Update to Windows 8.1

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
So I am on the fence on wether or not I should update to Windows 8.1 from 8.0. Will this change anything? Will I have to do anything before I update? Would 8.1 fix the issue where I need to run windows 7 drivers to run OpenGL or would the new drivers work? Please help me!

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Qazplm601

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
I bought my computer with 8.1 as it was hitting the store shelves, I don't know the exact differences between 8.0 and 8.1 but the differences are just small tweaks from what I've experienced.
I just ran 1.6.4 to check if I can use OpenGL and it seems to work fine for me.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
8.1 has a bit of a difference. You can access apps from the desktop as if they were standard programs instead of Win8 apps. Apart from that I don't know of much difference.

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
So small gain and nothing lost? Anything that would keep me from doing it? For example losing data or having to reformat my drive

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I just clicked on a button in PC Settings and waited to update my laptop. No bad side effects I know of.

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Ok thanks I think I will do that then.... If only.to stop the damn alerts everytime I boot up my laptop :p

triblades

Jul 29, 2019
You get a button in the bottom-left corner without playing 'search the pixel'. And you can shutdown the computer from the blockbox. (aka start menu)
Also the 'show all apps' button is much better displayed.

The rest is just bugfixes etc. Remember that Windows 8 retires earlier then 8.1 so patches and support is mostly based on 8.1.

Reactions: pc_assassin

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
So I did update and it broke my OpenGL :( had to download the Windows 7 drivers again....

Evaninho94

Jul 29, 2019
There is only one thing 8.1 does and that's add a button :|
Im waiting for windows 10 (Because Microsoft can't count)

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
There is only one thing 8.1 does and that's add a button :|
Im waiting for windows 10 (Because Microsoft can't count)

Hmmm I don't even want to think about W10

----------------------------------------------------

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Is it more of a xp/vista/7 type version or a Windows 8 version?

Evaninho94

Jul 29, 2019
Is it more of a xp/vista/7 type version or a Windows 8 version?

Its windows 8 but without the metro UI and better snapping.[DOUBLEPOST=1414420452][/DOUBLEPOST]What is it with Japanese anime characters on here...

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Its windows 8 but without the metro UI and better snapping.[DOUBLEPOST=1414420452][/DOUBLEPOST]What is it with Japanese anime characters on here...

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/index.php?threads/51423/
ANIME AVATARS!
Something that we did that we were only going to do for a week but we all decided to just stick with it

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Basically No it changes nothing, You should use windows 7 thats all i can say

I disagree. I've been running Win 8 since the 8.0 developers preview and have had zero problems related to Windows with any software I use, and in fact a 10-20% frame rate increase depending on the game I ran.

The only issue I've seen at all with modded Minecraft was when I loaded Java 1.8.25 and that (so far) has only been with DW20 1.7.10 v. 1.0.2 crashing to the desktop after initially creating a new world, but after that I just restart and the world loads and runs normally.

Windows 10 preview seemed to provide an even better environment at first, since I just updated my convertible laptop from Win7 to win10 directly and most of the drivers were kept, but the first update replaced the whole package and I lost both the touch screen and stylus operation as well as my biologic login (fingerprint scanner) due to the drivers no longer being supported or available from the original companies that provided them to HP :mad:

Oh, and modded MC wouldn't load on Win10 but they are concentrating on business aspects for win10 first, with the focus for entertainment development scheduled for Feb 2015. Also, the laptop only has 4GB ram which considering the suggested Java ram configuration for DW20 1.7.10 is perfectly understandable.

Last edited:
Reactions: pc_assassin

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
I have a server with windows server 2012 installed which is basically Windows 8 and I have had it for over a year and I cant wait to install cent-os

Sent from my flux armor using the tappatalk app from the flux store