you ask your dad for better drugs? :D

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Alrighty, It's obviously been two days however it all went well more or less just a little bit of sensitivity left over from getting composite fillings instead of amalgam fillings. Each day it's getting better and not surprisingly I did require a lot of numbing and apparently you can have up to ten carpules of lidocaine is the max amount. I only actually used 2.5 or 3. So I am happy overall, gotta go back next Thursday to get 2 more done and have these two that I got done polished. I am quite happy with the results. Will post further results and stories.

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
Even though I inherited unbreakable teeth, I still hate the dentist. Who doesn't...
My adult teeth are fine and don't have any fillings despite my mediocre brushing habits, but back in the day I needed some fillings for my baby molars. The dentist must've taken out too much enamel at the time and one day a molar with a filling literally split in two. One half fell out early and I had to wait for the other half to eventually fall out. But I think it was with a school-based dentist which are well known for being pretty iffy, so it's not a common thing.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
*shrugs*

I spent enough time in the chair as a youngster between reconstruction surgeries, braces and such that I'm pretty inured to the experience..... even If I haven't been in for quite some time..... that's more of a financial issue than anything else though.