Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Okayyy... basically, people are ragequitting because Microsoft bought Mojang. The question is, why? Why are they leaving, without even letting things settle down?
The deal hasn't even been completed yet; we still have several months ahead of us before everything is finalized.
We don't know anything about the future; we can only make "educated" guesses based on past events. Maybe, hopefully, this time, Microsoft will do something different.
Maybe "Microcraft" will be even better in the long run. And maybe not. Nothing's definite. We hardly even know anything yet.
That's why I'm sticking around. There's still some glimmers of hope for these communities. Nothing was said about shutting down community-based projects yet, right?
Such as servers? Minecon? MCForums?

I'll be here to see this all come out in the wash...

atomicgermx69

Jul 29, 2019
My only statement on this is simple: Lets not jump overboard until we know the ship is sinking. All we know is MS bought MC. That's it. Everything else is speculation right now.

I would have to agree .....some of you on this news sound like this :p:p:p

What will be is what will be you can't stop change all you can do is adapt with it or overcome from it........;)

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
Okayyy... basically, people are ragequitting because Microsoft bought Mojang. The question is, why? Why are they leaving, without even letting things settle down?
In the case of cpw, it's because of his personal stance vs Microsoft. Whatever they do, FML will either be shut down or contribute to MC's success and thus to MS's income. I can fully understand that.

As a simple player I wouldn't stop *playing* MC, especially the versions released by Mojang, just because it's owned by MS now.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
In the case of cpw, it's because of his personal stance vs Microsoft. Whatever they do, FML will either be shut down or contribute to MC's success and thus to MS's income. I can fully understand that.

As a simple player I wouldn't stop *playing* MC, especially the versions released by Mojang, just because it's owned by MS now.
Not just cpw, although I guess I understand his place. I've seen others quitting though, and not on these forums.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012

I already paid for minecraft, and that is where it will stand. Only thing is that I will not spend another cent for minecraft unless something can truly convince me to do so.

Reactions: RedBoss and Golrith

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
I think that the doom and gloom is a little over the top as things stand. Sure, Microsoft will be looking to recoup their investment, but I'm pretty sure that they realise that cracking down heavily on a what is a very open, collaborative community is horrific PR. Charging more money for the same service? Terrible PR. I find it hard to believe the staff at Mojang, some of whom came from the community, are going to sit back and let it happen. If they decide to walk out in protest in addition to the reduced player-base as a result of such actions, then the investment Microsoft made could very well go sour.

People like cpw, who leave because they don't want their work to contribute to Microsoft, I can completely understand.
People who leave because of the fear of what might happen without having any knowledge of what will happen, I cannot understand at all. Nobody is locking the exit doors. You can leave at any time. Why not wait and see what happens first?

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
it's actually not that hard until you get to the 5x setup.

Up to 4x it just looks a bit like this:
View attachment 12905
Even five times isn't that hard.
Mekanism-flowchart.png

Luke Gevaerts

Jul 29, 2019
Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

I'm mildly curious to see if Mojang under Microsoft will fare any better than, say, Ensemble Studios, but I suspect not. Can't say I'll lose sleep over it either way - I've seen so many developers get bought out, used up and discarded that it's hard to motivate myself to care about it any longer. If it works out alright, good for them; if it doesn't, I'll just go back to playing any one of the dozens of games I also play. Jaded much? Sure, but that's life.

Ithithdui

Jul 29, 2019
My suggestion: Don't quit. Microsoft bought it, but Mojang will probably still develop it. So we shouldn't see too many changes. And if they kill modding, well, we have 1.2.5 - 1.8. I am not quiting. Until I get tired of Minecraft I am not quiting.

Reactions: Wagon153

Tabu

Jul 29, 2019
Microsoft has already showed what their plans are... Charging for skins on their store for the console version. On top of that modding is dead. Back up your existing versions now. Once this goes through DRM is going to be in full force.

With that said Mojang will still be developing the game I am sure, but with how companies like EA have handled games like Battlefield we know how little the studios have in regard to what goes on... I wont support them any longer. I am one person and that may not mean a thing, but to me it will...

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Microsoft has already showed what their plans are... Charging for skins on their store for the console version. On top of that modding is dead.

On what are you basing that claim? I have seen nothing stated that says modding is dead.

Reactions: Wagon153

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
{From "what's new" thread. Quoted here cuz I'm a good boy.}

Unto that I say: Meh.

No modder is invaluable. Others will fill the void no matter what so long as there is a demand for mods.
My only real hope now is that Mdiyo's mods will get maintained by someone. It would be a pity if they died, tinkers is kinda handy.

SlowboyFast

Jul 29, 2019
Microsoft has already showed what their plans are... Charging for skins on their store for the console version. On top of that modding is dead. Back up your existing versions now. Once this goes through DRM is going to be in full force.

With that said Mojang will still be developing the game I am sure, but with how companies like EA have handled games like Battlefield we know how little the studios have in regard to what goes on... I wont support them any longer. I am one person and that may not mean a thing, but to me it will...

Well, Msft got a permission from MOJANG/4j to do that, so it's not entirely their fault that skinpack DLCs were paid.

No modder is invaluable. Others will fill the void no matter what so long as there is a demand for mods.

Exactly

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019

As much as I hate to defend Microsoft, They aren't EA. I've yet to see Microsoft release an unfinished product, regardless of how bugged, then charge for the rest of the product.

Also, as far as i know, Minecraft didn't own any subsidiary or other company that MAKES video games. They do make the Xbox, but they don't make games for it. Mojang could become the basis for them venturing into making games, instead of making bad products to play the games on that just fall flat to it's competitors.